Is tv harmful for children and families?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Lilicia, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

I wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work. ~Author Unknown

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

We cannot blame the schools alone for the dismal decline in SAT verbal scores. When our kids come home from school do they pick up a book or do they sit glued to the tube, watching music videos? Parents, don't make the mistake of thinking your kid only learns between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. ~George Bush

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

If you came and you found a strange man... teaching your kids to punch each other, or trying to sell them all kinds of products, you'd kick him right out of the house, but here you are; you come in and the TV is on, and you don't think twice about it. ~Jerome Singer

8. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Television has changed a child from an irresistible force to an immovable object. ~Author Unknown

9. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Today, watching television often means fighting, violence and foul language - and that's just deciding who gets to hold the remote control. ~Donna Gephart

10. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Everything is for the eye these days - TV, Life, Look, the movies. Nothing is just for the mind. The next generation will have eyeballs as big as cantaloupes and no brain at all. ~Fred Allen

11. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Television should be the last mass communication medium to be naively designed and put into the world without a surgeon-general's warning. ~Alan Kay

12. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Every time you think television has hit its lowest ebb, a new type program comes along to make you wonder where you thought the ebb was. ~Art Buchwald, "Adding Insult to Injury," Have I Ever Lied to You?, 1966

13. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

i have deiberately placed my tv in an awkward position... and it is unplugged...

if i want to watch it..;. i must sit in a specific way.. and plug it in...

in this way i have reduced my watching from 5 hours a day to less than 1....

tv greatest crime... is that it robs us of our own lives ... as in time spent living.

instead it offers experience/...... preprogrammed by the lives of fictional people.

people who... unfortunatly.. are generally bad inlfuences...

like drew carey.... sinfeild... and Will and grace...

all of which are loser morons who cant maintain relationships.....

cause they are to self centered... and concerned with self pleasure...

hence the bad influence...

and the shows which are a good influence... are boring and not funny...

hence hence the problem.

-MT