Is there a female equivalent...?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by visceral_instinct, Apr 24, 2008.

1. draqon Banned Banned

she want's dominance, grawwwww.....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

The way it was really meant to be!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Omg, that pisses me off so badly.

Yeah and I'm shitless sick of hearing how men must be superior, because it was men who discovered everything, invented things, etc. Women only had proper education in the last 100 or so years!!!!! (this usually from male chauvinist pigs)

I don't think either of them should be dominant. I wish for an equal relationship, not one with a dom/sub dynamic.

Oh my god no!! I'd love to be bigger and stronger. I do a lot of weightlifting, because I want to be all ripped and harsh looking, you know like Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil 2(I'm a girl) O.O

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Exacly!!! That's what I said to Barbiegirl14

I don't see anything wrong with that.

8. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

There are many words which are supposed to be the female equivalent but however have some other meaning to them. Usually to be of a sexual nature. You're right, linguistics is biased and favours male connotations. Their female counterparts are mostly used in a sexual derogatory way. Anything feminine is generally viewed as weak and unimportant. Even insults are gender biased, you call a man something like a whining bitch and it has more impact than calling him a tosser. Women who swim in the same circles as men usually have to have a good dose of testosterone to be even considered worthy of nominal acknowledgement. Anyone who says anything against the discrimination is branded a shrew and is stripped of the only thing men deem to be of value, their sexuality. You can say what you like as long you you have a smile on your pretty face and your tits out to distract them. I'm not saying all men are (dare I say the word?) sexist (yet another devalued word [someone makes racist remarks and mods are all over them like a fly on shit but mention the word sexist and that's ok, it's just the little woman talking, she'll shut up in a minute and go back to washing the dishes and pleasing me]) just that most don't even know it. Baw, take that bitch ( yet another feminine word used to hurt men where it hurts the most).

I love you really manpeople, you have nice man parts I like to play with. Please don't hate me for wanting things fair.

9. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Orleander:
    I've always thought as balls not as courage, per se, but 'reckless courage'. Courage which has you questioning the sanity of the individual, but also holding them in grudging admiration. For example, standing up to a bully in courageous, but I wouldn't say the person has 'balls'. I wouldn't say it about diving into a frosty lake to save your drowning child. However, that recent news report of a woman biting a pit bull on the nose so that it would release its grip on her dog? THAT'S balls.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

EmmZ 3 things

Firstly yes bitch refers to a female. A female DOG actually so is it species biased as well?

Secondly you dont think stero typing works against men too? For instance until recently its been a social no no for men to cry at all. Who cares if your partner or daughter was raped and murded you cant show grief. Is that healthy? no its not. Hell its not even acceptable for a man to show he is depressed and seek treatment which is why men have such a higher suicide rate. I would much rather have my gender used as a swear word than watch them all die because of un realistic stero typing

Thirdly as i have said i dont think the "grow some balls" comments actually evolved from any gender in equality at all. As i said its more likly to have grown out of the practice of castrating young boys pre pubity. So if its gender biased at all its against men.

I really dont get why feminists want to see a bias in EVERYTHING.

11. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Emmz:
    Which is why patriots refer to their country as a 'she', right? Which is why captains and car owners refer to their vehicle as a 'she'? Which is why hardcore nerds refer to their PC as a 'she'?

Put the pipe down, sweetheart.

12. lepustimidus Banned Banned

asguard:
    Because they have an inferiority complex, and it gives them meaning in life to go around arguing over menial shit.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Actually i belive your wrong here.

Ever herd the saying that a calvery man is married to his horse?
    Or a solder married to his gun?

I belive thats where the practice of calling countries and ships "she" started because they felt they were married to them closer than to there lovers (wives, gfs, whatever). As for the newer references like cars and computers i think its just an exstention of the older usages. As homosexuality was demonised in the past and still is (more so than females i hate to tell all the feminists) calling your boat a "he" would have put you under suspesion.

Actually i would love to get a gay mans perspective on this because it would be interesting to see if they follow the convention or refer to there more treasured positions as "HE"

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You can use "nutcracker" for a woman, that's what they use for Hillary to show she is tough...

15. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I see your point, I apologise for any offence caused. Sorry fellas.

16. Roman Banned Banned

Nope. As long as we've been cutting the balls off of creatures and seeing that they turn into flabby breasted, soft spoken, even-tempered, sterile femme-like beasts, we've known that the source of a man's manhood is his, well, manhood.

17. Roman Banned Banned

"Generally", douchebag.

18. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Castratos ...
    But the sound is ghastly.

19. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

"tough titties"
    Bhagwan Sri Rajneesh's offsider, Sheila

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

It's not that I see a bias in everything...I just feel excluded sometimes when I'm doing some activity and the men are talking about how it takes so much 'balls'.

Yay *hugzz*

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

You can use the gender-neutral word "sand" if you care to. It sidesteps the whole problem.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I have often asserted that Chinese is the most highly evolved language, and the fact that it has no gender illustrates that point, at least in this discussion. Not that you can't express biological gender, but you do it in the way of the analytic language by simply appending the appropriate gender word. Ren is "person," nan is "male" and nyu is "female." So nan ren, "male person" is the way you say "man," and nyu ren is "woman." But the Chinese find no need to make this distinction in normal conversation, so when they talk about ren, no assumption is made about the gender of the people. English is full of gender bias: "All MEN are created equal; a MAN's home is HIS castle." In Chinese it takes extra effort to masculinize these statements and they just don't do it. (Pronouns have no gender either: ta means both "he" and "she.")
    No. It refers to the "rite of passage" of puberty. When a boy has "grown some balls" he has become a man. In the 1960s the phrase became "Show me some hair," another comment on puberty but less sexist, because both boys and girls grow their pubic and armpit hair at that age. A motorcyclist or sportscar enthusiast who could not keep up with the pack on a twisty mountain road was not "showing any hair," regardless of whether the driver was a man or a woman.
    It's just an overreaction. After untold millennia of not being able to complain at all, it's natural that they would exercise their new freedom a little overzealously. They did the same thing when the "dirty word" barrier was broken down at the same time. Some of the foulest-mouthed people I knew back in the 1960s and 70s were women.

Or the sexual revolution. For about ten years it seemed like every woman was determined to have as many sex partners as she could find. So ya see, some of it wasn't so bad and it was worth putting up with the insults.

My wife has always given her cars boy's names and called them "he."
    Although arguably the prostate has more to do with sexual ability than the testes. It contains the nerve center that processes erotic stimulation and produces the orgastic reflex. Castrated men can take hormone supplements and have a sex life. Men who have had prostatectomies cannot.