Israel approves plan to uproot 30,000 Bedouin

Discussion in 'Politics' started by S.A.M., Sep 11, 2011.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How much culture does it take to kill cockroaches and lice?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

More than you would think.

I knew one aid worker who said she'd come into a village every 6 months or so, remove everything in a house, burn most of it, if she could. Spray bleach on everything. Let the house air out. Six months later same house infested with lice, roaches, etc...

Meanwhile over half the community is abused one way or another. Alcohol is banned from sale. Gasoline (normal) is banned from sale. Welfare is the norm. The place is a total mess.

It takes a LOT of effort to maintain society. A LOT of effort. Even I go into people's houses, in the US, and I can see a whole different culture then even my own. Let alone Bedouin nomads. Our society is a product of our culture. Unless you're going to completely destroy their culture, they will not live the way we do. It's that simple. At least to me it is

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They have to adapt to the times or they will fail. That's pretty simple.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And what are these "times" where they are being transported from their homes to a Bedouin town against their will? A recreation of Kristallnacht? Don't you find it eerie how many Israeli actions seem to echo the treatment of Jews by others? What is achieved by transporting 30,000 Jews Bedouins into an already overcrowded ghetto?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Jesus, such drama. They are getting brand new houses for a benign purpose, not to be imprisoned and starved to death.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If that is true why have they demolished the villages and passed a court order to transfer the Bedouins before building the new apartments? Also, if they are transfering Bedouins to other Bedouin ghettos which are already overcrowded, then wouldn't it make sense to first provide the infrastructure for the Bedouins already living in overcrowded towns with overcrowded schools with poor facilities before moving tens of thousands more of them there?
    http://www.thenation.com/article/bitter-wine-israels-bedouins

Why do they want to "concentrate" the Bedouins in concentration camps?

Why the harassment?

Why the discrimination?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Because their tribal notions of land ownership don't correspond to modern law. You can be critical of the details, and they might very well be oppressive, but in principle I don't see the problem.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Whose tribal notions? Are we talking about Jewish tribal entitlement to their God given lease here, or the Ottoman and British mandated laws which recognised the right of Bedouins to their lands? Because those Ottoman and British mandate laws are recognised for Jews in Israel, just not for non-Jews.

12. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

The people of Germany didn't really see a problem with the dispossession of European Jews either.

Jewish tribal notions didn't correspond to German law--which was modern and forward looking, at least it was for the German government and its privileged race of Aryans.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What are you talking about? Jews followed all German laws.

14. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Jews weren't following laws that made Jews a threat to national security, by being Jewish and not assimilating into "normal" society. They were perceived as a seperate culture, and sure enough that's how they perceive themselves.

Israel has passed laws making it illegal for Bedouins to have a separate culture, they have to live the way Isreal dictates. For reasons of national security.
    Israel isn't "protecting" the Bedouin minority or its way of life, it's protecting the Jewish way of life.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They can have their own culture, what part of having a new house prevents that? Their nomadic way of life is long gone. The Bedouins think they can still just squat any place in the desert and it's theirs. That's no way to run a country, especially one as small and densely populated as Israel.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

In the long run I totally agree. But, they don't need to now. Hell, maybe not for decades or longer?

17. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Yes, those nasty Bedouins. They've been thinking they can act like Israeli settlers and just live where they like.

Don't they realise you have to be Jewish?

Interesting that you think a culture can be displaced and its members can "still have their culture". Why is their nomadic culture long gone? How did that happen?
    Was it anything to do with being relocated to a small corner of the Negev by the paranoid state of Israel? Was a law passed in the Knesset so this could be done, and if so, how is that not making a way of life illegal, like Germany did?

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, I think it has more to do with climate change. The IDF also removes Jewish squatters.

19. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, for the same reasons why Jews can't rebuild Synagogues in Mecca. I'm surprised you're not leading a march. Oh, wait, no I'm not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Problem is Religion SAM. Most people don't know they are a part of the problem and so, it will go on and on and on and on ...

20. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

The word for your fixations on Israel and serial Godwin violations would not be "eerie." Although, the attempt to bootstrap that into a circular justification is fairly striking.

The IDF wear uniforms and carry guns - just like the SS!!!111oneone

S.A.M. harbors an overriding, nasty hatred of Jews - just like Adolph Hitler!!!!!!1111111111ONE

Meanwhile, it's good to keep the point of Godwin's law in mind, which is that the Nazis and the Holocaust were really, really bad, and that overuse of them as a sexy, dramatic analogy causes said analogies to lose their force, and that this dillutes appreciation of how evil the Nazis actually were. Your program of constant Godwin violations has born this out - after years of this hysteria, your Nazi comparisons now carry zero force around here. Instead of making any strong point about Israel, they simply make you out as a cheap drama queen to be discounted.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  21. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

The difference between what the Nazis did and what Israelis are doing is only a matter of degree.
    Israel has had a lot more time, and presumably believes it has plenty of time left to establish itself as a homeland for the chosen race. The Nazis tried to do to Jews what Israel is doing to other minorities in a lot less time (perhaps they were in a hurry).

That Israel is a country with no compunctions at all about committing war crimes, is not something all the apologists on the planet can misrepresent. This is becoming the reality, Israel is almost universally disliked, even hated, by a lot more people these days. Whose fault is that?

22. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

That kind of limp equivocation is exactly what Godwin addresses.

It's funny how you present ethnic nationalism as somehow confined to Israel, or somehow particularly unique to or emblematic of Nazism.

Ethnic nationalism is commonplace the world over, and the principle of national self-determination - specifically, of the right of each nation to an exclusive state of their own - is the entire basic premise of the world geopolitical order. It is enshrined by nothing other than the UN, the very institution erected in the wake of the confrontation with Naziism to embody a new world order rejecting those sorts of ideas.

So clearly you're missing the crucial parts of the picture here. It's just cheap rhetoric, searching around for any opportunity to make hysterical comparisons and lambast Israel, absent any identifiable historical sense of why Nazism is reviled. Nazi crimes are thereby decontextualized and reduced into flamebait, and the opportunity for serious historical consciousness is lost with it.

None of that has anything to do with the question of stilted Nazi analogies.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member