Is Immortality Possible?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Hypercane, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Do you mean it is not for evolution but for other purpose--say existance?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm saying that you think that evolution is survival of the fittest.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

It doesn't have a purpose! It just happens.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Yes, thanks. What is it now--an evolution or an existance/maintainance or a destruction?

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

evolution is a process in time.

9. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Is evolution not a :a process of continuous change from a lower, simpler, or worse to a higher, more complex, or better state?

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No. Progress is not a dominant trend in evolution.

11. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Are we following evolution(as above) now?

12. Kumar Registered Senior Member

You can say it as the historical development of a biological group : PHYLOGENY, but what is positive & negative evolution? Is it follow : creation/positive>>maintainance>>destruction/negative, sequence.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

you might say:

positive evolution - speciation

negative evolution - extinction

But I don't know if there is a true meaning to associate evolution with either positive or negative. Evolution is there and just does its thing. It doesn't care (if it could care) about bad or good.

14. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Where we are now on evolution cycle? I mean: are we experiancing speciation or extinction? Just consider the qualities not the quantities.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Strangely enough, speciation and extinction seem to be in an equilibrium on a grander time scale. The number of species doesn't really seem to very much.

That said, there can be temporary imbalances. peoplpe claim that the actions of the human species are causing a rather large number of extinctions as we speak.

16. Kumar Registered Senior Member

In other words this can be called as 'nature balance' or 'nature balances itself '. Are we not become/done bit more? If we become/done bit more then, if nature/our actions are leading us to extinctions?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

There is no force guiding evolution in this sense. nature cannot strive to force the extinction of a species. Extinctions happen and new species come about in response.

18. Kumar Registered Senior Member

But that is the nature only. Now the other point.

Whether pHs of the body(body's environment) & evolution's(due to outside environment) both phases are inter-dependant or inter-linked? Can we effect this change in evolution by changing pHs og the body? It is bit important & deep to assess & understabd it. Pls also follow logics not only science.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

is there anything else than nature?

You can't change the pH of the body. The body requires homeostasis. pH changes will lead to conformation changes in the protein and hence affect their function.

20. Brandon9000 Registered Senior Member

You can probably extend a human life span to several hundred years by taking a combination of drugs that slow down the aging mechanisms, although you might have to take them failthfully almost every day from an early age.

I believe that it would probably also be possible to create very complex molecules, perhaps even more complex than hormones, almost like little computer programs, which perform various tasks related to undoing certain aspects of aging, e.g. repairing certain types of damage to cells or DNA.

21. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

The most promising option will be to develop cellular repair nanotechnology: have microscopic, self-replicating robots keeping watch from within every cell, ready to repair any significant molecular damage as it occurs.

They would ensure that replicative errors in the DNA did not accumulate as it divides, and rebuild fraying telomeres atom by atom. If there is a termination date programmed into out genome, they could isolate it - and excise, or neutralise, that particular sequence (better yet, it could be removed from the original zygote of every human).

Individual cells might still die eventually, but the nanites would ensure that daughter cells were not less perfect or efficient than their predecessors.

They might even be able to stimulate nerve cell regeneration, healing paralysis or leprosy - and preventing the brain from deteriorating over time. Also, neurally-integrated data storage devices would have to be provided as a buffer for ever-increasing centuries of memory. :m:

Science fiction?

So were transplants and cell cultures, once upon a time.

22. shadarlocoth Registered Senior Member

Well you need to compare the genes of the oldest people in the world. To see if there is any similarities. All of my grand parents that have died so far have made it into there 95+ range with out a problem. Even some of my great grand parents that died of natural causes. My grand mother on my mothers side is 94 years old and still living on her own. Yes she is a little shorter and looks like a blood hound but that's what drinking all your life does to you. So if you think genes have nothing to do with how long you live I would have to say your wrong. I should be living well into the 90's.

The trick is not immortality is looking good and feeling good your hole life. If you looked like you where 25 when you where 60 and 30 when you where 90 and could still act and do things like a 30 year old. That would be good enough for me. I think the trick will be directly controlling hormone production in the body. Keeping them at the levels of a 25 year old. Along with Stem cell Research they have proven that steam cells can make them self's into brain tissue. They have also proven that injecting stem cells into Alzheimer's effected people the tissue forms new brain tissue. This effetely reverses Alzheimer's. Stem Cells are the key lets say your liver is in bad shape like 80% of it is damaged all the cells are dead its black and shriveled. So inject stem cells into in with them triggered to form new liver tissue. Bang you have your self a liver that works better its not a new one but it would work.

Now I know some one out there is going to say your body would reject the stem cells because they are not your own. Well that's the trick, you take your dna and replace that in the embryo of a just fertilized egg before it splits. and bang stem cells with start to form and harvest away. Well until they find a better way to get stem cells.

Now you might be saying hormones have nothing to do with the aging effect on people. Then tell me why when a woman goes though metapause she falls apart? Reason her hormone levels have gone way out of wack.

Take my ideas or leave them. What it will all come down to is genetic engineering all the genes that make you look good and last longer being sliced into the wealth and the poor will be left to rot.

23. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Pls tell.

It is ok that blood pH is in narrow range of 7.35-7.45 appx. But we can have some other pHs as on GI tract pH. Some other body parts also have differant pH. Protiens & their differant substances works on differant pH. If various pHs are imbalanced, it can lead so some imbalances in blood pH. Just look at stomach pH, higher Hcl may lead to better digestion so more absorption of many body substances & lower Hcl may lead to less digestion so less absorption. Bile & pancreatic bicarb. will effect other substances. Constipation, loose motions, vomating, infections, gas formation, ulcers etc all can be pH dependent. Internally, you can assess its systematic effects by residue acid/alkaline & lower/higher absorption of all & most body substances. I think heriditory effect/environmental changes in body oprete through changes in GIT pH, alongwith internal changes in pHs. Can you provide some referance/information on differant pHs in body.