Is eating meat morally wrong

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Theoryofrelativity, Mar 14, 2006.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

Ah! Once again you let your true colours peak through. You also like to hunt animals for pleasure, as well as eating them for fun. And you think your hunting, which causes yet more pain and suffering for no good reason, is also justifiable, I suppose. How do you justify your hunting, by the way? Do you just enjoy hurting things?

No. A person who cannot appreciate that creatures other than himself can suffer, and that that might matter, is stunted.

Oh, you hunt for altruistic reasons to ... er ... save the deer by ... er ... killing them. Interesting logic. Why didn't the deer starve to death before you came in with your gun to save them?

It is one thing for you to decide how to live (or not) your own life. But for you to make arbitrary decisions on behalf of other animals is presumtuous and selfish in the extreme. Once again, you merely confirm that, to you, all animals are nothing more than your property, to deal with as you see fit.

What moral code do you live by? "Do what's good for TW" seems to be it, as far as I can tell.

There are multiple aims of imprisonment, which we can discuss in a separate thread if you wish. One aim is rehabilitation, which benefits the organism. There are other aims, too, which benefit the wider society. Anyway, this is off topic. Discuss it elsewhere, if you wish.

No. You are essentially saying "I can eat animals because they all have to die at some stage anyway, so it is ok for me to kill them for my own pleasure." By the same reasoning, I should be allowed to kill you arbitrarily at any time I wish, because you'll die eventually anyway.

Then you think wrong - again. Why didn't you eat the porcupine? Not hungry? Too many spines?

What I wonder is why you say you care about porcupines, but when it comes to cows and sheep and deer you don't give a damn. Either you're a hypocrit or you're being dishonest.

No. Now I want to know why you want to draw arbitrary lines between species. If you say it is wrong for a cow to kill another cow, why is it ok for you to kill a cow? just because its you, and you're special? Or some other reason?

But I have a defensible basis for my belief, whereas yours is based on expediency only.

Haven't we been through this already? I can't force you to act morally. All I can do is to urge you to do so. The choice is yours.

You're right. You can block your ears and shut your eyes and pretend not to see or hear the arguments presented to you. You can go on putting your own pleasure as your number 1 priority, and I can't stop you. But I can condemn you, and those like you, and I can certainly show you up for the hypocrite you are - claiming to care about animals - but only when it doesn't interfere with your pleasure or hobbies.

If you can find a flaw in any of my arguments, I will join your "free thinking" parade. But so far, you have produced no supportable arguments for your position, and haven't made a dent in mine.

Do I want you to share my views on vegetarianism? Of course I do. Thousands of animals will be saved if you get some common sense. And at what cost? A little thinking about what you eat, and a little typing time for me. Sounds like a bargain to me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hapsburg:

The only country which spells "foetus" and "aluminium" wrongly is the good old US of A.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

"Do that which honors my family, my friends, myself, and Kentucky above All Else".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

No, due to encroachments of the farming communities you vegetarains need to sustain yourselves driving away natural predators and providing a abundance of summer time vegetation to feed the deer, but a lack of branch to carry them in the winter. That is why i take my one buck a year. I do enjoy hunting or I would leave it to someone else, but that part is irrelevent. I hunt the deer to help maintain the balance that is created by agriculture.

I appreciate that an animal suffers. i really do. Just as i appreciate you suffer. The thing is that in the end I am a predator and certain animal types are prey. If you got a problem with that leave Earth behind and set up a colony elsewhere. May I suggest Charon.

No, not all animals are my property, only the ones that belong to me.

No, my moral code is to do right by me and mine. To help those who help themselves. To let no wrong go unpunished.

No this is perfect place, you advocate you do not want to subjugate anything to unnecessary harm. Yet you imprison a being that is simply doing as it will just like any animal would. You have a very interesting double standard there.

No I am saying I am not bothered with their deaths to feed me becuase death is part of life. If we refrained from doing anything becuase something might get hurt we would have to lay down and just expire. Everything you do has a negative and positive impact somewhere. Part of life is recognizing that this balance exists and has existed for millenia and will exist long after you are gone. You can try to change it all you want, and I admire your zeal, but in the end it will be just the same becuase there will be the equal and opposite reaction.

