Is the essence of Buddhist philosophy meaning the Escape From Nature?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by duendy, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Datura surrender to nothing Registered Senior Member

There is no path advised by a Buddha.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Isn't there? Not directly of course, but the teachings are that how to reach buddhahood. At least that is my impression.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

WELL you've got THAT right ...bitch!

actually it is a contradiction. thats why teres so many screwed up buddhists

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Calm down, duendy boy, a little chillout will do you good.
    Everything is fine, take a deep breath, count to five.

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

actually avatar...boy, i was completely calm when i posted that reply to you.

9. water the sea Registered Senior Member

duendy,

This duality exists only if you insist on keeping your "Western" mind, conditioned to think of itself in terms of "personality" or "ego", yet still try to understand "Eastern" thought. It won't work.
    This duality is ot inherent to "Eastern" thought per se.

Because maybe, I am causing myself suffering, by being sad as a result of ignorance, fear, depression, mine or another's ill will or conceit.
    Generally, nobody wants to suffer, and we try to avid suffering or eliminate it.

For example, I was sad and angry for a long time that I have brown eyes. People who were close to me all cherished blue eyes, and said that brown eyes are so common, and that I am nothing special, since I have brown eyes. And that, since I have brown eyes, and am thus nothing special, I should not hope to ever be loved by a man.

Yes, this may sound stupid, but if you are a 10-year old girl who is fed such prejudice, you will be deeply hurt by it. And you won't know how to stand up against it without causing yourself more aggravation and without filling yourself up with resentment and anger.

Now, the question is, how to rationally refute that prejudice.

Please. If anything, Western culture is brutal at this. Statistically based psychology posits a "norm", and then you are expected to confirm to it, or you are branded as "abnormal". It is modern consumerist Western culture that constantly tells you "You are not good enough as you are!"

But they are separate. You are not your emotions.

I don't think so at all.
    The mind, as far as I understand Buddhism, is just a container of thoughts, whatever they are, memories or perceptions. You are not your mind. The thoughts that you have -- they are not you, and you don't own them. If anything, you are just harboring them, literally.

I'm not an expert on Buddhism, so I am only giving you my opinion. But from as much as I have read and listened to, it seems I understad it. Don't take my words to be any kind of official authority on Buddhism though. I'm just telling you things as they work for me.

So ... as far as I understand, we don't practice or meditate so as to get something out of it. There is no goal to meditation.

We practice because we suffer.

And as we practice, our mind turns around, so to speak.

But as soon as you sit down with a particular goal, things will go haywire and you'll become angry and nervous.
    As soon as you sit down in order to "sublimate emotions and eventually get to a state of no suffering" -- you have set yourself up for disappointment.

Are you determined to let it be that way, and leave it at that, and let those people be your only source of information on Buddhism?

So you have nothing but assumptions to go with?

You can be bigger than that. You don't have to be shut down by that.

Heh. Some Buddhists will tell you "There are no Buddhists!"
    The term "Buddhist" is just a practical necessity so that the people who are of a certain inclination can be informed about things concerning them.

What kind of abuse?
    Were they deriding you verbally, or did they go at you physically or threatened to do so?

Do not let the object of your examination define itself. You are being passive in your analysis, taking that someone is something just because they say so.

Avatar made a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

It is your own pride that offends you.

He did not accuse you of brain damage. He said:

"You probably have a medical condition. Braindamage I presume."

He used the words "probably" and "I presume". This is not an accusation, it is a presumption.

10. water the sea Registered Senior Member

There is the middle path ...

11. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Duendy, I'm afraid you are suffering from the paralysis of analysis.

12. duendy Registered Senior Member

thats your interpetation. i dont agree wid it

13. water the sea Registered Senior Member

duendy,

Then you better stay away from Buddhism, and any theism as well.

It seems easy to make you feel ashamed and offended.

It seems you have made feelings into your god ...

This is not true. Not once have I see a Buddhist text claim that "all is suffering".
    I suggest you read this: Life isn't just suffering by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

I think you are very romantic and idealistic.

And this point, you completely missed.

Okay, so you are your emotions.
    But this doesn't mean that I am my emotions, or that some other person is his emotions. Maybe we experience themselves differently than you.

?

So they say that, yes. So what?

Dhammapada 1:

3. The hatred of those who harbor such ill feelings as, "He reviled me, assaulted me, vanquished me and robbed me," is never appeased.

4. The hatred of those who do not harbor such ill feelings as, "He reviled me, assaulted me, vanquished me and robbed me," is easily pacified.

5. Through hatred, hatreds are never appeased; through non-hatred are hatreds always appeased -- and this is a law eternal.

6. Most people never realize that all of us here shall one day perish. But those who do realize that truth settle their quarrels peacefully.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You offend yourself, duendy boy. Your perception of the world around you, in you and through you.
    As for me, my wish is not to offend anyone, my only wish is to play and join in with the natural dance of Kali. And I am honest during that play.
    A clear mind can not be offended. You receive only an impulse, emotion you create yourself and for yourself.
    Take a deep breath, count to five, know your mind, be its master not the slave.

15. duendy Registered Senior Member

yes. someones view...........

16. duendy Registered Senior Member

do YOU want braindamage...haha

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

No, it is yourself, who sees being a boy as something undesired.
    As for me, I like that phrase since seeing "Clockwork Orange" long ago.
    By your responses. Of course I presume you're not making a theatre.
    No, that's what I know.
    Is it yours to offer?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  18. duendy Registered Senior Member

so....your a wannabe zen master hey?
    try this:

sorry is the hardest word

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My pleasure to please you!
    I am sorry for your mind being in such a state that it insulted itself reacting to nothing, but my little, playful words.
    Feel better?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. water the sea Registered Senior Member

duendy,

Have you read this?

Look. I think that your view, as it is, is modern and can survive only if life is relatively easy for you. But think about people who actually work to sustain themselves, people who work hard in fields from dawn to dusk, or indigenuous people who hunt and gather for a living. From that perspective, your view is very romantic and idealistic.
    I'm not saying that my life is that hard, but if I would cling to my emotions as much, if I'd feel offended and intruded into as easily as you do, my life would be hell.

YES, YOU CAN SNIP QUOTES, AND I HAVE TOLD YOU SO MORE THAN ONCE.

I can see that you are replying via an advanced reply with quote window. If your system allows you to do that, then it also allows you to post parts of quoted text.

Here's what you can do:

Do you have a mouse? Can you copy-paste?

With the mouse, mark the post you are replying to. If you are running Windows, press ctrl+c or right-click and choose "copy".

Then scroll down to the bottom of the thread. There, you will find a "Quick Reply" window. Click into it with the mouse, and click ctrl+v (that is, press they key "control", hold it, and then press the key "c", then let go both), or right-click on the mouse and choose "paste". This will copy-paste the marked post.

If the "Quick Reply" window doesn't show, then in the same line (it's a grey oblong field and on the right it says "Quick Reply") click the + sign, this will open it.

Once you are in the "Quick Reply" window, you can freely delete and type.

Be sure to delete the [ QUOTE] tag in the upper left corner of the "Quick Reply" window, as well as the [ /QUOTE] tag in the lower right corner of said window.

Okay? If you still don't know what to do, or if what I told you doesn't work, then describe what you have done, and what happened.

21. duendy Registered Senior Member

sorry is the hardest word

22. duendy Registered Senior Member

ok. read before that free unwanted lesson. stick to te subject!

23. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I give up.