Is midnight today or tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by dsdsds, Mar 11, 2009.

1. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Your O isn't of much value here. I'm waiting for an E(xplanation).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

But no one said zero movement - except you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

In post 209,
    IMO. movement represents a value. zero value = zero movement

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You're playing fast and loose with terms there.

A duration value approaching zero results in a calculated velocity value approaching instant.
    Just because 0 as a limit that can't be practically reached does not mean we cannot determine a value there. (By comparison: just because c can't be practically reached doesn't we can't make calculations with it.)

And none of this means that things stop moving.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

OK, what you are saying then is that in this context zero means absolute continuity?
    I believe that time is emergent and the only continuity would exist in Pilot Wave model. But does time have absolute continuity if the fabric of spacetime itself unfolds in a discrete fractal manner, such as proposed by CDT? It is a proposed model for Quantum Gravity. So what do we do with the word quantum which functions in discrete packets. So if spacetime itself unfolds by quantum, can time be absolutely continuous?

9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

*shrug* Therefore zero is a value.

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

^^^
    Clocks & the way humans set them up do not decide what time it is. They only measure time. People could decide 11:58 is the 1st second of the new day & that would not mean it makes any damn sense.

<>

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

^^^
    Points are abstract.

<>

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

To be exact, it would indicate the beginning of the first second of the new day.

That's why I like military time. 24.00 hrs closes the 24 hour cycle.

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

http://militarytimechart.com/

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

^^^
    I believe we cannot yet know what came before the Big Bang, how many Big Bangs there were/will be, whether there is a multiverse the Big Bang(s) emerged from & many other such. I believe that until we know all these things, we cannot know there was no time or space before our Big Bang. I believe that no thing can exist without space & no thing can happen without time. Without time & space, the Big Bang could not have happened.

Stephen Hawking said that we cannot know what happened before the Big Bang so we should just say that nothing happened before the Big Bang.

<>

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Time is abstract.

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

^^^
    Repeating myself, measuring 24 of anything must finalize with the number 24. This is so frigging simple & obvious. And logical. A foot is 12 inches & must end at the 12 inch mark. 200 cases of bananas starts with 1 case & ends with the 200th case. You cannot count 24 beers without ending with the number 24. Regardless of whether you start with the 1st beer or the 1st ounce of the 1st beer or the 1st trillionth of the 1st ounce. Or whether you will begin counting another 24 beers afterward.

<>

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I agree, but see it from a little different perspective. If nothing happened before the BB, then time was also absent. I prefer to call it a timeless Potential, which became expressed in Physical Reality instantaneously and was the beginning of our Space and Time.

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

But you must finish the count, before you can begin the next count. You cannot say that the last banana in one batch is also the first banana of the next batch.
    IMO, that is even simpler logic.

19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

^^^
    You cannot know that.

I did not cite Hawking to support me or to support him but to show how stupid this can get.

<>

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

^^^
    That is what I said.

<>

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Therefore 24:00 hrs = 00:00 hrs. This does away with the problem of AM and PM altogether.

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Actually it is Bohmian.

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I agree, we don't know.
    But we are faced with 2 choices. And only one of them can be correct. Finite or Infinite?.
    OK, I understand, And personally I don't think the fundamentals will turn out to be very exotic. Doesn't sound logical to me.