Is India The light of world........

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by geek, Feb 28, 2014.

?

Is India the light of world..........?

1. Yes

17.6%
  2. No

82.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Your statistics come from where? Because HPI of Australia is worse than HPI of India.

Dying in front of a tv set alone from a heart stroke after 3 Pizzas a day and McDonald McFries, is better than dying on the street being hungry?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

It's a rape every 22 minutes, so a correction.

You miss the point youreyes. Yes, Indians are classified as some of the happiest people in the world. As I noted in the previous post, that is because what is expected of them. If we say they are happy, then it means we are under no obligation to do anything to try to combat poverty, just as it ensures the Indian Government can rely on "they are happy" as an excuse to not improve living standards for the poor. The poor there are poor, because that is what they are meant to be and how they are meant to be. And that is the case in India.

My beginnings were in poverty. Sure, we had a roof over our heads, but we could not afford to buy food. When the relatives could not help us buy food, we would skip meals. Well my parents would and I would get what they could scrounge, or the scraps they had deliberately not eaten the day before for 'left overs'. The cost of living was so exorbitant, and rampant unemployment meant that my father was unable to find work, so in the end, he grew vegetables, so that we could at least have something to eat. We were lucky that we had enough land attached to the damaged house we lived in that we could plant food. And sure, we were happy.. Well, we were expected to be happy and people interpreted our smiles for happiness. They did not realise that I was able to wear the pretty dress I was wearing for so many years was because I was so skinny from lack of food that it allowed me to keep fitting in it. Like one person telling my mother that she was lucky to get to see the countryside as she traveled 3 hours by bus and foot each way every day to teach, because that was where she had been transferred to. Keep smiling and be happy, because that is what we were expected to be. Were we happy? Sure. Because we didn't know any better and we were expected to be happy.

Would I have preferred stuffing my face with pizza or a burger as a 7 year old who went all day on just one slice of bread? What do you think the answer to that question is, youreyes? But hey, I was smiling in photos, so yeah, I was "happy". But that is what was expected of me.

So you'll excuse me when I scoff at when I see people say 'oh look, they are happy'. Of course they are happy. If you recognised their plight, then it might force you to have to do something about it. So everyone says they are happy. Then it becomes a case of 'move along everyone, nothing to see here, they are happy as they are'.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

TRUE.

I have a question that I am working on a Major Project....What is the meaning of "In the pursuit of Happiness".

So how can I make my project support a country or the planet to make it Happy? Let me work on the project....Please explain....the result, I will do manage the cause. Thank you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

This isn't really the thread for it.. But how do you define happiness?

How should it be defined? And what happens when you determine someone is happy? India's people are supposedly some of the happiest in the world. Does that mean we continue to ignore the poverty and pain that is life in India for millions of people because hey, they are "happy"! What is the impetus of changing anything, or pushing the status quo if they are happy?

I found this article today, which might shed some light in the prevailing belief and especially in the way in which the different classes view "happiness", especially the happiness of the working class, in a comparison with Singapore.

Indian workers are the happiest employees in Asia, according to the Randstad's World of Work Report, a survey conducted by the Dutch-based recruiting firm Randstad Group, while Singaporeans -- residents of one of the wealthiest states in the world -- are the unhappiest.

Randstad’s study determined that despite its high income and advanced society, Singapore is facing rising social discontent due to climbing consumer prices and competition from an influx of foreign workers. Moreover, its professional workers feel burdened by a hostile, or “unsuitable,” corporate culture, difficult supervisors and increasing demands from their companies. Almost two-thirds (64 percent) of Singaporean workers plan to quit their jobs over the next 12 months, while another 23 percent said they felt unmotivated.