Do i need a reason? I've had porcupine before and it is tasty. You seem almost offended i don't eat every animal. Strange.

No I like cows, sheep, deer, pigs, and many other animals. However I know that most of them are simply future prey. If i see one sick i will tend to it, if I can. If not I find a vet. However when it comes to slaughtering time I would not hesitate to put them down painlessly.

Why not? Simply put I would not call a bear that attacked and ate some hiking moron a murderer. I would not villianize a tree frog that hopped on someone and killed them with their poison. Now a human being that actively murders a human is another thing entirely.

My beliefs need no defense. That you think yours need them says a lot.

You're right you can't but it doesn't stop you from trying.

Oh, i am listening and absorbing then rejecting as invalid. You have made an assumption and truly did the old saying justice. When you are ready to listen to other people and accept instead of condemn you might actually make something of your beliefs.

I can't dent what isn't there and no need to support the obvious.

That is your belief and you are entiteld to it. However it is my belief that if we abandon our position as omnivores we are abandoning what has helped us survive and thrive so long. I also believe that without the reliance we have on animals they will eventually cease to exist entirely. Then nothing will be saved, at all.

8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

James R, is it possible to eat vegan diet without also taking supplements and remain very healthy and strong?

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't.

IMO it becomes a moral issue when we intentially force animals to suffer. Veal and goose liver would be great examples. I've eaten both and I feel crappy knowing that I have promoted some pretty extreme suffering.

Animals have the capacity to experience suffering (emotional and physical). Humans have the capability to inflict sufferening on animals and if it's our intention to do so then it's absolutely a moral issue.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

I'm sure I've explained to you before that if all humans became vegetarian, LESS farmland would be needed to support the same human population. So, your argument is a non-starter.

You seem very fond of the naturalistic fallacy, since you seem to rely on it as your main argument. Do you understand the flaws I have previously pointed out in that argument? Or is it that you just prefer to ignore them because believing in the fallacy is a good way to avoid feeling guilty or taking responsibility for your actions? "It's not my fault, Your Honour. Nature made me do it!"

When do the deer you kill become your property? After you kill them, I imagine. So, property is theft, according to you. Animals, of course, have no right to autonomy. If you wish to use them or take possession of them, then you are entitled, unless you are prevented from doing that by another human.

My assessment of your morals has been basically correct all along. It's all "me me me". According to you, your own interests always take precedence, whenever they conflict with the interests of another living being. So, if you're a bit peckish, or you feel manly as you pull the trigger of a gun against an unarmed animal, then the animal's rights count for nothing.

Wrongs go unpunished as long as you commit them. Other people may be punished for evil deeds, but, in your view, you can do no wrong, because your interests trump all others.

This is a very primitive moral system to live by. It is also quite sociopathic.

It is not surprising, given your penchant for the naturalistic fallacy, that you think it is not right to lock criminals up. However, once you realise that I do not regard the naturalistic fallacy as a valid moral argument, you will also understand why I think that inflicting the deprivation of liberty on criminals is justifiable.

What a defeatist attitude you have. You are saying "We can never change anything. We are powerless to change our world in any way, so we may as well not bother trying."

No, I understand now. Since your life is governed by your pleasure, you don't act in a consistent manner, but instead just follow your carnal desires at any particular time. It's not your fault. Nature makes you do it.

Why? Nature made them do it. Didn't it?

Everybody should be able to give reasons for what they believe. Humans are meant to be rational beings. If you believe something is morally right with no reasons, then you are not rational.

I'm listening to you. I just disagree with you, for reasons I have made very clear. You, on the other hand, are getting all defensive, saying you don't need to justify yourself to anybody. Why?

You think that being omnivores has been the only thing which has assisted human survival? No role for technology, language, culture? It's all down to eating meat. Hmmm...

It is strange reasoning indeed that says we must kill animals in order that they may live.

Theoryofrelativity

I'm not vegan, but I know vegans. They seem to be fine, but I don't know the answer for sure.

Certainly, many animals survive on a vegan diet, without supplements, including some apes.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Your argument stays true as long as we eat 100% efficently and do not increase our population. Plus under your proposal so many more people will have to sustenance farm just to live. That means more deforestation.

