Is ESP real?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Magical Realist, Dec 4, 2017.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There are some amazing coincidences that happen to people. One in a million occurrences.

But there are 8.5 million people in New York City alone.

Suppose the chances of some bizarre coincidence, like the book-on-the-subway story is 1 in a million, per year. Then we'd statistically expect that kind of thing to happen about 8 times a year in New York City alone.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There's no evidence that any of these things are ESP.

I didn't bother watching it. It doesn't prove that ESP is real.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I bet he didn't use his ESP to know you wouldn't look at the link otherwise he wouldn't have posted it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seattle and sideshowbob like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You don't know what the odds of that incident with Anthony Hopkins is. There's finding the book he was looking for on the park bench. And then there's the book turning out to be his friend's copy. Ofcourse making the odds up off the top of your head makes it sound much more likely. You must be some sort of probability genius or something.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

There's that scientific objectivity again. lol!

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Will you 100% guarantee it will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that what ever it is is going to categorically prove ESP?

In case you haven't twigged that's a retorical question because even without ESP I know you won't

Past experience with your links have provided only 100% Cowpat so everyone who skips your links saves themselves the crushing disappointment of once again having their hopes dashed

Don't bother Lucy putting anymore footballs down I doubt any of us Charlie Browns will be taking a run at them

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The problem with looking at the event and then considering how improbably it seems to be is that you can do that with most anything after the fact.

What generally doesn't happen is to make a prediction before it happens, consistently.

You can take a large room full of people and ask them to guess something where there are two choices (for example). Those who are right, stay in the game and the others are out. The game is over when there is only one person left.

Maybe it took 10 rounds to get there. At that point, you could say, what is the likelihood of someone guessing correctly 10 times in a row! That person must have some ESP going on. It's incredible!

Yet, if you play the game again, you will (probably) get a different winner and so it goes each time. The point is, someone is going to win each time. You just don't know who that will be until the event is over.

You can reverse the events in your own day and make it sound like something was unlikely given the long chain of events but there will be some long chain of events every day.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You can make up whatever excuse you want for James R not watching the video. It still amounts to the same thing--refusal to look at any evidence.

"H12. If you ask another member for evidence, be prepared to read the information that he or she provides for you. Don’t claim that evidence has not been provided just because you didn’t take the effort to read it."

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Ummm let me think

First I'm sure James can stand up for himself and I am not making any excuse for him
    Second I didn't recall James requesting evidence. Just you providing the link without any prompting. If I missed the post where he requested evidence please correct me
    Third I have requested evidence and explanations in another thread which have not been forthcoming. Perhaps tidy up those loose ends before going off with another unsolicited post link

I noticed you did NOT address my request

Will you 100% guarantee it will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that what ever it is is going to categorically prove ESP?

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

That's exactly what you did, like you and James R were somehow the same entity. So I'll wait for James R to speak for himself before responding to your troll ass any further. FYI if you really want to see absolute proof of esp, watch the lecture by Russell Targ in post #49, the physicist who worked with the CIA for 15 years on the remote viewing program.

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Mario Varvoglis, Ph.D.

"In the late fall of 1976 I had an experience that would change my life. While asleep, I heard a female voice call out my name, twice. It resembled the voice of my sister or my mother. I woke up in a panic, with the distinct impression that the ceiling was about to collapse on me. I jumped out of bed and ran outside my bedroom. Moments elapsed, as I moved from one room to another, not quite sure what to do with myself. I checked the door locks, thinking that maybe, in my sleep, I had heard the sound of someone trying to break in. After all, this was Bedford-Stuyvesant -- one of the roughest neighborhoods of Brooklyn, New York. Nothing...

There was dead silence everywhere, and everything seemed quite normal. Yet, never before had I had such a strong sense that something was wrong; my gut was telling me that I was in imminent danger. Eventually, though, I convinced myself that this must have been a very bizarre kind of nightmare. I returned to bed, and fell asleep again.

The following morning I was startled awake by a phone call. A Greek friend of mine was calling to tell me that a terrible earthquake had hit Thessaloniki, the northern capital of Greece, where my family was living at that time. I was practically sick with anxiety, realizing, suddenly, the significance of the episode I had just lived through. When I finally got through to my parents on the phone, I was relieved to discover that they were unharmed, though thoroughly shaken by this unexpected event. My mother, alone in the apartment when the violent shaking had begun, had run out into the street, like thousands of others, fearing that the building's collapse was imminent."---http://archived.parapsych.org/what_is_psi_varvoglis.htm

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Oh well THE Russell Targ. I'm impressed. Of course if I'd have known it was Russell Targ it would have microwaved the popcorn and settled down for a riveting and dazzling display of scientific experiments showing how wonderful ESP works and how humankind can all now benifit from ESP

Of course YOUR Russell Targ would not be the other Russell Targ in Wiki would he?

No of course not. Your far to smart to be taken in by a dodgy person who has been found to have no credibility. That would never happen

Now excuse me while I don my tin foil hat and go looking for the popcorn. I am so happy I am about to be amazed by THE Russell Targ

Just for your interest this is a link to that other Russell Targ the pseudoscientist. Wouldn't like you to be taken in by him

------------------

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Targ

Targ originally became known for early work in lasers and laser applications. He joined Stanford Research Institute (SRI) in 1972 where he and Harold Puthoff coined the term "remote viewing" for the practice of seeking impressions about a distant or unseen target using parapsychological means. Targ's work on remote viewing has been characterized as pseudoscience[2][3] and has also been criticized for lack of rigor

--------------

He sounds very dodgy

Arrh here's the popcorn. Amazement here I come. Adjust tin foil hat, puts feet up, begins munching

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I can't replicate me losing my virginity, but that doesn't mean it didn't really happen.

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

You floored me

I can't believe it happened at all

Congratulations

Of course it could happen multiple times if the data and body parts manipulated

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Magical Realist:

Correct. That's why I didn't make any comment on the odds of that particular incident.

I don't need to watch that video to dismiss your claim that it provides proof of ESP. If such proof had come to light, it would be all over the major media, and it isn't. Enough said.

Michael 345 likes this.
  20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Then which "book on the subway" story are you referring to?

"Suppose the chances of some bizarre coincidence, like the book-on-the-subway story is 1 in a million, per year. Then we'd statistically expect that kind of thing to happen about 8 times a year in New York City alone."

You seriously gauge the truth of something based on whether the media is talking about it? That's absurd. How often does the media go into the truth of evolutionary theory?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

MR:

I gave the example of "some bizarre coincidence" with a probability of 1 in a million. I did not attempt to estimate the probability of the particular incident you referred to, though it might be fun to do that.

Where has this so-called "proof" of ESP been documented, other than in your claim that the video you posted proves ESP? Anywhere?

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I gave you proof already where scientists discuss the results of their own experiments in this field. If you refuse to watch them that's on you not me.

Here's some more documented studies:

http://deanradin.com/evidence/evidence.htm

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The experiments are far from conclusive, so once again: where's the proof?