Is it moral for God to punish us?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

You changed the scenario in order to make me look bad and then proceed to chastise me based on your new lies.

Quite dishonest of you, --- and you are questioning my morals.

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Which God?

The Christian God is shown in the King David story to torture his baby for 6 days before finally killing it.

How do you see that as non-violent?

Regards
    DL

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Sure but you have added to the time line of that pool and all it's conditions changed forever.

You cannot say that you did not effect every atom nor can you say God did not effect every human when he chose to have Jesus murdered. That choice had to also have God insure that a murderer was there to make the sacrifice happen.

Regards
    DL

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I will concede that he changed human history with the advent of Christ (stone in a pool of water), and being a deity he probably knew what the outcome would be. I'm not so certain we can make him responsible, however, for the actions of those who crucified Christ. Such things just might be predestined without intervention.

8. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Predestination is always intervention.

It says move whatever is in that time slot and insert what is predestined.

It also says that the conditions to make the predestined event happen also have to be there.

If you are predestined to be here, then your parents would also have to be predestined to get it on on a particular time and place or you would not have been born.

Regards
    DL

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Not certain I agree with that premise. If I kept a bird in a cage, then I have control over much of its life. If I open the cage and let it fly away, I lose that control. That's how I view free will. Now, I might put some seed out on the porch and encourage it to return, but there's no guarantee it will return. You might suggest that freedom is predestined and therefore intervention of a kind.

10. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Freedom is something we have or take and it is not something that is given unless it has forcibly been denied someone. As with your bird scenario.

To predestine anything is to forcibly take that freedom from someone as well as to take the freedoms of all other acors in the play. So to speak.

You cannot have some actor throwing lines about that no one responds to. In a free world, we are all in this together, alone. In a predestined world, we all have to play to the piper and thus are not free or alone.

Regards
    DL

11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

It's the lovers confliction to be or to not to be.

12. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Eh. Ok.

Regards
    DL