Is religion dependant upon the unknown?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by blackmonkeystatue, Apr 20, 2006.

1. blackmonkeystatue Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

A friend and I were discussing the effect, if any, intelligence has on religious beliefs. We diverged and at one point I made the comment that as long as there are things that are unknown, there will be a place for religion.

I wanted to hear what you had to say about that. As far as I know, the origins of religion were in explaining the unknown. Hypothetically, if society got to a point where it had an explanation for everything, would religion still have a place? I was thinking about how, over the years religion has, more or less, been losing ground so to speak. I.e. 1,000 years ago God created the earth in 7 days, but these days few people believe that, i.e. big bang and other theories. 1,000 years ago humanity began with Adam and Eve, these days there is evolution and other scientific evidence. Those are just examples.

So, hypothetically, if humans reached a point where there weren't any mysteries left, i.e. we could explain the origin of the universe, the development of all organisms, what happens after death, etc. and they all had scientific (for lack of a better word) basis, would there be a purpose for religion? And if we accepted that our purpose on Earth, our meaning in life, was to just live and attempt to thrive, like it is for every other creature. Assuming that ALL of our questions were answered, would religion still have a place?

Assumptions: We have answers to all of the big questions, everything can be explained and proven.

I am curious to know what you all think.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Archie Registered Senior Member

If there weren't any mysteries left...

That's a pretty big 'if'.

If in the next thousand years, 'science' determines we do not and can not determine the answers to how life began, what happens after death and the reason the universe sprang into existance; would mankind suddenly become more 'religious'?

Yes, mysteries encourage 'religion'. However, Christianity is not 'religion' in the same way other 'religions' are. Christianity is not a 'code of conduct' but a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Given time, I think religions will all fail and fade. Christianity will not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

why is christianity so much different in their claims?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Translation:
    Where the original Christianity was an ethic being taught/demonstrated by an influential and (at the time) revolutionary individual.......aka: a "code of conduct", the new Jesus is actually a supernatural deity where subscribers must strive for a mystical bond with the "son of the creator".

I guess the good thing about this line of thinking is that you don't neccesarily have to understand it to successfully model yourself in compliance with the "rules". I still don't see how this is different than any other religion.

8. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I feel that gods and religion were invented to explain the inexplicable. Our minds simply cannot accept a void, so we'll fill it up with whatever theories we concoct as a place holder. Then, as we learn the answers, we discard the place holders for the facts. All religions, Christianity included, will fade before rational thought except for those who refuse to let go of it. There will always be social anachronisms, and I predict they will be the cause of much trouble.

All the same, I hope I never live to see the end of the mysteries. Trying to answer the big questions is what propels us forward as a species.

9. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

Of course religion would have a place. Religion is not here to explain mysteries, it is here to guide our lives. Some branches of buddhism, for example, have no supernatural beliefs. No reincarnation and nirvana, ect. What does that type of religion offer? I guess what I am saying is that religion is merely glorified and practised philosophy. All these people aren't christians because they naively think that if they are good, they will be rewarded with a return to eden and immortality. THey are christians because jesus was wise and great. He says something, and it is realized that what he said is the best, or one of the best, ways to conduct our lives

10. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

And no, I am not a christian.

11. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Those religions which promise a hereafter will always have believers.

Not even an atheist is completely comfortable with his mortality. Religion is a nice security blanket. Your loved ones are not gone forever. You will not cease to exist.

While I happen to be an atheist, I recognize that believers have have an easier time coming to terms with death.

12. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

But how many of them truly beleive in this day and age. "religious" peoople like my next door neighbor fear death just as much, if not more, then me. Mabye the really religous people believe in heaven with absolute certanity, but most religious people know that science is more logical then religion, and that there is at least a chance that heaven doesn't exist. Christians are more believers in jesus then believers in spectacular miracles and angels from heaven.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Not likely, since over the next thousand years, people will have easy access to heaps of knowledge, hence become more educated. Soon, the whole concept of gods and religion will take it's rightful place amongst the myths of mankind.

That may very well be your version of Christianity, but there are thousands of sects, each with their own views. The relationship with Jesus is merely a portal to having a relationship with their god. Others will say it most certainly is a code of conduct.

You guys rarely agree with one another anyways.

Then it will be the Christians who are the last to refuse to join reality.

14. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

An unnecessary presumption.

I'm an atheist, and I no more fear death than I previously feared the possibility of never being born.

It is the manner, and timing, of my personal demise that I fret about.

(Edited again, just to flick the finger at the implied stygma associated with flaunting artifical limitations.)

(And again, for good measure.)

(And once more, because Atheists are just that.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  15. bluej_x Registered Member

What is interesting to me as that mankind, until relatively recently, have always been religious. It causes me to think that perhaps humans brains are hardwired to be religious. And dependent on how one views life, one can consider atheism as a sort of religion that requires just a much faith as any other.

I'm not sure if it was Marks that coined the phrase "religion is the opiate of the masses" but isn't it reasonable for humans to prefer the dulling effects of religion which offers a sense of purpose amd meaning over a paradigm that insists that life is no more than a meaningless valueless accident?

16. blackmonkeystatue Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Wouldn't that be more just spirituality then?

17. warden99 Registered Member

religion isnt hear to guid our lifes , its hear to controll our lifes

18. duendy Registered Senior Member

ewm religion didn't 'START' with te patriarchy---tha's your first false presumption. originally religion was earth-centred and celebratory of lifein all is deepening aspects. so for example the ...mystery of the continuum of life and death...?

does 'blessed' science' know about death? ....about consciouness....? no. no.

so religion in its essence is wonder. wonder which rationality cannot grasp. otherwise it wouldn't be wonder would it?

19. warden99 Registered Member

In your eyes , not mine.

As no one knows , why is my presumpion FALSE

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Who knows what science knows , what bothers me is what science does know and wont share, i supose you could say the same for religion

maybe if both parties opened up and shared their joint knowledgee we would all have a better understanding

20. duendy Registered Senior Member

the problem is this. because many people, incliuding many scientists, and many religionits, wont look into all about this. all the shit--unresolved shit--becomes Unconscious and plays out destructively. THIS is whats actually going on!

21. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

If we knew EVERYTHING then we would know whether there was a god or not. What I'm saying is if someone were to make up a god that would be a waste of time because no one is going to join your religion because they already know it all. They already know this god you made up and doesn't exist, if you know what I mean.

22. warden99 Registered Member

religion has been use as a tool to control the masses and nothing else , Its the same today as it was thousands of years ago .
    many peoples heads wnt take this in as they still think they are going to meat their maker , if they think that good on them.
    I just hope that a life time spent being controled by religion is at the end worth it for them

23. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Religion is one more means of passing the time while amongst the living.

I have nothing against religion. I do have something against people passing their time with religion trying to tell me I must pass my own time with religion, too.

Religion doesn't bother me. Religionists I have to actively ward off bother me, for a while.

(Edit this -- #@%&@#^@*$& -- edit timing god!)

(Edit didit. Pillory him.)

(Edit.)

(Edit.)

(Edit.)

(Edited, again, because I can: I have free will.)

(Edit: And I use it.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006