Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Greatest I am, May 31, 2013.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

People who believe in the barbaric human blood sacrifice of the Triune Jesus/God must believe that the greatest force ever to exist decided that humans, lowly creations whom we are told are infinitely inferior to God, are somehow more important than God’s own life and that he would give it up for believers.

That is like a slave master dying in place of his slave. A rather silly notion to me.

Jesus preached that we should develop a humble character with little self-pride.

How is placing your own life above Triune Jesus/God’s showing a humble character as you think that he would die for you? That is taking self-pride to the maximum.

I think that those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a so called son just to prove it's benevolence.

Yet Christians who think they are moral will believe that God would do such a despicable thing as having his son killed even as scriptures say that God prefers repentance to sacrifice and does not believe in asking or accepting a ransom.

Is thinking that to believe that God would die for you the epitome of an inflated ego?

If not, what could possibly inflate an ego more than that?

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

No i don't think so.

People in our world have two options. They can go towards the light or towards the dark, what ever two those things actually mean.

So saying that jesus would give up his life for others, i cannot see why not. We have plenty of examples of people dying for a cause, so why not some god. You have no way of knowing either way, but i can tell you there is a dark side and a light side. If a god followed the road to light, and he gave up his life for all of mankinds sins. I see no problems what so ever, as many a person has given up there life for less reasons.

I would not be so presumptuous to think you can speak for others, and if they think its a cause worth there lifes, many a person does give up there life for others.

Also do not assume the road to light or the road to darkness i describe above, is what you presume it to be.

Human religions are all based on sex and sacrificing. When you goto christian mass you symbolically take part in a human sacrifice, by eating the body of christ and drinking the wine which is supposed to symbolise his blood. In an era of pagan religions, where human sacrifice would of been taking part all over this world, i would think him sacrificing himself back then would not be the same as we see it today.

All our religions are based on sacrificing and sex. No matter what you like to believe, thats the two main reasons for it. Any religion is full of it.

So saying that a god would not do this and that in a sort of thing to show people something, i doubt we can understand.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Yes.

Thinking that you are God, obviously.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I am sure plenty of people throughout time thought they where gods. Plenty today too, and alot in high positions of power and on tv or hollywood.

Its probably more common then you think.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Was anyone really killed? For God to experience death seems to me a trivial thing for him to do. He and Jesus all ended up in paradise, so what's the big deal?

9. Rav Valued Senior Member

Was it egotistical of Garry to think that his father would die for him?