Is Time The Imaginary Number?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by ghost7584, Dec 21, 2005.

1. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

Sorry dude, I don't still don't buy it, but I applaud you for taking the time to type it all over again from scratch anyway.

I have an MSEE from Stanford and a BSEE from Virginia Tech with an astrophysics concentration and two minors. I know bullshit when I smell it. It's glaringly obvious that you don't have a degree in physics, much less any significant formal education. If you'd like, I can make a list of my reasons; perhaps you could use it to more successfully bullshit other people in the future.

Let me thank you for the oh-so-wise lessons you gave me on such advanced topics as the use of the symbol j in electrical engineering texts, or the definition of an ampere in fundamental SI units. Without people like you, I'm sure I'd be lost for good.

- Warren

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

I think that I am quite correct, actually. You don't understand what I tried to say.
    Do you see time, weigh it, what color is it? How tall is it? It is in another dimension, just like your imaginary number and imaginary axis is.
    The units will not be wrong after algebraic manipulation of the variable t, like I did .
    The idea is, that if the imaginary number causes the measurements to come out correctly in the real world, then there is some real quantity acting on the real world, and in another dimension. Time is the only thing mathematically proven, in general relativity to do that.
    This isn't just playing around with numbers, like a mathematician does. The imaginary number must represent something real, though in another dimension, to make the measurements for circuits to come out correctly.
    I think I am quite correct, actually.
    [In relativity theory time is already being used as an imaginary number. If the universe is really uniform, this should be true in other disciplines also.]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

I understand perfectly well; you are just wrong. You have a very weak grasp of dimensionality. You would greatly benefit from a linear algebra course. If you take one be sure to pay particular attention to what kinds of linear spaces (real, function, polynomial, etc.) and dimensions can be represented with simple matrices. I think it would also help you understand better the mathematical concept of orthogonality.

Let's look at your wonderful "algebraic manipulation" where the "units will not be wrong". Look at your result: v = i r + charge. You apparently do not realize that your wonderful derivation only served to highlight exactly the point I have been making. What are the SI units of v? (answer: volts) How about i r? (answer: volts) What are the SI units of charge? (answer: coulombs) You are trying to add volts and coulombs to get volts. I think it was in 4th or 5th grade that they taught me not to add apples and oranges. Perhaps you were absent that day?

I have no idea where you got this ridiculous idea. Lets consider some other examples of dimensions in other disciplines.

How about colorspaces? The color dimensions on your monitor are red, green, and blue. Since there are three of those they must all have units of length. The color dimensions on your printer are cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. Wow! a fourth dimension, it must be time and we must be putting imaginary amounts of black ink on the page.

How about another place where we use imaginary numbers, like Fourier analysis? Well, we are finding frequency components of the form exp(-i w t) so this must really be exp(-w t^2). For the sake of your wonderful theory we will just have to ignore the fact that as t goes to infinity the first one has no limit and the second goes to zero. We will also ignore the fact that (-i w t) is unitless and (-w t^2) has units of time. I guess we should also ignore the fact that there is no such thing as an exp(second). But I am sure your theory must be incredibly useful anyway.

In any case, I have already told you twice that for the impedance example the "real quantity acting on the real world" is capacitance and inductance. There is no mystery and it is not time. I don't know if you have trouble reading english, but I am done repeating myself even if you are not.

I know you do. That is what makes the whole thing both funny and sad.

-Dale

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

8. enlightenment Registered Member

Does ghost even know what dimension means? Seems not. In fact he just seems like another deluded idiot that this site seems to attract. For one, can ghost please explain any of the philosophicial premises he insists must occur?

"The imaginary number must represent something real, though in another dimension, to make the measurements for circuits to come out correctly."

for instance.

What does that even mean? Can we know where that BSc in physics came from 'cos I'd like to know where not to send my kids.

9. Socrates Registered Member

Good suggestion. Keep throwing ideas to people. Eventually someone will heed your requests and rework the equations.
    You may not be completely correct, but you do make compelling arguments. I have read in your post only requests based on great minds and concepts that shaped our modern world. I see no issues with exploring ignorance to prove it right, wrong or unsure. Truth has grey areas; it is falsehood that sees all in either black or white. If A = B, and B = C, then A does not necessarily equate to C; e.g.: "If the glass is on the table, and the table is on the floor, then the glass is on the floor." Is a false statement. Therefore if a theory is unproven, and unproven theories never become fact, then that theory will never become a fact. This is false because all mathematical facts were once theories. If a great mind's quote is said too many times, then it becomes invalid. This is false because If A = B, then A does not automatically equal C. Let us use logic to seek truth and not false words of bigotry.

"False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil."
    by the Greek philosopher Socrates from Phaedo 91

"The unexamined life is not worth living for a human being."
    by the Greek philosopher Socrates from Plato's The Trial & Death Of Socrates