Is the economy improving?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by darksidZz, Jan 5, 2012.

1. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

A totally illegible table. Great thread necromancy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. brucep Valued Senior Member

It's interesting to read these older posts, by you, to see just how right you are. So Joe what kind of a stimulus, to our present economy, would result from increasing the minimum wage to the proposed 15 bucks an hour? Per Joepistole. Hard to believe those who profess to public servitude would be against that unless they're servitude is to the oligarchy. Probably going to hear how this would reduce jobs in the private sector [from the cranks of conservatism]. Complete nonsense. Damage small business. Complete and utter bullshit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Getting more money into the hands of middle class and lower income folks is a good thing - especially now - for the economy. The question is, how? What is the best way to make than happen? Small business owners have some very legitimate concerns. Many small businesses operate under very small margins. Any increase in minimum wage costs, will almost immediately increase the cost of doing business and some businesses may not be able to sufficiently raise revenues or improve productivity enough to offset higher labor costs a higher minimum wage would bring. That would ultimately put people out of work, and that's not a good thing.

So, we need to and should increase the minimum wage. It would be great for the economy. It's exactly what our economy needs at this time. But we need to be smart about it. I think the best way to do that is with an earned income tax credit. The earned income tax credit could be passed to the employee through his paycheck. That would be the best way, because it puts the money into the hands of employees quickly and minimizes the income and tax reporting burden for most Americans.

We could also lower or eliminate payroll taxes for folks who earn less income. Obama lowered payroll taxes for all wage earners in his first term. It was part of his stimulus plan. It was a great idea. But it was only temporary.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. brucep Valued Senior Member

Thanks Joe. I'm pretty naive with respect to operating a small business. And I used my own proposal, LOL, rather than the more prudent $10.10 hour. It should be at least $20 bucks an hour if it hadn't been buried in 'no goes' for the last 50 years. I got my first job in 1964 and the minimum wage was $1.25 hour. The site I just read predicts that is equivalent to $9.04 hour in today's economy. So the minimum wage was higher in 1964 than it is now. Fucking oligarchy. I could write a book on the nonsense cost cutting and job reduction proposals floated by the refining industry. The good thing about my experience is none of it flew. In reality nobody wanted to discuss the possible negative impact associated with safety and environmental compliance. And OSHA stepped in when it became clear the industry couldn't regulate itself.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Have I ever done that to you? NO! So answer what I asked.

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

It tells where your federal money goes and how much to each agency. - If you can't follow the posted version for any agency of interest, go to the link given and see it all in well separated columns. (I only did that for the first and last agency.)

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Wow this is unreal reading old thread like this guys

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't think economy will collapse anymore