Is global warming an Environmental Concern?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by PhiloNysh, Oct 5, 2003.

?

If global warming an environmental concern?

1. Yes -humans caused it

38 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. No- it is a natural cause

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Not sure

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Global warming means there is warming all over the world, right? Global cooling means the opposite. Well, there was global warming back in the <b>Medieval Warm period</b> (about 800-1300), when temperatures reached 2º C higher than today. – and allowed Vikings to colonize a big piece of green territory that they called: Greenland. Now it is a chunk of white ice, but the name <b>Ice Land</b> is taken by a nearby nation.

Then came a global cooling during the <b>Little Ice Age</b> from (about 1350-1850) when people all over the world were freezing to death. And I mean <b>ALL</b> over the world, <b>INCLUDING the Southern Hemisphere</b>, less prone to changes in temperature because the huge amount of ocean surface it has, and its infinite thermal inertia.

Leaving aside many proxy studies made in the SH confirming there was a Little Ice Age, the best way to confirm the existence of the Freezing Period are historical chronicles by the Spanish Conquerors. I had the chance to read the chronicles related to the foundation of Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia (15ºS – full tropical region) back in 1591 (its second foundation), that exist in the Historical Archives in Santa Cruz. Anyone can access them. And the chronicles described the region as (free translation) <b>“….fertile lands, with nice and temperate summers, but winters are so cold and harsh that tree trunk split in half because the terrible frosts.”</b>

I have visited the region every year since 1987 and finally I moved and lived in Santa Cruz for three straight years (see what I was doing: http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/photoEng.html) and I can assure you that the lowest temperature I have experienced there was 5º C in May 29th, 1996, during a terrible “surazo” (southwest wind from the nearby Andes).

Someone would say, how come there are trees in regions with trunk-splitting frosts? Of course, trees that grew before the cold period cam down in the region. 200-300 hundred year trees are common there (still). Curiously enough, average temperatures are going down in Bolivia, and the last three years have seen a series of temperatures below zero in the region! Could it be that global cooling is going on? See how every winter in Europe is worse than the previous, and summers are, in average, getting cooler, as they are getting cooler also in the USA. See this about temperature trends in the 48 contiguous US states: 32 states have warmed slightly, and 1<b>6 states have COOLED slightly.</b> So where is the <b>global</b> warming?

http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/Calen4/Ghostbusting.html

Comments?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

For all those who doubt that our climate is changing globally, here's a link
    Before and Now photos.

p.s. I'm not saying why or to what direction or how far, but that is what is.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. extrasense Registered Senior Member

Stop Buying Newspapers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

How is your comment relevant? You think that if those photos weren't on the BBC website, then the world reality would be different?

8. Andre Registered Senior Member

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

However the climate is changing in a lot of places. Best seen in Antartica and Artic.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Scientists think the little ice age occured when an ice dam broke in what is now Canada, spilling huge amounts of fresh water into the Atlantic. The result was that the ocean currents which distribute heat from south to north stopped temporarily and temperatures plunged.

Local cooling, paradoxically, can be an effect of global warming.

11. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

When someone tells ou something that is based on an implied scentifically arrived at fact the proof of the claim should be deolivered contemporaneouisly with the proof of the statement.

Geologist say no because the past has had warmer times, even without the apparent temperature altering inuluence due to carbon monoxide.

Instead of the scientific world spending so much effort convincing the rest of us what they fear, why not simply prove it?

Geistkiesel

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

( read more @ bbc.co.uk )

13. extrasense Registered Senior Member

Stop buying newspapers, save the forest.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Why should I buy newspapers? We have internet, if you hadn't noticed it.

15. Andre Registered Senior Member

The arctic is wobbling:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and Antarctica is cooling:

16. extrasense Registered Senior Member

It IS my poin!

Newspapers are probably the main cause of deforestation.

Anybody who cares about environment, must cancel his newspaper subscriptions now.

es

17. duendy Registered Senior Member

Please read this latest news. unfotunately i cant give url as my system cannot access them, unless i see them from a google search. all i got was title, though of course i've read it. maybe someone will put url up here for everyone to read:

'Greenhouse gases 'do warm oceans' by Paul Rincon'

Just type that title and name at google

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You mean the article I posted the link to a few hours ago?

19. duendy Registered Senior Member

oh, right, good. might know your Eye of Horus would spot it quick.......

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I doubt newspapers cause deforestation, it's cheap paper that can be made with recycled fiber. I think the clearing of land for cattle grazing, and logging for the housing industry have more of an effect.

21. extrasense Registered Senior Member

There is a good chance that you are right. But they nespapers are totally unnecessary, a lot of smart people already go without them. And production of the "cheap paper" is still harmful to the environment in many ways.

The BIG point I am trying to make, is that we need to focus on the deforestation, not on the fossil fuel emissions, which are 40 times less guilty.

The good thing of such change of perspective is that it opens the way to control the trend, by planting appropriate trees and such.

es

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If the world becomes reforested, it will still be too late. The original diversity of these ecosystems has already been greatly diminished. We should be planting hemp to replace wood products, and cut fossil fuel use dramatically, it's all inter-related.

23. cardiovascular_tech behind you with a knife Registered Senior Member

i think you are half way right but there is more to it then fossil fuels and cutting trees down sure they play a part in it all but look at the chemical make up of our atmosphere and do some research and you will see that fossil fuels play a little part in the whole thing, I believe methaine gas or how ever you spell it forgive the bad spelling there is much worse then carbon