Is SciFo a science forum?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DaveC426913, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I'll drink to that.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

the problem is what one thinks is critical thought and rationality can sometimes dismiss what is going on. the universe isn't always rational, that is why.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be.

My cat is irrationally howling and running around. If I am to understand him, I guess I should put a surgical glove on my head and call myself a squid?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't think that would help but may God bless you.

DaveC426913 likes this.
  8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You're a kid now. You're a squid now. Splatoon! (sorry, couldn't resist)

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

All of these forums live in the intersection of STEM and its context of human culture. They exist as part of the adjustment of one to the other - the explaining and understanding of one to the other. Excluding either "side" destroys them.

Some difficulty arises when the science side forgets its ignorance and starts preaching. Some when the culture side forgets its ignorance and mistakes inspiration for evidence. Neither is insurmountable, given reason.

If the hallmark of the modern world is the incorporation of scientific understanding in human culture, places like this is where that happens. Maybe as a side effect, but nevertheless.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.