Is it reasonable to say you are what the universe is doing right now?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bowser, Jan 30, 2019.

?

Well?

1. I'm independently owned.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. My investments don't allow outside intrest.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The universe is a drag, man.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I lost a finger to my circular saw.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I drink Coke.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

when a system of morality has been replaced by monetary greed in the stead of religious fundamentalism...
    this is one of the big issues with the usa culture.

it creates a false narrative around a false monetary value of life which is used to validate the selling off of life as a low value to those who are low income or poor.
    it is economic genocide which the majority of the global financial system is propped up on.

boom & bust, supply & demand economics used as a replacement for shared moral values
    the perceptual playing field is not even, even though people like to pretend it is.
    we all need to have some pretense and escapism in life. too much and you lose productivity, too little and you loose productivity ...

we know what the Goldilocks zone is, but what is a Goldilocks economy ?

evangelical mega churches not paying tax following the capitalist business model of cannibalizing the entire environment...

greed is good right...
    lol

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Maybe.

If you were only concerned with adding up the costs of purchasing the "raw materials" to construct a human body, then the total cost would be quite a low - certainly less than $100. Which suggests that the "value" of a human being is not tied up in the raw material costs, but in something else.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Life itself, of course.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think it depends on your expectations.

Demand created the economy. If not for a need, there would be no market. If I could invent a substitute for Plastics, biodegradable, I would, and I would be happy to make a fortune doing it.
    I think the future is in cleaning up the mess from the past.[/Quote][/QUOTE]

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I wouldn't say that. I'd say the value is in the way the raw materials are organised.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I 'd say it's life. Most people fear the prospect of nonexistence. You can't put a price tag on life, though hospitals do. They are selling hope, are they not?

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

But we value human life differently to other types of life. There are a lot of things dying all around us all the time, but most of them time we don't even notice that.

I suppose they must. I don't really understand why they fear it, myself, especially as it's unavoidable.

(P.S. On second thoughts, I think I do understand it a bit. Just not so much the part about being afraid for yourself. I can understand fearing the non-existence of certain other people, and I can also understand fearing how one's own non-existence is likely to impact certain other people).

And insurers. And courts.

That's one way to look at it, I suppose.

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Because death is natural. Few go willingly.

You are right. I hope you And I feel the same when our time comes. Perhaps it would be easier if one accepts death. They say die before you die, and much of life's anxiety will end. What are your thoughts?

While at the same time sanctioning abortion?

Don't get me wrong, they do succeed in preserving life do a large extent. It's a noble cause.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If life is suffering, then abortion is a blessing.

13. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

petroleum ?

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Are natural polymer s bd?

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

typo ?
    "are natural polymers bad" ?

no. not this subject
    a different subject
    the subject i asked the question on

a replacement for petroleum ?

the ability to replace oil
    if you could provide a replacement for oil and make yourself very rich etc etc etc....

is your comment and position still valid when the market reality is put into the equation ?
    i suggest no.
    so your using a loaded sub context to divert the core aspect of the definition of terms to change the subject(of my question) entirely.

but thats ok.
    i know the debate around power structures of global supply and demand of economic controls is somewhat touchy.
    like running into a mosque or synagogue yelling you want to eat pork.
    it is largely out of place and ill conceived unless pre-defined with specific narrative and associated pre-involvement.

replacing plastic is very trendy
    very acceptable and trendy in specifically small managed points where businesses can cut costs while not having to produce it resulting in increased profit at no extra cost and a better marketing image that makes them look better when they are making more money and not really doing anything.

now back to your comment about the market demand which i have heard thrown around like a cult screaming infidels at authority.
    it doesn't really mean anything except for quasi fringe antidisestablishmentarianism as a guise to hyper alt-right liberalism.

if people wanted to save the planet they would stop littering and demand recycling plants be built by the government.
    equally business that are only interested in 2 things
    profit
    public image

comparatively your comment is a throw-away-dog-whistle
    which i would not expect so readily from you.
    hence me taking the time to point it out and seek clarification.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Bowser:

I think there's a lot to be said for trying not to spend too much time worrying about either the past or the future. The past cannot be changed, and we can't control the future now. All the control we have happens right here, right now, in the present moment.

This is not to say that we should never think about or plan for possible futures. But lots of people spend too much time worrying about future events that might never actually occur, or fretting over things that happened in the past. When they do that, they risk missing stuff that's happening in the present moment.

Personally, I have a tendency to be a bit of a worrier, but I'm trying to work on doing less of that.

There are (at least) two lives involved in any abortion: those of the mother and of the foetus. As a general rule, I don't think women take abortion lightly. I also think that the mother is often in the best position to make decisions about her own life, her own body and her own offspring. Her right to choose should not be abrogated.

In the abortion "debate", being anti-abortion doesn't mean you have also to be anti-choice.

On the wider question of the "value" of life: as I said previously, life dies around us all the time. We don't value all life the same. I find it hard to understand why anyone would argue that a days-old bundle of cells is somehow vitally important to preserve, even at the expense of the mother's wishes or health.

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

something to live by(to term a vernacularilly exsanguinated turn of phrase)

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They grew.

19. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

spooky action at a distance is still spooky action

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

And it makes no difference with respect to life.

21. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

would it not have a statistical correlation to the magic soup ?