First of all there is no naturalist fallacy except in your little head. Second some of what you see as flaws are actually advantages. I will live and thrive in place you are made into an entree (not be me of course). I recognize my own wrongs when I commit them. Hunting and Eating meat is not a wrong unless it is human or endangered species.

I believe some where in Genesis

Actually i take my responsibility as a hunter seriously. I only hunt bucks, who are definately not unarmed. My morals however are not about me strictly. Me and mine is rather common. That means me, my family, my friends, and my pets. Of course I put them before anyone or anything else. Anyone who says different is either a liar or a sociopath.

I never said this, didn't you see the do right by me and mine and ALL wrong be punished. I've done a few wrongs in my past and I accepted the punishment with pride and learned from my errors. Have you?

Actually it is completely unsociopathic. That you would think that i have no regard for others is odd. Perhaps it speaks of your own qualities more than mine. It might be primitive though, then again I don't live by your apparant moral code of "Judge first, judge second, and judge third, and when proven wrong call them sociopaths." then again I could be wrong about your code

Actually I think it is right to lock them up. Just as I think it is right to execute some of them. I hold no double standard as you do. I know that harm even if not neccesary can be morally right.

No, I believe we can change the world, just not human nature. We are predators and omnivores. We are the fiercist, meanest, cruelest, and most deadly animals on this planet. We got to the top by doing what we do. I think it is remarkable thing that we civilized as much as we have. But if we become any more complacent we will lose that edge and be replaced. I for one hope we never lay down. I hope if you and your kind suceed your grandchildren put it back the way it is now. I am not defeatist becuase I know myside will win again and again.

Actually I act against my own desires quite a bit of the time. I act as I act becuase I choose to be comfortable with what I am. You will not find a fiercer friend or more terrible enemy. I am calm and controlled becuase I embrace all of my humanity.

That is true for everything but the human. There is no call for murder (the planned and premeditated death of your fellow man) in nature. Bear do not plan killing other bears. So obviously nature does not make man murder man. But then you don't recognize that kind of thing do you. You do not see the distinction between bear and man.

I am rational, quite rational as my therapist says, if a bit depressed. I have explained my beliefs to you. You are just too dense to see them. I see no need to defend them becuase they need no defending. I am not attacking your beliefs, I am attacking your methods of trying to influence people. You're going about it completely the wrong way.

Answered above.

Yes, becuase what was the first innovation in all probablity? The club. What did we use the club for? Killing animals to eat

If we were frugivores we would have never made that first innovation. We would have simpley wandered the world and died off during the last ice age.

Not just animals, but plants, molds, fungi, bacteria, virus, and all manner of things. It is strange reasoning to think that we can survive without killing something.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

The 'supplemented' veg diet is of interest to me, as I am a wannabee' vegetarian, when I have figured out a suitable and easily managed diet that is, and I am sure this will include NOT eating fish, as I believe their sufferring is greater than for animals.

A friend of mine who had been vegetarian for nearly 15yrs, recently found herself craving chicken... she craved it for a couple of weeks before succumbing to the urge to eat it. She has put this 'need' down to her hectic physical workout regime and felt maybe her 'body' was asking for more protein? Any ideas on this James?

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

Obviously, population increase would mean we would need more food. But what has that got to do with the relative merits of us being vegetarian or meat eaters? Nothing, as far as I can see.

Please explain.

It's not just in my little head. Do a little research. Google "naturalistic fallacy" and see how many sites pop up, which can explain it for you.

I don't see why. Eating meat doesn't give you any special advantages in the normal world in which we live.

Why is hunting and eating humans wrong, but hunting and eating animals ok? That's just speciesism.

Hmmm... not surprising that you're also religious. Just for fun, here are a few guesses I would make about you. A couple of them may be wrong:

You love hunting and shooting, and probably fishing. You're religious. You support the death penalty. You care for your immediate family, but don't much like other folks. I'm guessing you also vote Republican and live in a state which voted Republican in the last federal election. You support the NRA, if not monetarily then at least in terms of agreeing with their views on guns. You probably don't beleive in giving "handouts" to the underprivileged. You don't know many black people, and you think most poor people deserve to be poor, ultimately, because they just don't work hard enough and take the opportunities available to them in the great US of A. You owe nothing to anybody; as long as you care for your family, that's all that really matters. You've probably always lived in the same state, and seldom, if ever, been overseas. You think America is the greatest country in the world.

