is the universe a stupid design?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by birch, Mar 2, 2010.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

http://vodpod.com/watch/1736648-the-universe-is-a-stupid-design-streakr-videos

it seems to be or that in actuality, life in this universe is a mistake or accident. it's the biggest mystery of all because the universe seems to be structured in a way that is less hospitable to life than more so.

could we liken life in this universe similar to an ectopic pregnancy? where we find ourselves here but this universe is not the most conducive to life?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd agree. With all that is out in space, no air, radiation and distances between planets, I'd think you are correct. It would seem that life coming into existance is rather unique and exceptional rather than ever evolving and abundant everywhere.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Mistake or accident implies that there was purpose and reason to it in the first place.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Some have said that it is the only design that would ever bring human beings into existence.

Others have said that it is a design that would bring intelligent beings such as humans into existence throughout the universe.

That is the continuing question that people search answers for.

8. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

How is the very thing that spawned what we define and experience as life not conducive to it?

9. birch Valued Senior Member

this is assuming that there are no other dimensions or universes that are more conducive to life or are perfect for it.

there are too many mistakes in nature to assume that 'life' in this universe is party of it's design. it seems to be merely a mistake or occurence with no purpose.

if there was a purpose, we would probably be aware of it from the getgo. however, we are just constantly in battle to stay alive.

10. birch Valued Senior Member

it's not even scientific but an assumption.

this doesn't even make sense as humans coming into existence is merely chance and circumstances.

the first as in 'human form' may be true but the second is definitely a total conjecture. life evolves and adapts to the environment it finds itself in and it's shape and largely it's 'vessel' is also shaped by the universe and it's materials. this is like wearing a suit. all life does have something in common as per this planet though. it may be life exists in other universes with much different coping skills as well as environments. there may even be a single source of life which we have been dispersed from.

i see our existence here similar to a splinter under the skin. it doesn't mean it originally belongs there but it can happen.

of course this is all conjecture too but to assume that intelligent life can only evolve here is just a guess.

11. startender Registered Senior Member

Life is a consequence of mother nature screwing around.

. . . I am currently prohibited by this forum from providing a link to the evidence I had intended to present to support my assertion . . .

"To be able to post links your post count must be 20 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post."

One down . . . 19 to go. Wish me luck! ;o)

12. delete Registered Member

Who is this guy? This man is hilarious!

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Which guy? There are several posters in this thread. Your post could reasonably refer to the last poster before you, or the OP. Which is it?

And while you are at it, perhaps you could share with us what exactly you find hilarious.

Birch,
    There is insufficient evidence to support your statement that it seems life is an accident. There is arguably more evidence to support the notion that life is inevitable and perhaps commonplace.
    While it may be that other universes could be more conducive to life, that is not the same as saying this universe is not conducive to life. A mere billionaire may not be as rich as Bill Gates, but he is still damn well off.

This is based on your presumption that design is always perfect by a set of standards that you have defined. It ain't necessarily so.

No. It implies that life on Earth was a low probability event. That is all.

14. birch Valued Senior Member

take for instance birth defects. we can see that is a mistake and that is why many are stillborn. if nature was perfect, there wouldn't be any such defects. we are constantly trying to "fix" what nature messes up and find ways to make nature work in our favor.

this is why it seems that life and this universe seem to contradict or clash with eachother moreso.

if pure mathematics or laws of this universe can never be violated (perfect in that sense), then how it is on the level of life that there are mistakes and lots of violations?

it seems to be another level of reality which seems less related to this universe.

some level the universe is unaware of life. that's why a wave isn't aware of killing life nor is water aware of giving life. if it's unaware of life and does what it does, then there are two systems that are operating in the same space, life systems and laws of nature/universe.

even if they are related to some extent, they are not completely in unison. they have different agendas.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  15. delete Registered Member

Neither, I was implying the man in the video was very charismatic. Only wish I could find the full presentation.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So the universe was designed huh?

17. birch Valued Senior Member

or accident. by design it could mean simply like if you took food and splattered it on the wall how it would look and where the food would stick in particular places depending on angle, trajectory and a host of variables or if you drop objects on the floor, where they would land and in what order etc.

design doesn't necessarily mean conscious intent.

18. jmpet Valued Senior Member