Is it possible to make the earth go farther from sun and so make the planet cooler?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by pluto2, Mar 24, 2008.

1. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

Is it possible to make the earth go farther from sun and so make the planet cooler?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you take away enough of its mass then it would be lighter and wouldn't be pulled as close to the sun as it is now. It would drift away from the sun as time goes by but that would take many thousands of years.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

But how can we take away enough of its mass?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Even if it were possible, and it's not, it would be a horrible idea. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of with all this global warming hype, that some crack team of politicians and scientists will come up with an "ingenious" way to alter nature and end up screwing everything up even worse.

Wouldn't that be a sad footnote in human history. People panicked, pulled off some daring scheme to avert the disaster they were so sure was coming, and ended up destroying their planet because they didn't fully understand the problem before acting.

8. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

"Is it possible to make the earth go farther from sun and so make the planet cooler? "

The answer is no.

9. Myles Registered Senior Member

Send it to Mars in rockets !

10. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

But why isn't it possible?

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Because of the same reason why Pluto isn't a planet.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That can be done by sending materials to other planets or moons to inhabit them. It will take allot of material from Earth to develop a colony on the moon and if it gets large enough that would reduce Earths mass but increase the moons mass. Allot of mass has to be removed from the Earth to make this at all possible.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is possible, just as the existence of God is theoretically possible, but practically probably not.

14. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

But why isn't it possible?

15. Myles Registered Senior Member

You could start by removing mass from the Vatican.

16. draqon Banned Banned

everything is possible. The question is, is this movement of Earth further from the Sun a justified act. Now how could you move it? Lets think in perspective of Earth first...some ideas come to mind such as using another mass to create a gravity assist to move it further...perhaps creating a very dense object and mass full and using it to move the Earth were we need it to be through slow process. Another concept is to not have the Earth move but rather have the Sun decrease its radius by what means I have no idea...but a possible scenario would be to propel have the helium formation reaction changed somehow... We could also have Earth be as a spaceship by itself, having a propulsion drive as large as Earth. All of these ideas are def. out of our technological reach, but if you can dream it you can do it. Right? Right.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Moving the earth would require a tremendous amount of energy. There's no way we could get our hands on that much energy. We could burn all of our fossil fuels in one big flash and I still don't think we'd have enough to move a planet more than a few meters out of its orbit in a thousand years. I'll let you check me and do the math. It will be an interesting exercise for you and you'll learn a little more about this subject.

Not to mention all that energy conversion would make the earth even hotter and defeat your purpose.

18. Myles Registered Senior Member

Archimedes said: " Give me a lever long enough..."

19. draqon Banned Banned

actually it wouldnt work...the tensile strength of this lever...even if its carbon nanotubes would cause it to snap...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Myles Registered Senior Member

Ah, but the lever would be in compression

21. draqon Banned Banned

so it will collapse under its own weight...

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

How heavy would the lever have to be to collapse under its own weight ?

23. draqon Banned Banned

it depends on the tensile strength and the force exerted on it.