Is tv harmful for children and families?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Lilicia, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Actually, make that entertainment tv.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BobG Registered Senior Member

I think a company recently made one allowing parents to control how long children view TV and at what times. It costs about £80 though

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

I'm sure they made some good money off it. I don't think it came to the USA though...though maybe I just missed it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

cable has a lot of stuff liek that, but its very imperfected

8. platzapS Registered Senior Member

many studies

many studies have shown that TV at a very young age (under 2) can be harmful in development, and a small study done by my former English professor concluded that the more TV kids watched, the better their grades. I don't watch much TV any more, but i still get lousy grades.

*Grades are NOT an indication of intelligence* (but that' s beside the point)

I think TV can be harmful if watched for hours and hours on end, and like he said, reading on the internet is frequently more educating than TV. of course, most of us students use the school computers to play mindless little games.

9. Radwan Registered Member

TV can be considered as a lobbying media; who ever owns the station can brainwash the children and imbed in there tiny head information that is suitable to their product and political agenda. Likewise, TV can lead children to become eluded with what they see; it makes them believe in what they observe.
    I can not say that without justification. For example in the UK the program east Enders, is about social life but mainly 80% of its act is in a drinking environment that will lead our children to believe that this is ok, such a program can Support the Alcohol industry, and children will think that it is the way of the English life.

Entertainment program are based on foul language by comedian, thus our children will pick up the language and they will use it.

Movies of Hollywood that glorify the wars and heroic action beyond believe makes our children without feeling of remorse and become more violent.

Police program showing alcoholic people in the street causing damage and fighting, makes them feel it is normal to do that, specially the boozing night where people are challenged by how much they can drink.

Lately there was a program about cocaine use by most of people, which indicate that high society people and normal people is thinking of cocaine as a very calming drug.
    What is this doing to our children? Clearly they will think it is ok to try.
    Modules are shown to have very slim bodies beyond the norm wearing cloth beyond any one financial capability.

Homosexuality is dominating TV, children will thing that it is ok to try or it is normal. If the TV is just for education it could be helpful otherwise it is supporting agendas by government and lobbying groups.
    I believe it is very damaging to children and brain washing them at an early age, even brainwashing adults, because we believe what we see on TV. And thing can be manipulated by bias media.

10. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

T.V. in today's world has become one of the important sources of pressures of heterosexualisation. The media is so desperate to use it's enormous power for this 'noble' deed, that it just wants to portray the entire world, including living and non-living things as embodying heterosexuality in spirit..

Young boys and girls are shown images and role models of 'heterosexuality' in order to prepare them from a young age, and to reinforce the exclusion and marginalisation of same-sex needs.

Some examples:

- Cartoon network has a 'hero' cat character that proudly acclaims:
    "I'm rude with the guys and soft with the girls"

- Cartoon network (and it seems it is more eager to adopt this role than the others) in all its cartoons has 'guys' running and drooling after 'girls' (even in animals), 'dating' is shown as a 'must' and a natural practice, and 'male eroticism' is shown in derogatory or poor light.

- Johnny Bravo character, e.g. says in a show, where he has to drag up to pretend he is a 'girl', and when he makes a 'yucky' face and pushes aside a man who wanted to kiss him, and the man asks him if (s)he has not been kissed before by a man he replies with disgust --- "No, never...", then says, "OK, only once......I was only 8 years old and drunk".

Of course such images prepare a boy about how to respond in a 'manly' and socially acceptable way (as also a way that would enhance his social masculinity) to acts and situations of physical closeness to another man. No wonder western men are so uncomfortable about being physically close with another man.

- The Cartoon Network channel stresses upon male sexual roles and impresses them upon young minds. E.g. if a male character meets the female character he is almost always likely to get 'turned on'.

They forget that childhood is the age of innocence when the child doesn't know about sexual feelings nor does he care about them. It's indeed like robbing the innocence of children and making them 'heterosexual' and hostile to male-male bonds from an early age.

