Is the earth it's own entity

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by andy1033, Jul 21, 2002.

1. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

i read that through out history that people believe that the earth is it's own entity. they reckon that it looks after itself and can act in self defence too. do you people believe this is possible.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Jameson's Theory of the Composition of the Universe: 95% of everything is stupid.

Why would nature evolve organic intelligence if any old rock could be just as smart/self-aware?

Mining is murder and making concrete is cloning. Right.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

There is the theory that the Earth, in and of itself, is not an entity, but rather is a system. When looked at as a whole, there may actually be more to it than the sum of it's parts (weather, animal life, plant life, oceans, land mass movement, etc.). Similarly, there is much discussion about the intelligence of man being more than can be accounted for by the sum of his parts (brain, chemical reactions, neurons, etc.).

I guess it depends upon how you define "itself".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

the Gaia theory. True to a point, "space ship earth". The earth is, basically, a self-contained, closed ecological system. It just happens to be very huge. And yeah, it does have ways to keep up its maintenance, etc.

8. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Not entirely closed, but there isn't much coming into it (that we know of).

9. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

10. kmguru Staff Member

A lot of EM radiation including photons without which our life would not exist.

11. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Good point! (I should've thought of that...)

12. kmguru Staff Member

Well, think fast...you have only 26 postings....very good ones, I might add...

13. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

That's 86! (now 87)

I believe in "discussion", so I try to make them good ones that will elicit (some) good discussion.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

BatM,

I would echo kmguru's thoughts that you should post a bit more. You have the aptitude and the intellegence. So use it...

15. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Thanks. I get around, but I can't be everywhere at once. Actually, I'm probably spending far too much time posting and not enough time working.

Considering the discussions that go on here, perhaps some of you should also take a look at the forums on the Amazing Randi's website. Just a thought.

16. Awaranowski Registered Senior Member

Earth, an organism

Maybe it does have defense mechanisms. Say we, the human race, is a virus from the Earth's standpoint. We pollute and destroy, while we multiply without any signs of slowing down or adapting. And out of nowhere, viruses and diseases break out and wipe out tons of people. Where do they come from? No one really knows where E Bola came from.. other than being a virus that evolved from its ancestor strains which only affected monkeys. Maybe it was the Earth protecting itself. Maybe the earth sleeps just like other organisms, except when it sleeps, it's called an Ice Age. When you think that way, you can come up with a lot of other similarities that the earth has with other organisms.

17. kmguru Staff Member

Re: Earth, an organism

Are we a good virus or bad? Since, the Earth allowed itself for us to grow and get a foot hold to a point of having the ability to protect earth from asteroid impact (one of these days) - I would assume, we are the good guys with sometimes unintended problems...

18. Awaranowski Registered Senior Member

Are we a good virus or bad? Since, the Earth allowed itself for us to grow and get a

"Are we a good virus or bad? Since, the Earth allowed itself for us to grow and get a foot hold to a point of having the ability to protect earth from asteroid impact (one of these days) - I would assume, we are the good guys with sometimes unintended problems.."

Viruses are self-serving. If we do something to keep a meteor from knocking into us, it's not because we love the planet. We're doing it to save our own asses. Sparing the planet is a side effect. When we've multiplied too much and we've used up all the earths' resources, we're likely to move out into outerspace to colonize and infiltrate other planets to survive. And who says we'll be able to protect earth from an asteroid? It would probably do the earth a favor by wiping us out.

19. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Re: Are we a good virus or bad? Since, the Earth allowed itself for us to grow and get a

On the other hand, if you look at the humans (as well as animals and perhaps plants) as exhibiting a "swarm intelligence" with the earth as the core, then this "swarm" may represent the best chance for the Earth's evolution into the next stage. Of course, in this model, you have to stop thinking of the Earth as being limited to the ball of rock that circles the Sun.

20. kmguru Staff Member

Re: Re: Are we a good virus or bad? Since, the Earth allowed itself for us to grow and get a

Excellent BatM. If that is true (even a small possibility) we need to rethink our knowledge management infrastructure. Otherwise, with the geometric information explosion, instead of order, we will have chaos in short order. (Like instead of bees making honey in a hive, each one will be heading to their own teeny weenie nest and all hell ...)

21. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Are we a good virus or bad? Since, the Earth allowed itself for us to grow and get a

Not really. You have to consider what the evolution might be leading to. The bee hive's purpose is to acquire food, make honey, support the queen, and grow the next generation. As the next generation grows up and moves out, the hive becomes a superhive whose purpose is to grow the genetic population of the race through the creation of more hives. As the hives grow, they may conflict from time to time, but, in general, they support the growth of the overall bee race by doing things like ensuring that the flowers they depend upon grow and cross-pollenate.

Also, remember that, according to Chaos Theory, there is a certain amount of "order" in chaos.