In India, however, 70 percent of workers said they felt “challenged, motivated and mentored” in their jobs, the survey noted. India’s high ranking elicited reactions ranging from disbelief to pride from readers of the Times of India newspaper. “Amit Choudhary” sarcastically pointed out that Indian workers are probably “happy” because they don’t have to do too much on the job. “No surprise, with archaic labour laws, the [workers] can avoid work, strike or do anything they want & get away with it,” Amit wrote. “Most accidents happen in industries due to workers' fault, but it's the management which is held guilty.”

The person who was happy with the result? The politician. Those who scoffed at it? The elite or the rich, who felt they shared more of the burden because their employees were too lazy or somehow incompetent.

Is the pursuit of happiness making more money? Being able to buy better things? Moving up that ladder? Doing so results in being labeled materialistic. But when you are dirt poor, you want those better things, so you strive to try to get it. It's a vicious circle. It is filled with so many stereotypes that what the individual wants for themselves or their families fall to the wayside. We are supposed to be happy and content, so we are happy. Just mind one's place on the social ladder.

I don't know what "in the pursuit of happiness" is. I can say what it is for myself. But I can only speak for myself. Each person has their own path to walk as they pursue their happiness. I just wish people would stop declaring that I am happy without actually asking me what happiness means to me though.

8. kmguru Staff Member

Thank you. Then I decided that I will use my views and go with it. Definitely need the basics like Maslow's hierarchy of needs. That means, for a growing population, all the items for survival and slowly push for growth. Hopefully that would work in the USA too.

I do have two projects that would benefit Europe, India and USA as the key instigator.. So, over all they should work for everyone. Then I can expand to the whole of Earth....It would be something similar to what China has but adjusted so as to cover everyone but reduce any unpleasant issues like air quality, inequality and exclusivity...

We shall see how that goes...it is better than what is happening on the present planet....again thank you....

9. NittanyJ Registered Member

Indian civilization is one of the oldest and still surviving.

youreyes likes this.
  10. geek Registered Member

"Max Muller an extremely important German-born Sanskritist who spent most of his career at Oxford". By yazata.

Yazata , What facts make you think Max muller is extremely important

11. kmguru Staff Member

So is China too. And they used an Indian to do the Economy that the Indians did not, due to Classmate Pride...that is what happens....

12. Yazata Valued Senior Member

13. geek Registered Member

India was destined to be intriguin, right from start. Through platetectonics : India is a chunk broke off Africa, swam the oceans and rammed the Asian subcontinent some 50 - 75000 ? years back, the reason no other place in asia has a species variety, both flora, fauna and animals, thts stacked up in India. (modern day Madascar and India swam along together).

The torque and fury of mother earth, gave rise to the highest peak on earth's surface, The Mt.Everest, 8848meters, on The Himalayas ( The abode of Snow). Over the Milleniums the Himalayas played an important role shapin her climate, Land, rivers . And in her lap mankind, civilisation and culture flourished.

14. geek Registered Member

“If I were to look over the whole world to find out the country most richly endowed with all the wealth, power, and beauty that nature can bestow – in some parts a very paradise on earth – I should point to India. If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most full developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions of some of them which well deserve the attention even of those who have studied Plato and Kant – I should point to India. And if I were to ask myself from what literature we, here in Europe, we who have been nurtured almost exclusively on the thoughts of Greeks and Romans, and of one Semitic race, the Jewish, may draw that corrective which is most wanted in order to make our inner life more perfect, more comprehensive, more universal, in fact more truly human, a life, not for this life only, but a transfigured and eternal life – again I should point to India.”
    —Prof. Friedrich Maximilian Mueller, What can India teach us. Lecture at University of Cambridge, 1883.

15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I voted yes.
    I would also vote yes for China.

Professor Mueller is a wise man I think.
    Or should that be was?

16. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Müller's English translation of Kant's most famous tome is getting a fresh dusting-off / contemporary revision these days. Even though Norman Kemp Smith's version of Critique of Pure Reason eventually replaced Müller's in popularity, there's the possibility of Smith having borrowed considerably from the very predecessor work he disparaged:

"Norman Kemp Smith professed little esteem for Muller's work. Yet the deeper motivation for him to deride Muller may have been to obscure the degree to which Muller's work is present in his own. He took over large parts of Muller's terminological and syntactical skeleton and rebuilt the text around it with the trained ear of a native English speaker, very often re-arranging Muller's phrases without changing anything substantial in them. One could suspect that he worked more from Muller than from Kant, because occasionally he commits the same unlikely errors as Muller. For instance, he mistakenly adds an 'etc.' at the end of the bracket that reads `(imagination, wit)' on page Bviii. The only other edition, German, English or otherwise, to make this mistake is Muller's. Muller inadvertently placed the 'etc.' in two brackets that each list two words and are separated by only two lines. Only the bracket idealism, scepticism, etc.)' is correct, however, while the bracket `(imagination, wit, etc.)' above it should have no 'etc.' It is not objectionable, of course, to improve the work of a predecessor. With some more modesty and generosity, however, Kemp Smith might well have called his translation a substantially revised and terminologically improved Muller." http://www.wordtrade.com/philosophy/german/kantiancritiques.htm

Why resurrect Müller's semi-forgotten accomplishment? Apparently yet another opportunity for newer scholarship to try to finally get it right, since a couple of recent attempts didn't wholly satisfy some experts, either:

"Since Kemp Smith, there have been two more translations, one by Werner Pluhar (1996), another by Paul Guyer and Allen Wood (1998). This is not the place to praise their merits or to condemn their shortcomings. Let it be noted that the Guyer/Wood translation is not the definitive translation and edition of Kant's Critique that it was marketed as, if only because it is littered with a sinister number of errors, among many others the confusion of `appearance' with 'intuition' on at least thirty occasions."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  17. geek Registered Member

C C says Muller made a mistake , n these guys lead the light : Kant ,Norman Kemp smith, Werner pluharm ,paul guyner and allen wood...

C C, is a valued senior senior member......Lets see, if his words have a meaning........... Contribute.........

18. jabbaska Registered Member

19. JackStars Registered Member

hmm aren't we all individually a light in the world?

20. hibatahir Registered Member

because of dewali

21. Intersect Registered Member

Just hubris and floral language for visiting "India" to see the "Hindu" culture

Btw the word "Hindu" and "India" are not even a "Indian" invention it was developed by a Macedonian and also Persians and Afghanistans.

Alexander the great renamed the River "Sindhu" as "Indu" and loosing the S made ideally for Greeks to speak more easily it became "Indus"

Alexander invaded India and the Macedonian forces then called the land east of the "Indus" as "India" the original vedic name for this area was "Bharath Varsha"

When the Persians and Afghanistans arrive they then changed it from "Sindhu River" to "Hindu River" to name northwestern provinces of India where the Sindhu River is, the name became popular in the last 1300 years and now remains "Hindu" but this isnt vedic.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Due to rising population, the number of slum dwellers rising in Indian cities. Slums area always lack by some basic necessities of Life clean water, electricity and sanitation. The inhabitants are mostly rickshaw puller, seasonal small vendors, house maid servants with a family income ranging from a meager sum to a less than meager sum.

After a hard and low-earning working day, most of the men spend their daily earnings on homemade illicit liquor. Status of woman’s in slum is not respectful, they used to do prostitution to full fill their basic needs to survive. The slum population is constantly increasing: it has doubled in the past two decades. The current population living in slums in the country is more than the population of Britain.
    List Of Top Indian Cities Living In Slums:

http://www.walkthroughindia.com/lifestyle/major-slum-areas-in-top-indian-cities/

23. geek Registered Member

Africa, India, Australia and Andaman Islands : when was the last time in history , they where one and civilized human race could just live, talk and walk across all four places. And which humans, sharing a common blood line did that and still inhibit in all four places, beating mother earth for a million years ?

Last edited: May 29, 2015