Is Sciforums Becoming Boring?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by ScaryMonster, Aug 14, 2010.

1. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Is it my imagination or has this forum become really boring of late. Or have I just become jaded and world-weary?
    Or is the decline of the user forum a sign of a larger social malaise, I can’t say I’ve delved too deeply into all of the postings here and of late and those that I have looked at mostly made me yawn, I’ve only been motivated to write the most superficial postings which rarely attract more then a few replies so I've got some guilt in this as well.

And rightly so since I’ve not felt motivated to put much effort into them, but I’ve noticed that I’m not the only one who’s lost their spark vis a vie Sciforums, I’ve had PM’s from other members saying that they’ve found these forums getting uptight and boring of late.
    I’m still here because there have been some fun discussions on this forum and I hope that this dull period will end soon.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

Yes.

Confession: I half-ass 100% of my posts, 100% of the time.

Why? Because, God damnt, I just care that much.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I've noticed it. I hope it's nothing permanent. I really like this site, but alot of discussions just don't catch my eye as of late. And if they do, I usually don't post because the content isn't as fascinating as the title.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Aparently you all ant been readin my posts... yep... thats the cure... jus foller me aroun an you'r esperience here will improve.!!!

8. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

"Esperience" I think it already has!

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I noticed it too, but thought it was the summer doldrum...

10. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Sadly, IMO a lot of discussion here lately is lacking in depth. It is difficult to generate a sustained, exploratory and reasoned discussion before such reduces to personal attacks or ranting. Whether this is due to immaturity, education or laziness is the question? :m:

11. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

You say that, but when sincerely asked to provide analysis and insight, you tend to respond with snarky attack rhetoric like this stuff:

So maybe spare us any lectures on high-minded reasoning until you're ready to abjure playground tactics yourself.

12. Sihopopa Rejectus Registered Member

This is my first post here, so hey to everyone! If my experience on another forum is anything to go by, the problem you are addressing might have to do with a couple of things.

1. The hierarchy (mods etc.) are possibly expressing a little too much zeal in manipulating annoying posters, who see things a little differently. Of course it is such as these, and I admit to being one - so there is your first clue, that spice things up a little from time to time.

2. The membership may be closing ranks on anything they do not recognise as 'normal'. It would be my expectation that this may be because they generally see themselves a superior and feel less inclined to entertain the ruminations of others. So this may well be indicative of a rather eternal problem of much of humanity; conceited arrogance and dismissal of others.

On both the above observations; hey relax! You have sufficient intelligence and dexterity of imagination to deal with a little from out of 'left field'.

IN any case, I have admittedly only been a member for a few minutes, so what the heck would I know??????

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have been a member since '03, and just about every year someone says this. And people keep coming back for more. Sciforums is what it's members make it, if it sucks, you have no one to blame but yourself.

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

LOL... for you'r firs post you sure hit a lot of nales directly on the head... welcom to Scifourms

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Also, everyone interesting gets banned.

16. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Right. Now according to discussion/debating protocol, if you disagree with my opinions, you should be focused solely on countering such. Instead you are giving me a lecture and attacking me via your opinion of my method. As I pointed out above. Where is the depth of discussion? :m:

17. Sihopopa Rejectus Registered Member

Well Cluelusshusbund, thank you for your warm welcome.

So far I think I'm seeing a little aggressiveness around the hallowed halls of this institution, which in my opinion will always tend to prune or at least deflect attention away from true discussion and/or investigation.

I guess a little humility might be called for, what do you think?

18. Sihopopa Rejectus Registered Member

Hey don't ask me to blame myself - I only joined this site for the very first time around an hour ago, so I can't even be blamed for coming back 'for more'.

In any case, I also thank you for your welcome, and I hope to be just a little 'interesting' during my stay here.

19. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Well, I guess that means I'm safe... FOR NOW.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Peace,
    Gremmie

20. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Here a couple of posts i ran across recently... both was made by mods an both of 'em seem like they was made by junk yard dogs tryin to run people off insted of guide people toward respectful discusson... but mayb that type of thang is Sciforums gole... to only have posters who alredy understan thangs the way mods understan thangs :shrug:

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2603587&postcount=3

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2564196&postcount=6

21. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

22. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Geez, that didn't work out well at all. I need to learn how to do the "multi-quote" thing. Have only replied to single quotes so far. A work in progress I guess. Sorry about the ignorance. I will work on this..
    Peace,
    Gremmie.:shrug:

23. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

You have a couple of days in which you can "Edit" you'r posts so you have a chanse to fix such stuff.!!!