Is the Bible the WORD of God or the WORD of Satan?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Aug 20, 2013.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

>"If you find yourself arguing over your faith more often than not, you might be missing the whole point of it."

Just FYI, you are arguing over your faith more often than not.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Question - posed by Greatest I Am in Post #29 : "Sure but were they moral people?"
    Answer - Never met them. Did not know them. Even if I had met/known them, what right would I have to Judge them.
    Follow up question : Were the people who penned the Gnostic Gospels moral?

Statement made by Greatest I am in Post #34 : "Indeed. It is for thinking goats and not blissfully ignorant sheep."
    Questions : Since it seems you are speaking of people who choose to follow religion - what right do you have to Judge/label/call them "thinking goats" or "blissfully ignorant sheep"? Does being a follower/practitioner of the "Gnostic Gospels" somehow imbue a person with that Right?

Statement made by Greatest I am in Post #34 : "Especially sexism and chauvinism. We are accused of such sometimes but such a concept cannot be Gnostic because we believe in a God within us all and with such a belief, we have to respect those of the opposite sex as they have their Goddesses within them."
    Question : Is it not logically opposite, inconsistent or at least contradictory by you seeming to say that sexism and chauvinism (both based on a distinction of sex/gender) cannot be a "Gnostic" concept - then immediately following that up with a distinction ( based on sex/gender) between Gods and Goddesses?

Just inquiring.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, in their own way, for their own time.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Ireland was more political than religious.

As to the ancient past, more like idiotic literalism and faith of Christianity as compared to the desire for real Gnosis or knowledge and not faith in nothing in the Gnostic camp.

It was all politically led and not religiously led FMPOV.

Regards
    DL

8. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

No. I have no faith or belief in nothing.

I have Gnosis or knowledge.

Faith without facts is for fools.

Regards
    DL

9. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Are you so offended that Gnostics recognize males as God's and females as Goddesses?

Now if you want to make God a unisex word then I am there for that.

As to who give me the right to judge, and the fact that you think I should not, says that you have judged my non-judgement to be the right way so if you can judge that, why can't I?

Is reciprocity not fair play where you come from?

Regards
    DL

10. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Cop out.

Use todays standards because that book is being followed today and you have no way of knowing what the standards were way back when.

Regards
    DL

11. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

You have to stay within one framework or the other. If you want to claim that somebody's reasoning is wrong, you can't substitute your own premises for theirs. You can say that their premises are false or that their premises don't lead to their conclusion but you can't complain that your premises don't lead to their conclusion.

The idea that God is "satan-like" is both your premise and your conclusion. It doesn't reflect at all on Christian beliefs, only your own confusion.

12. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Mr. Greatest I Am, answers to your Post #46 :

!. - I am in no way "...offended that Gnostics recognize males as God's and females as Goddesses" nor did I state such.It was a question in reference to your Post #34, which I asked, because the statements, SEEMED, to me, to be contradictory.
    It SEEMS, to me, I repeat, to me, that you have not answered that question, by the way (which,as it SEEMS, to me, to be "par for the course").

2. - I do not want to make "God" nor nor the word "God" anything at all, .

3. - I clearly prefaced my QUESTION about goats/sheep with : "Since it SEEMS...". And it was a QUESTION, not a statement of FACT nor a JUDGEMENT of mine. As follow up to that clearly ASKED QUESTION I then ASKED : "Does being a follower/practitioner of the "Gnostic Gospels" somehow imbue a person with that Right?".

4. - In answer to your question : "...if you can judge that, why can't I?" - I ask questions to try to elicit answers or clarifications to things that SEEM, to me, to be UNCLEAR or CONTRADICTORY. I prefer doing precisely that instead of JUDGING a person or making a JUDGEMENT based on a possibly flawed, on my part, perception of their words or actions.
    So my answer is : I do not JUDGE. Therefore what you, MR. Greatest I Am, can or cannot do, is up to you.
    However, by you Posting in an open forum, you have given an "implied consent" to other people questioning what you post.

5. Yes, reciprocity is more than "fair play" where I come from, it is both expected, accepted and more importantly respected.
    How about where you come from?
    I always try to do my best to answer any questions that are asked of me. However, it SEEMS, to me, that you do not SEEM to try to answer questions I ask of you, Mr. Greatest I Am, I repeat, it SEEMS to me that you do not SEEM to.
    I ASK, is that your idea of the definition of RECIPROCITY, I repeat, ASK?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  13. birch Valued Senior Member

exactly, christianity is not based on reason but beliefs. however, analyzing those beliefs and what they are does reflect on christianity, even if it's a belief just as the judgements, actions and reasonings in the bible can be analyzed for what they are. whether another agrees or disagrees does not necessarily mean they are confused.

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Truth is guys...people "back then" grappled with the same "sins" we struggle with today: lust, greed, desire for power, envy, sloth, etc... Difference between then and now is we have technology. Mankind...in both its beauty and depravity hasn't changed much.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If the bible were written today, man would still mess it up. There are no better standards today than back then, I'm afraid, Greater.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Actually, many things have changed since then. We don't keep people as slaves, we don't treat women as property. Almost everyone is literate. We know what causes most diseases, and it's not a curse or black magic, it's viruses and bacteria. We know where we are in the universe, that there is a universe, that the stars are very hot balls of matter, that there are other planets, that we have structures called genes and DNA which guide our development, that mental illness is a developmental disorder of the brain... I could go on. There is no worse guide to morality than that of patriarchal bronze age shepherds.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

And thus you echo the core of every religious argument since the beginning of time. "I know the Truth and you don't! Why should we tolerate your ignorant beliefs? This is for your own good."

17. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Sure but Christians believe that human sacrifice is a moral thing to do so I would question their morals and other opinions to see if they are as wrong and immoral as that one.

I have no confusion that I know of. What exactly am I confused about?

Christians who call evil good are quite confused and I can show their double standards of morality to all who can discern it.

Regards
    DL

18. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

And my answer is foe you ta look at definitions in Webster. I do not plan on re-writing the English language.

Regards
    DL

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Really? How about the problems of human trafficking, and how polygamy is alive and well in other parts of the world? Sexism and discrimination is alive and well in the U.S., and pervasive elsewhere, too. There are civil wars in parts of Africa over 'conflict diamonds.' Bigotry can be seen everyday, in a variety of ways. I could go on and on. Mankind's depravity hasn't changed much...we just label it differently, now. Legally, scientifically, and medically...yes, progress has been made, but mankind's nature is just as benevolent and malevolent as it was back then.

20. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

+ 1

Regards
    DL

21. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Christians don't believe that human sacrifice is a moral thing. You may believe they do but they don't. Your inability to distinguish between your beliefs and reality is an example of your confusion.

22. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Except for, of course, the one human sacrifice that the entire religion is based on...

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. On the other hand we now have nuclear weapons - and have used them to kill a third of a million people. And then rationalized to ourselves that this was a good thing. We regularly have wars that kill tens of thousands of people, and occasionally have wars that kill millions. We have developed chemical and biological weapons that will kill huge numbers of people slowly and agonizingly. We have civil wars where people go around with machetes and hack hundreds of thousands of families to death.

In many areas our technology has improved, and this has allowed us to (for example) end slavery and replace it with mechanization. But that will to evil is, unfortunately, still there.