Is Physics reducible to Mechanics?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Asexperia, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

Optics, Acoustic, Electricity, Magnetism, Electronics, Quantum, Thermodynamics, Astronomy, Relativity, etc.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My first guess would be, "Yes."

Asexperia likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

I'd say "no", because physics is more fundamental, as in: mechanics is a part of physics. A lot of things in physics are captured by mechanics, sure, but not everything. (Quantum) fields would be an example. Take this note on Wikipedia:
    'Note that there is also the "theory of fields" which constitutes a separate discipline in physics, formally treated as distinct from mechanics, whether classical fields or quantum fields.'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanics#Sub_-_disciplines

(It does go on to say: "But in actual practice, subjects belonging to mechanics and fields are closely interwoven." but that only puts mechanics and physics at an equal level. It certainly does not make physics reducible to mechanics; rather, it would be the other way around.)

Please enlighten me how (for example) magnetism could be explained purely in terms of mechanics. And what do you mean by "quantum" (full stop)?

Asexperia and sideshowbob like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I'd say it depends what you mean by "mechanics". If that is taken to include quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics and relativistic mechanics, then maybe the answer is yes.

And then be careful what you infer from that. Quantum mechanics, for instance, is specifically not deterministic.

Asexperia likes this.
  8. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

Can we refer to the Mechanics of waves?
    Optics, Acoustics

Mechanics of electron and particles?
    Electricity, Electronics, Magnetism, Quantum, Thermodynamics

Space Mechanics?
    Astronomy, Relativity

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes, one can.

10. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

Again, what do you mean by "Quantum"? "Quantum" isn't a theory or a field of physics. "Quantum field theory" is. "Quantum mechanics" is. "Quantum" isn't.

Asexperia likes this.
  11. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

I'm taking about Quantum mechanics, of course.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Seems that all those universal aspects, except Particles and Relativity are covered by Bohm's Pilot wave theory (Bohmian Mechanics)

This is where Bohm's Pilot Wave theory is so powerful.
    The maths are a little more complicated, but the result does away with the need for "particle/wave" duality, which has been the greatest dilemma in physics. If I understand it correctly, matter remains as matter, the "guiding wave" directs its spacetime coordinate position.
    http://www.informationphilosopher.com/solutions/scientists/heisenberg/Copenhagen_Interpretation.pdf

Bohm's theory answers to all of the Copenhagen Interpretation, plus it yields a perfectly "deterministic" universe and allows for "entanglement".

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Asexperia likes this.
  13. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

Well, in that case, of course quantum mechanics can be referred to as mechanics: it's literally in the name!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

sideshowbob and Asexperia like this.
  14. Asexperia Valued Senior Member

The way I see it.

Mechanics is the science that studies movement and the cause that produces it. There are many kinds of movement.

Movement is the change of place or position of some body.

15. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

In that case, electrostatics is a clear demonstration there is more to physics than mechanics, and thus physics is not reducible to mechanics.

sideshowbob likes this.
  16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Question: Do electrostatic charges create "fields"?
    If so is that not a form of mechanics?
    Mechanics of Fields?

17. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

Please re-read the first part of post #3 for your answer.

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I did read and understand your post.
    To my knowledge there is nothing in the universe which is stationary. Even Fields are dynamic.

I base this on the following definition;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamical_system

19. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

Irrelevant. The point is that fields are not described by mechanics, but by field theories. In fact, doubly irrelevant, because we're talking about physics (the model/description), not the universe (reality).

Write4U likes this.
  20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Optics, electricity, magnetism, aspects of quantum mechanics and thermodynamics, and some astronomical phenomena are all non-mechanical.

Asexperia likes this.