- There are serials for children on virtually every channel where boys as young as 7 or 8 are shown drooling over, persuing and dating girls. That is not only ridiculous but it is disgusting and amoral. The basic message that they want to send it that it is O.K., and actually expected of you to have casual sex with a female. Plus, you are warned about showing any kind of sexual liking toward another boy.

- Virtually all the programme for men/ boys on western T.V. channels have either a female presenter or a 'couple' who is a presenter. Quiz and other 'competition channels almost always pick up a 'boy'/ 'girl' pair. The entire system is extremely heterosexualised from the begininning of a person's life and his capacity/ power to relate with, bond with and appreciate other males is crippled.

11. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Tell me about it! Everytime I go to turn it on, it makes a pass at my "area". Maybe I shouldn't turn it on?

TV is mostly sh*t.

12. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Leave it to Mr. Buddha! You're just so good at finding the conspiracy.

You know, cartoons are often a parody of real life. And unrealistic.

However, I don't think anyone with a brain could deny the subliminal potential of the messages in cartoons. Yes, heterosexuality does seem to be exaggerated and pushed on them at a young age.

The person I replied to before this, Radwan, complained that homosexuality is everywhere on TV. WHAT??? How does it even compare to the amount of heterosexuality?
    And when young people grow up and out of the stupor of childhood ignorance, a good number of them experience sexual feelings and attractions towards their own gender. And everywhere they look, there is little to support them, but much to suggest that they are freaks, and nearly everything pressures them to go one way, and one way only. Any other option is very often an illusion.

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

this culture wages a war on [some] drugs. includied in the drugs it DON't wage war against is TV---their social-contolling drug par excellance

of course it influences children. for a start, too much of it has made chidren less active, and so more prone to obesity and diseases

the admen aslo capiltaize on 'chidren's TV' by doing what they do to adults (checkoutabout Edward Bernys), ie., mahipulating them to biy crap they don't really want nor need. Along with this is the furthe injry to their health via the sponsorship rom the majorBig Food corporations thatentice childre to buy sugur, salt, fat. saturated foodstuffs, thru placing their 'favoutite' cartoon, etc characters on front of packets of cereals, drinksetc, and making sure they are shelved at child's eye-level. this way the child haraasses mud, dad etc forthe crap

Also as Buddha1 points out, TV ushes social roles and angst onto the child.

An artist did this amazing piece some time back. it was blown up--to really big sized--photographs of children's faces as they watched TV. they looked totally drugged up--!

having said all that. TValso has incredibly good points too. so it is up to the intelligent ADULT to regulate their watching time, and tomake sure they get plenty of excercise. it is actually participation wit actual reality that is crucial for children AND adults!

14. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

There are no real options for children. The more junk and 'bad' the T.V. programmes are the more glamorous they make them. Children just get addicted to them. My small nephews are all crazy about "Power this" and "super that" --- things that keep gunning each other down. There is no escape from 'popular culture', and kids are no exception.

15. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Although I think that Nicholodion is a great channel, with some real good cartoons for children, but I don't think children enjoy it more than cartoon network.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't see where is the problem, really. If you dislike Tv and don't want it for your children, cancel the subscription and take down the antenna.
    Attach a dvd or vcr player and present information what you want.

17. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

I am afraid it doesn't work that way! In this fast life, parents don't really have the time to do all that. Especially when its a nuclear family struggling to raise their children without the help of grandparents, aunts and uncles. And Especially when its a single mother/ father.

18. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Besides, why should we divest the media of its accountability? Why can't we ask it to change?

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Bollocks, all it takes is to cut the cable and order a few dvd's from Amazon.com

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Then you'll be a fool asking till you die. The society is not developed (enlightened) enough for such things.
    If you want it, create your own - or suggest the idea to friends and such.
    And I'm afraid even if you did such a thing, it would be the first penisland tv channel on earth, not something of high culture or anything.

btw - http://www.goodnewsindia.com/

21. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Most parents don't care. They're all being fed from the same tube.

TUBULAR! COWABUNGA!

22. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Seriously, don't we already live in Penisland? Or maybe I should say, Penis-vaginaland.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That's what I'm saying, instead of penisvagina he'd create a penis hugger tv channel. Nothing of change, just another end of the same stick.