Is it safe to store drinking water in Stainless Steel Pot?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by plakhapate, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plakhapate Banned Banned

Is it safe to store drinking water in Stainless Steel Pot?

Since Stainless Steel contain Manganese and if drinking water stored in SS pot reacts with water to form Manganese Hydrauxide then these ions are harmful to the body.
    In that case Is it safe to store drinking water in Stainless Steel Pot?

May be everyday we will have to change the drinking water.

Pls comment.

P.J.LAKHAPATE
    plakhapate@rediffmail.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

AND HERE IS YOUR ANSWER- In little quantities its safe. Magnessium alkalines also cause water hardness, many parts of New York has water hardness but no one really ever gets sick over it. A little base is also needed for the body to negate its acidity. Hope this clears a few things. HAVE A NICE DAY, AND DON'T FORGET TO STAY HAPPY. MESSAGE BY FEDERAL MINISTRY OF HAPPINESS.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

It's not a good idea to add manganese to the diet. I would worry that the stuff would reduce mental acuity just a little when a person needs all that he can get. I think that Mr. Lakhapate's experiment has uncovered something that a lot of us didn't think of, that very simple copper supplementation may help the brain a lot.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

I say keep it it in there but not for too long though.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We can't answer that question without numbers. That would not be science, but just guessing. How much Mn leeches out of a pot into the water per hour? How much Mn in that form does it take to do us harm?

There are immeasurably small quantities of everything in everything. Fortunately we're able to tolerate immeasurably small quantities. The question is: at what level is the threshold?

The whole point of stainless steel is that it's not very reactive, so how many of its Mn atoms is it losing?

Devil, if you really meant to say magnesium (Mg), that's a different element. If you just misspelled manganese (Mn), then you probably don't want to apply for a job in the food supplement industry.

9. plakhapate Banned Banned

Now we are in NANOTECHNOLOGY field.

Does anybody got any information about the leaching of Mn in water per hour per m2 ?

Further what is the effect of Mn ions (in ppb) on human brain?

If we have the answers it will be useful to everybody.

P.J.LAKHAPATE
    plakhapate@rediffmail.com

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

No, definitely not! (Take it out of the pot before drinking)

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sailing ships often have SS tanks for fresh water. It's about as safe as you can get. SS does leach certain chemical impurities when new, even rust, but I suspect the risk is diminished as it ages.

12. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

It depends how it's been made, doesn't it? Some stainless steel uses nickel instead of manganese, but it's a bit more expensive to do it that way. Maybe if something is explicitly designed to hold drinking water it will be made using nickel?

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Perhaps. I would stay away from the cheap stuff. I have a friend who's a metallurgist, I could ask him any question you have.

14. Facial Valued Senior Member

Manganese presents no danger to stored water - the main element of concern would be chromium, but even that will have to take a while to leach out.

Like everyone else, I don't know the exact numbers.

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I looked it up a while ago and bacteria in water tend to make the manganese come out of the metal faster. This is the action of organic acids. Yes, manganese is a metal that is dangerous and damaging to the nervous system. Whatever theory of mad cow disease you subscribe to, the prions contain manganese where they should contain copper and experimenters have shown that copper supplementation reverses the effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.