Is this the best discussion forum that you have ever found?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Dennis Tate, Mar 13, 2021.

?

Is it just my imagination or is Sciforums the best discussion forum available?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Not sure..... I've really never bothered with any other forum for long????

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I've been something of an addict for this type of discussion forums since about 2003....
    and I cannot remember being a part of a group where I have gotten such off the scale well informed and insightful replies as I am getting here on Sciforums .

You all have me turning over something of a new leaf in life.....
    my habit is to be kind of rude and get myself kicked out quickly.....
    because that is easier in so many ways than being booted after developing some friendships......

Even though I have only been here for a weeks or so....
    I find that I am actually sitting here and thinking for a minute and asking myself.....
    should I post this or not?????
    And I often just hit delete... because we Nova Scotian, Canadians we tend to speak or write our minds... with very little filtering.........
    but I am changing somewhat since I joined here.....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

It's one of a handful I keep visiting. The climate changes over time - on all boards.
    People sign on, get bored, have things happen in their walking life, go away for a while and return, go away and never return; new ones come.
    - One way a forum can be ruined entirely is a sudden influx of ignoramuses, or political hard-liners, or yahoos, or religious proselytizers. Sometimes it takes just one determined and prolific fanatic to turn a lot of members off and away.
    - Favourite subjects are exhausted and no interesting material comes along to replace them.
    - A bad, mad "world leader" grabs the limelight for a few years, generates controversy and speculation, then is brought down and carried offstage, leaving a vacuum in political debate.
    - The site changes ownership, policy or moderators, so as to alienate the regulars.
    Some just disappear.
    I've participated in 2 forums where several of those things happened in a couple of years.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

selfish
    territorial/materialist
    insular
    xenophobic
    culturally ignorant
    emotionally backwards
    Racist/sadistic

when you have an economic system designed to make people compete against each other for the necessities of life it creates people whos core moral & social construction & personality are of the above values system
    science has been under sustained attack now for over 20 years

that attack has been flagged as being institutionalized by many different official governments & leaders.

is it any surprise a science forum is fairly quiet.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What do your responses have to do with the question being asked which was "Is this the best discussion forum that you have ever found?"

You list a few words and phrases (as usual) without making them into a complete sentence or thought.

You have listed words and phrases that you generally use to describe the U.S. (in your opinion) but you don't live here so I'm unclear as to why that has anything to do with the question being asked.

Even though it doesn't have anything to do with the question at hand, you seem to have an issue with competition and maybe even a misunderstanding how the necessities of life come about. They don't just appear magically to be handed out. Someone has to produce something and you don't like competition to be involved.

Why is competition an issue in your opinion and what does any of that have to do with the question being asked in this thread?

You are posting so I have to assume that you wish to communicate something.

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

your such a whiner
    you don't want to discuss anything you just want to whine & play power games
    you have attached to a concept of capitalism and stead fast seek to defend it as a personal value
    lol
    talk about brain washed
    and you wont define it & explain your interpretation
    you try & play both sides so you can think you can play the mind games and flip the point

lol
    you tell me then
    since im soo terribly wrong about everything

flash your intellectual brilliance across the page for all to see
    of play pathetic power games trying to play reverse psychology as you did in the other thread

your not doing yourself any favours
    your making yourself look like an ass

is that your intention ?

with a whiney splain victim blaming comment on the end gross !
    you really roll the red carpet out to try and bring the tone down into a negative diatribe that you think you control
    gives you a thrill doesn't it

but sure
    you go on and tell me how it all works 1st
    as you seem to be asserting ive got it wrong

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

It's "you're" rather than "your". It's "steadfast" not "stead fast".
    Why post if you can't deal with any reply?

It's "won't" and not "wont". It's "so" and not "soo".

You are asking me to explain "how it all works" but the question was "Is this the best discussion forum that you've ever found?".

What does me explaining "how it all works" have to do with the topic?

If you are referring to capitalism for me to tell you how you've "got it wrong" you would have to first say something about how you think it works beyond your usual posting of disjointed words and phrases.

What is it that you don't like about capitalism and what is it that you've found to work better? What is it about competition that you dislike? Do you feel that you can't compete? Is that the problem? Is that why, in your words, you are "poor"?

In what system wouldn't you be poor?

Why are we discussing capitalism when the topic is this discussion forum?

10. foghorn Valued Senior Member

And, I'm guessing you all speak common sense there too? Were any of your ancestors from Yorkshire, England?

Dennis Tate likes this.
  11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

A little 'filtering' of mind-content before it passes through the fingers is no terrible thing. At least it's less lumpy!

Dennis Tate likes this.
  12. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

I would like to think so.... but of course we are all biased toward ideas that we heard for decades........

Good point......
    it is worth the effort to do some filtering!

13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Or take your lumps - as it were.

14. foghorn Valued Senior Member

There are ideas and there are ideas, the best ones stick around if they pass the continuous testing, so to speak.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  15. river

Indeed .

Dennis Tate likes this.
  16. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Once a more Theistic Evolutionary Theory catches on......
    it will be here to stay!

17. foghorn Valued Senior Member

And, the starting point of your idea is ''God did it''

Dennis Tate likes this.
  18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I've liked this site because the threads are topic driven. Some forums tend to mirror Facebook and the like, and nothing can kill a forum faster than that, imo. I used to frequent a running site and over time, it eroded into little more than mud slinging matches, personal attacks and political memes. (very little running being discussed, on top of that) No thanks! It's no longer active, now.

Now, personal attacks happen on here to be clear, but there are forum rules that we have to follow and most threads stick on topic.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  19. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Yes..... but my belief is that "God" is a Being composed of fundamental or nearly fundamental energy who
    is first and foremost a scientist and inventor......
    who step by step by step by step learned and got better and better at creating other life forms.....
    over infinite time in the past.

This fits with The Cyclic Model of the Universe and chapter thirteen of Stephen Hawking's Universe entitled The Anthropic Principle.

Dr. Hawking explained an Atheistic / Agnostic version of the Cyclic Model in that chapter but......
    Intelligence originating in fundamental or nearly fundamental energy as explained by basic String Theory.....
    answers many troubling questions.

20. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Yes...... I got a bit of a slap on the fingers for typing the link to my Chaim Tejman M. D. , discussion too often.....
    I took that as a good sign though.....
    rules are needed!

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, if it seems “spammy,” then it’s best to not post it.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What is "fundamental or nearly fundamental energy"? There is no "pure energy" apart from something else.

Dennis Tate likes this.
  23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

You do understand energy is not stuff right?

You cannot compose (make something) of energy

Me thinks you are in the realm of

An intangible, modifiable force (often characterized as either 'positive' or 'negative') believed in some New Age religions to emanate from a person, place or thing and which is (or can be) preserved and transferred in human interactions; shared mood or group habit; a vibe, a feeling, an impression. (Compare aura.)

My highlight - Definition Number 4 from English app dictionary

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Dennis Tate likes this.