Do you hunt them with your bare hands, or do you use a gun? Do they use guns?

Yes, I have.

It is interesting that you say that ALL wrong ought to be punished. But then you also say that you would not consider a bear killing a man to be wrong. I wonder how you would really react if, say, a vicious dog attacked your child, injurying him or her badly. Would you say "Well, the dog hasn't done anything wrong. It was natural for the dog to attack, because it is a carnivore. It was a stronger predator than my daughter, so it's only fair that she should suffer."

In fact, I'm guessing you'd be demanding that the authorities remove the dog and have it put down immediately.

Clearly, we differ on that point. I maintain that wilful, unnecessary harm is morally wrong. So far, you haven't made any attempt to explain how this is a double standard.

Win what? Win a way back to an age where life was "nasty, brutish and short"? Where the strong dominate the weak, and where respect for life is non-existent? I don't want to live in your world, TW.

Now here is an example of a double-standard. You put "humanity" on a pedestal. Other animals are just your property, but humans are mystical, magical beings, and their "humanity" somehow makes them better than everything else.

If embracing your "humanity" means hurting and killing other beings for no other reason than your own pleasure, then I advocate rejecting "humanity" and embracing a higher moral standard. I say, we ought to use our excellent minds to rise above the dictates of our biology and make rational and intelligent choices about how we live and interact with our environment. We don't need to be grunts, driven only by instinct and primitive drives.

Many animals kill members of their own species. To take a rather close example, look at chimpanzees. But then again, I probably should have added "You don't believe in evolution" to my list of your probably qualities above, so you probably won't see how this is relevant.

No, I don't. What do you think is the important distinction between bear and man? Obviously not the difference in intellectual capacity, or the capacity to reason morally, since you advocate that human beings ought not to reason morally, but to act as nature intended, on instinct - just as bears do.

How should I go about it? What would convince you that meat eating was wrong - hypothetically speaking, of course?

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Theoryofrelativity:

In my experience, it is simply a matter of balance. You can quite happily live on a vegetarian diet if you eat a range of different foods. Eat different kinds of vegetables, rice, pasta, fruit, tofu, mushrooms, etc. Vegetarians also eat eggs and drink milk, though vegans do not.

A person who says "I am a vegetarian ... but I eat fish and chicken" is not a vegetarian at all, for obvious reasons. Most people who say this kind of thing tend to be trying to lose weight or otherwise get healthier, or else they just want to sound cool and different. Many of them "revert" to eating meat at some point (once they are sick of their weight-loss diet, or they are no longer getting mileage from the "strange" aura which surrounds them as vegetarians).

It wouldn't surprise me if she actually needed something that is in chicken. I think people need to listen to what their bodies tell them. If you crave something, it is often for a good reason. That is only my opinion, though.

In this case, perhaps she needed more protein in her diet - or some other nutrient. A vegetarian wouldn't resort to actually eating chicken, usually, but would try to work out what was missing, and find a food which provided it, instead.

15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I couldn't agree more! I find this very annoying. My friend has always eaten fish, I have another 'vegetarian ' friend who eats chicken! I love them both dearly, so won't elaborate on their (not so unique as it happens) definition of what is a 'vegetable'

16. mountainhare Banned Banned

Scott:
    I think James means that you're committing an 'Appeal to Nature' logic fallacy (which you indeed are). Try Googling 'Appeal to Nature logic fallacy. It's logically unfeasible to argue that an activity is moral because it is natural.

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Is it now? Does nay animal you know act immorally? no. Think on that.

18. finewine Registered Senior Member

"The real question today is not when human life begins, but, 'What is the value of human life?' The abortionist who reassembles the arms and legs of a tiny baby to make sure all its parts have been torn from its mother's body can hardly doubt whether it is a human being." President Ronald Reagan, (1983).

This quoted only because it states the obvious.
    The answer to the question really boils down to what value is placed on animal and human life.

Clearly you missed reading the link about the surviving fetus and its suffering.

I agree when killing animals to eat there should be no suffering in their killing but then I may be suffering while I am starving so my value overrules the value of the animal.

Don't tell me I have a choice to eat plants. I've read that already.
    As the apex of the animal kingdom I have choice to eat plants or animals whichever I prefer.

