Is the theory of evolution true?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by PetriFB, Jul 10, 2006.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, I disagree.

Evolution - as the fundamental change in allele frequencies - is a simple, mathematical process. 1:1. 1:2:1. Basic mathematical ratio. The only question is the issue of the coefficients associating the G and P matrices; which, again, is an issue of coefficients, and thus "differentiation by degree".

What you're taking issue with is a specific case in overall evolutionary theory - which, to reiterate, I have not refuted and do not refute now. But this too reflects a simple case of variance in the coefficients; female eukaryotes might well produce more female progeny than male, but if selection coefficients applied against females are twice as high as males, then the presumptive selective advantage at hatch or birth is lost. Yet evolution, in the above case, would still proceed under Mendelian Law, which in conjunction with quantitative or qualitative P-G association is still a mathematical process, albeit probably with more environmental error. Females might well have selective advantages in demography - but still under a mathematical, Mendelian system.

Perhaps what I'm really arguing for is a refit of Mendelian Law to incorporate P-G correlation into a cohesive "Evolutionary Law". Coefficients of the association between matrix components need not in any way be fixed or preconceived, but should respond to the parameters of the system of interest.

Or: other things are never equal.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.