Is the bible the word of god?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Xelasnave.1947, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And who might this prince be, pray tell.....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

??? did the glass blowers know about - red glass panes in old cathedrals are made of gold? - BEFORE being blessed? or did the priest know and would only tell the glass blowers after the blessing?

Note rhetorical - I know most of the details

Happy to have kx000 give it a go through

Write4U likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

The "Word of God" in theism is also known as "Lexicostatistics" in science. In the abstract that is.......

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kx000 Valued Senior Member

The angel of equanimity

8. gmilam Valued Senior Member

You're welcome.

That's the same passage a good friend of mine (Jehovah's Witness) always quoted as "proof" that the bible was God's word.

I tried to explain circular reasoning to him - to no avail. But we were always able to discuss and agreed to disagree, and we still remained friends.

davewhite04 likes this.
  9. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

lol

10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I enjoyed the Asian/Eastern excerpts the most. I think Confucianism reminds me of Space Odyssey : 2001 in a way. It looks like the "ancients" may have just evolved enough, maybe something to do with the brain, to form the beginnings of civilisation.

Really interesting.

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Or a new Jet Plane......

12. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I just checked. The book of Job mentions insiration in the same way as Timothy... it looks like Paul "borrowed" the line, or it's true one or the two.

Scripture. This is again only mentioned in the old testament once, in Daniel but the angel seemed to be talking about some divine object. I don't quite understand why they used it in the way they did in the new testament.

13. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

That went way over my head.

Can you break it down?

14. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Number 3 if my memory is correct

Not number 3 in sequence

Still has the other 2

Problem - he does not leave on them

Well he does, but he comes back

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Are you equating human personal character virtues with angels?

Are virtues angels or do angels have virtues? If so, do some angels have sins? Do they represent sins. Devil?

Are sins and virtues angelic aspects or human aspects?

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Next he'll be demanding a rocket, because planes don't get close enough to heaven and he wants to get close enough to "touch the face of God"
    https://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/john-magee.html

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No, You'll have to watch;
    ROBERT HAZEN - CHANCE, NECESSITY, AND THE ORIGINS OF LIFE Start the lecture @ 25:00

18. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

How will that explain your thought? I'm not joking around here, and don't take kindly to being patronised.

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

If you do not do any research outside of your box, you cannot expect everyone else to study your documents if you refuse to study related but incidentally opposing views on origins, i.e. the "word of god". That is a lexical question no? Or are you telling me it's just another in a long line of metaphors?

Well, Authorship of Origins happens to apply to the study of chemical evolution and distribution on an earthlike planet.

I don't patronize anyone, but theist attitudes are invariably patronizing. I don't blame them, they are supposed to proselytize by divine command. But then, I should have the right to present evidence against the theist perspective, no?

Trust me, Hazen will not mention God or any religious theme. This is purely about chemistry, but told in a most easy and relaxed format and will expand your knowledge of origins a great deal.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

You don't want to go down the path of whether I am a theist or not. Regardless, what are you debating? Your thought?

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Does it matter? Are you not curious how the chemical world functions? It's only fundamental to EVERYTHING, including Origins of life in the universe.

22. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I've never been interested in chemistry, I put faith in people like you for telling the truth about what I'm not interested in. A bit like you with philosophy, you sound great, but it all comes tumbling down to evolution. We have accepted it as part of the question we are talking about, we don't need any further information. I don't know if that is related to this thread or one of the others.

EDIT: It is interesting dissecting religion then killing it.

EDIT: And the Young Earth vs Evolution may pop up again on our travels, so fill you gun up.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  23. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Yes!

Not all angel's are virtues, but all angel's are a living thing. All positive things are angels all negative things are demons.

FAITH can be both angel and human.