Is eating morally wrong

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Xerxes, Mar 15, 2006.

1. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

I'd say there's a big difference between eating cow, pig and other farm animals and eating animals who're more in their natural habitat, like fish, reindeer or sheep, though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Facial Valued Senior Member

In that resorting to the latter would devastate the ecosystem.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

They don't have as much protein per gram as meat does, though.

Like I said, just plop the herd of cows on a patch of grass, and they will be fine. You don't need to grow special crops to feed the cows, all you have to do is raise them where there is an abundance of naturally-growing grass (a.k.a, nearly anywhere).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Nuts such as almonds have ridiculous amount of protein in them. Plus an abundance of other healthy things like b17.

They grow too slowly on a diet of grass.

8. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

Hapsburg
    I see the 3 or however many threads on the subject have been utterly wasted. That's just wrong, some things (like soy products) have even MORE protein per gram than meat does.
    can you say narrowminded and out of touch with reality?

9. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Wolf: That may be, but soy products taste like ape piss, and, well, beans give me gas, as do an overabundance of nuts.

Xerx: Use long-grass then. Or, alternatively, herd animals smaller than cattle that can be sustained by a grass praerie.

10. I don't know It's the pun police, run! Registered Senior Member

- No

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We've been doing that throughout human history, and it hasn't destroyed the ecosystem so far. We do have to be careful, of course, but I see no reason to stop eating those kinds of meat - except that killing animals is kind of mean, but it's still a lot less mean than keeping them in consentration camps for all their lives and then killing them

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

That would have been possible before our N. American fescue was overrun with European grasses. Prairie grasses nowadays are not very nutritious.

12. MadMaxReborn Life Through My Eyes Registered Senior Member

Somehow this became a "meat is bad" thread.

With the current size of the population, it is true that we could not live on wild game alone and keep a self-sufficient ecosystem. But it was done in the past, with a smaller population. So, if we performed a little population control, eating wild animals now becomes the most energy conserving alternative.

If energy conservation is the measure of morality, as it seems to be in this thread, then population control + eating wild game = highest morality.

Maybe this thread needs a slogan:

"Meat doesn't kill people, I do!"

Max

13. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

hapsburg
    You just haven't been eating the right kind of soy products. You can eat tofu for example. Fried tofu is probably the best. Or you can make things with soy milk (which I agree tastes like piss alone) such as cookies (I once made completely vegan cookies, and if I hadn't messed up on the amount of baking soda, they would have been really good), etc.
    You just have to know how to use things. You've probably never even tried have you? or have you gone to vegetarian restaurants? they have some really good stuff, a lot of which is made out of nuts and beans.
    and about gas, you don't have to eat that much to get the protein you need, and you don't have to eat it all at once.

14. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Tofu is the worst-tasting thing in existance. Especially tofurkey, that shit is just disgusting.

And I have been one vegetarian resteraunt, it was vietnamese food- just noodles with peanut sauce and bamboo shoots. Then, again, nooodles are good any day.