Balancing my interests out with that of the animal and mine will most likely win since I am at the top of the animal kingdom.

I am sure that there will never be agreement to the morality of killing life, human or animal, because everyone in their own moralities and justifications will deem the value of life differently which is obvious here.

What makes one more valuable than the other to justify its killing? James will adamently say to not kill animals because of the needless suffering and yet he will kill a fetus and say it does not suffer and it is not valuable and causes suffering to the mother because she prefers to not raise a child.

I will eat the meat of the "suffering" animal because I prefer it to only eating plant foods.

Is there a definitive determiner for what is morally wrong or right?
    Value??? That is subjective. What is valuable to you may not be valuable to me. How can that determine what is morally wrong or right?

19. mountainhare Banned Banned

TW Scott:
    Yes, it is. If you wish to argue about the validity of the 'Appeal to Nature Logic Fallacy', don't take it up with me. Take it up with the philosophers, who have consistently claimed time and time again that an appeal to nature is a logic fallacy.

1. An animal doesn't know the difference between right and wrong. Humans do. So your attempted analogy is flawed.

2. Animals need to kill other animals to survive. We do not. Yet another reason why your attempted analogy is flawed.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adnature.html

Thinks on that...

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually that is philosophical opinion and not that bright either. it clearly ignore animals intelligence in matter. My cat knows right from wrong the same way I do. He was taught it. Our dogs know right from wrong the same way. Animals in the wild have a sense of it as well. Many animals are taught by their forebearers what they should be and shouldn't be doing. Is that not having morals?

21. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

Eating meat a moral issue when we kill each other for no reason at all? I find that difficult to swallow. It's one thing not to mistreat animals for no reason, but when is enough too much? Why would it be morally wrong for us to do something that comes naturally to us. I've heard people say that the human body is not designed to consume meat, that we are designed or evolved as herbivores and other crap like that. The fact is that if we weren't supposed to eat meat, we wouldn't be able to. I don't go around taking chunks out of trees, and eating them. However, termites do, and they have a digestive system complimented with bacteria that allow them to digest wood. Humans don't have that, so we don't eat wood. In the meantime, to say that eating meat is unnecessary and it is cruel to animals, I would point out that plants are alive, and that they react to damage to themselves by growing differently, while some even actively protect themselves, so is it morally better to eat plants instead? It seems the same to me.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

[bTW Scott:[/b]

I find it endlessly amusing that you ignore all substantive points I make, and instead try to distract from the issues with irrelevancies. Intellectual dishonesty is one of my pet peeves. You really ought to start taking some responsibility and stand up for what you believe, rather than continually trying to hide, in case the hollowness of your views is exposed.

In two consecutive posts, you contradict yourself. First, you assert that animals can't act immorally. Then, in the next post, you say your cat and your dog both know right from wrong, and that therefore animals have morals.

This is just a run around, isn't it? You don't actually know what you believe.

Also, your hypocrisy shines through once again. On the one hand, you say that you don't need to justify your actions to anybody - especially the eating of animals, because you are "superior" to them. And yet, in the next breath, you seek to hold animals to standards which you fail to live up to yourself. How ironic.

I suggest that you should just retire gracefully from this discussion right now, while you still have a modicum of credibility left.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

finewine:

I agree with Ronny. An unborn baby is undoubtedly human. I also think it should not have the rights of a human adult, unlike Ron.

But you won't starve if you don't eat meat. You can live quite happily on a healthy vegetarian diet.

Who put you on the apex? Yourself. Or maybe you're religious, like TW Scott, so you think God put you at the apex. Convenient, that.

My point here is that, assuming you ARE on the apex of creation, then surely you should have the responsibility of stewardship over the animals over which you have power. You ought to care for them as your God cares for you. Shouldn't you?

Did you read all the stuff on the naturalistic fallacy?

I agree. The question is: whose values are superior and defensible, and whose are self serving and arbitrary?

No. I say that, in some cases (and NOT in all cases, by the way), the interests of the mother are more important than those of her foetus. Whereas, right-to-lifers say the foetus is always more important, in every situation.

In other words, you do it for purely selfish reasons. That is not very moral, if you ask me.

No, there isn't. There are only good arguments and poor arguments.