Is it very cold there?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

Record low is -52 Celsius.
    How cold is your place now?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

•The average warmest month is August.
    •The highest recorded temperature was 38°C in 1886.
    •On average, the coolest month is January.
    •The lowest recorded temperature was 5°C in 1981.

•August is the average warmest month.
    •The highest recorded temperature was 100°F in 1886.
    •January is the average coolest month.
    •The lowest recorded temperature was 41°F in 1981.

Key West , Florida

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

sweet jesus dude, where you live? siberia?
    right neigh 41 F around these parts.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Washington, DC. This winter has been unusually mild. We've only had a light dusting of snow a few times and it always melted by morning. Usually we get a couple of serious snowfalls that can bring the city to a halt. Not because it's as deep as, say, Chicago, but because it doesn't snow often enough here for the municipal governments to invest an enormous amount of money in equipment that will only be used once or twice a year.

Since this winter began, the daily high temperatures have ranged from 35F/2C to 50F/10C, and the lows have ranged from 25F/-4C to 37F/3C. Usually by now we've had some lows down to 18F/-8C.

But this could change. The first year I lived here we had no snow at all during winter. But we had deep snow the week of Thanksgiving (late November, still autumn), and then again in early April (spring).

The summer days here usually go up to 90F/32C with occasional hot days up around 100F/39C, and nights in the 50s and 60s (15-20C).

Back home in the redwood forest in northwestern California, the weather is always very mild. This time of year my wife is getting 48F/9C in the daytime and 39F/4C at night. A typical summer day is 70F/21C with a few hot ones up around 78F/25C, and at night it's in the high 50s/14C.

We're a few miles inland. People who live in the population centers (Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville) right on the ocean get even milder weather than that, both summer and winter. If we drive 20mi/30km east, the land rises fast and they get deep snow up there. We like to take our dogs up there a few times. Lhasa Apsos were developed in the Himalayas so they love clambering around in the snow.

When it snows here in Washington I always take my dogs out in it and they have a great time. Looks like that might not happen this year.

------

Saint lives in Malaysia. I don't think he's talking about the weather at home.

8. Chipz Banned Banned

I'm out here in the best city in the United States

Portland OR

So far it's only rained a couple time this month and sun has been shining pretty regularly (a bit unseasonal). Lows around 40, highs around 56. It's perfect.

It only snowed once this year downtown. Typically, Portland stays relatively warm in the winter due to the persistent cloud cover.

9. Saint Valued Senior Member

Edinburgh is very cold.

10. Annal606 Guest

That is a great site! I saw the information is very usefule!

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So you're not in Malaysia anymore?

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I think it gets down to -60F occasionally in the northern Great Plains: the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Saskatchewan.
    And where is that? These numbers don't mean much without coordinates. It was 41F here in Washington DC on Saturday. Now if you're talking about Montreal or San Diego, that would be a remarkably warm or cold day.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes!
    For the past two weeks it has been below -20 Celsius at night and between -4 Celsius and -13 Celsius during the day.
    The coldest so far, these past two weeks, was -22.9 Celsius. And guess what, almost every day the coldest spot in the country has been right where I live.
    This might not impress some people here, that are from the colder regions of our planet, but it's pretty damn cold by our standards (the Netherlands).
    Not that I'm complaining, by the way. I kind of like this weather.
    On the other hand, the month or so preceding this cold weather was exceptionally (read: record-breaking) warm.
    It's been a weird winter so far. I'm actually hoping we'll have some more snow. We've had only one day of snow so far; about 20 cm of it (which is actually not too shabby for where I live).

Edit: Fraggle, should I put the period inside or outside the parenthesis?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  14. leopold Valued Senior Member

somehow the word "record" escaped my attention.
    somewhere southwest of maine.

15. Emil Valued Senior Member

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Outside, you did it right. The capital letter that begins the sentence and the punctuation mark that ends it should not be separated.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm in hell, it's quite warm here. You should join us!

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

It's been a very mild winter here in Dallas. We've only had a couple of nights that got below freezing, and we haven't had any frozen precipitation. Temperatures between 40-70F. (5-21c)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  19. Saint Valued Senior Member

I am in Malaysia, but I'd visited Edinburgh.

We are used to tell temperature in Celsius but not in Fahrenheit, it is very difficult for me to imagine temperature in F.

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

Freezing point of water is 0 oC, boiling point is 100 oC.
    So, Celsius is a better unit than others.

21. Chipz Banned Banned

Haha, yeah let's model ourselves after Malaysia.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
  22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Pretty much the entire world uses Celsius. In fact, it's just you guys and Belize that use Fahrenheit.

23. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

Fahrenheit on a science forum. how quaint.

;-)