Is IQ a good measure of intelligence?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Phill, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Is IQ a good measure of intelligence?

1. Yes

40.0%
  2. No

60.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phill Banned Banned

I guess you'd have to define the word for me to answer, and furthermore I guess it would be irrelevant even then. But since the word seems to mean so much to the "scientists" on this forum, define it and I might tell you if I am one, according to your defintion.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

rac·ist
    noun.
    1. a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    And
    prej·u·dice
    noun
    1. preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.
    OK
    One can be a racist without being prejudiced.
    One can be prejudiced without being a racist.

Superior race, for average score on Iq tests = whatever race you ascribe to the Chinese.
    Meanwhile: The IQ tests do not test for practical intelligence(how things work and how to fix them), curiosity, nor creativity.

I submit that curiosity keeps us growing intellectually.
    And, creativity leads to growth of the knowledge base.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

So, you're not big enough to answer?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Phill Banned Banned

I think you should open a new thread on the subject. This thread is about the validity of IQ. Please feel free to open a new thread "is poster X a racist", on "sciforums". Perhaps you also open a thread on yourself, where you explain whether you think races are the same. Either way, please stop derailing my thread with your ad hominem garbage. Thanks.

8. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

They're not ad hominem.

What you post is just total garbage in itself; perfectly fitting.

:EDIT:

BTW, no one addressed my question about quantum tunneling. It would suggest quantum mechanics has way more to do with intelligence than, you know, the superficial garbage being posted.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

And:
    What makes you an expert on garbage?
    Dumpster diving?

10. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Uh, is that an attempt at a haughty remark?

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Just asking.

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In post 8 you will find the observation that I, at least, cannot find such things as you claim can be found easily, and the assertion that essentially no such examples exist.

I have run across one such example in my readings - teaching. IQ appears to predict greater and lesser success within the teaching profession. If one presumes that is a field in which success is based on intellectual ability, that would be an example of the kind you claim.

But that's it.

So you have made an unsupported claim, and it appears to be false. Do you have any evidence for it?

13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Well, here's the kicker then. You jump right in to this posters garbage, when I do very little because I've already dismissed it as garbage.

Just sayin'

14. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Communist dogma?

15. Phill Banned Banned

You are arguing from ignorance again. "I have no evidence" doesn't translate to "my opponent is wrong", it translates to nothing. It's so well known in the field that IQ is the best predictor of cognitive tasks that I feel little need to go through the sources to back it up. The fact that it predicts academic achievement to about 0.8 is enough in itself.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You claimed that examples of professions or fields of endeavor in which IQ predicts achievement are easily found. I can't find any, except teaching - which is an example I happened to remember as an exception from my reading about IQ and its failures to predict achievement, years ago. So I have evidence that your claim is wrong, and you have provided no evidence that it is right.
    You can't even think of a significant example or two?
    The best predictor of grade point average in college is grade point average in high school - any college, any high school. The best predictor of graduate school achievement is undergraduate class rank - any grad school, any college (high rank in a second rate school outperforms lower rank in a top flight school).

What do you mean by "academic achievement"?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    sideshowbob likes this.
  17. sculptor Valued Senior Member

back to:
    How do you account for the Flynn effect?

18. Phill Banned Banned

Great question! I'll get back to you after some research.

19. Phill Banned Banned

That really is a good question. I do know that it seems to have stopped in most industrialised countries.

20. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

It is not meaningless to point out that debating things like IQ is a recent tactic taken up by racists in order to promote racism. This is important information about the context of this debate and the possible sources of information about the debate.

Even you, for example, have promoted sources that are obviously from racists. I'm not saying that you are racist, even though you seem to get defensive every time I talk about them.

21. Phill Banned Banned

I just get annoyed with people wasting electrons typing "racist" as if it's some kind of meaningful point.

22. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

So, you could answer then?

Or, maybe comment on quantum tunneling and chromosomes.

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You claim something is explained genetically at the .8 level, but you don't know what.

Do you know what the real world "cognitive tasks" are, in which you claimed success or failure was predicted by IQ? You have not provided examples.

btw:
    Not necessarily. It would be whatever race you ascribe to all and only the Chinese, or further analysis required.

Phill has posted a graph of human genetic relationships that he claims is relevant, which shows two "major races" of Chinese, loosely describable as "Han" and "Mongol", one of which includes the Malaysians etc, the other of which includes various Arctic and western Asian folks. So it's not certain what race he would ascribe to the Chinese, or what its average IQ score would be.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.