ISU (Infinite Spongy Universe) Model - SciForums Update 2018

It was minus 1c in the van and I had to get something warm in me so I got up to make a hot cuppa but it was so cold the gas stove would not work too good as I could only get a flame about eigth of an inch high so boiling the kettle took ages ... so I came here to take my mind off how cold it was.
Alex
Reminds me of Foresty Forest

There is a youtube link in case you are interested.

Last edited:
More than a bushy would go for ..bit new, bit too ordered. Anyways I will be off the air from now as I am setting off on a ten hour drive to the city.
Alex
Well, that does give me a bit of a perspective. Sounds quite remote. Can you give coordinates, or an "x" on the map?

That is on the other side of the world from Tampa, FL :)
So far away on Earth, so close by in the universe ...
Found on Wikipedia: Tenterfield is a regional town in New South Wales, Australia. At the 2016 census, Tenterfield had a population of 4,066. Tenterfield's proximity to many regional centres and its position on the route between Sydney and Brisbane led to its development as a centre for the promotion of the federation of the Australian colonies.
Wikipedia
Established:1851
Postcode(s):2372
Elevation:850 m (2,788.71 ft)
LGA(s):Tenterfield Shire
County:Clive
State electorate(s):Lismore
Federal Division(s):New England

My new roll off roof observatory came from Tenterfield.
What is interesting about the place...it is where the speech was made that is seen as the foundation to Australia becoming a federation, some call it "The birth place of federation". The speech made by Herny Parkes I think it was, something that if in the USA would see it as almost a sacred place, but no Aussies don't care for that sort of thing.
Certainly where I am is a great dark site, the closest town has maybe 15 street lights, probably less, and there is no grid power so folk don't use much lighting and being either farmers or hippies go to bed shortly after Sunset, so there is very little light pollution. And minimum block size is 100 acres and a great deal of Forrest, so sparse population.
I am very lucky to be able to see most of the objects I photograph visually and the Milky Way is very clear and bright and spectacular after you have been in the dark and your eyes dark adapt..folk don't know what they miss never seeing parts of our galaxy...it becomes like you are in space a very strange feeling.
North of Tenterfield is one of the most spectacular system of water falls you could hope to see yet even locals have never visited them.
I would visit Tenterfield when I was 50 thru to 57 years and enjoyed a party playboy life style like you would not believe, more action than when I was a young man.
I played guitar with a mate and we rarely paid for our beers and went to most all the parties.
It was like being a kid again.

Alex

I read somewhere that the Aborigines had great knowledge of the constellations.
Australian Aboriginal astronomy is a name given to Aboriginal Australian culture relating to astronomical subjects – such as the Sun and Moon, the stars, planets, and the Milky Way, and their motions on the sky.
One of the earliest records of Aboriginal astronomy was made by William Edward Stanbridge, an Englishman who emigrated to Australia in 1841 and befriended the local Boorong people.[2] Dawes Review 5 attempts to summarise all published research on Aboriginal astronomy, to 2016.
Some Aboriginal groups use the motions of celestial bodies for calendar purposes. Many attribute religious or mythological meanings to celestial bodies and phenomena. There is a diversity of astronomical traditions in Australia, each with its own particular expression of cosmology. However, there appear to be common themes and systems between the groups. Due to the long history of Australian Aboriginal astronomy, the Aboriginal peoples have been described as "world's first astronomers" on several occasions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_astronomy

They probably have similar status in their respective realms, though Foresty has interesting adventures, and Boaty just sits around waiting for some excitement.
I should think being an "autonomous underwater vehicle" is cool enough to make up for that.:biggrin:

Space-time, from no space and no time

From tiny things like atoms, to really big things like galaxies. Our best theory for describing such large-scale structures is general relativity, Albert Einstein's crowning achievement, which sets out how space, time and gravity work.
Is the emergence of this universe (and possibly others) a demonstration of Infinite potential?

No .

Just infinite physical , three dimensional reality . There is no potential without the physical reality .

Question; In physics, is the term Potential used as an unrealized mathematical value of undefined quality, and does not necessarily point to a specifc infinity or spatial size?
IOW, can "nothing" contain infinite potential to become "something"?

To your last statement , not physically , at all .

I found this example of "infinite potential" in a small box.....:)

Particle in a box
In quantum mechanics, the particle in a box model (also known as the infinite potential well or the infinite square well) describes a particle free to move in a small space surrounded by impenetrable barriers. ... Likewise, it can never have zero energy, meaning that the particle can never "sit still".

It will though eventually , be stilled , to your last statement . The particle hits these walls until it doesn't . The particle will be found at the center of the box .

Because a particle is stilled , in space , does not mean that it has no energy . Vibration , Magnetics , Rotation , etc , are all still present with the particle .

Last edited:
It will though eventually , be stilled , to your last statement . The particle hits these walls until it doesn't . The particle will be found at the center of the box .
Not according to QM.
In quantum mechanics, the particle in a box model (also known as the infinite potential well or the infinite square well) describes a particle free to move in a small space surrounded by impenetrable barriers. The model is mainly used as a hypothetical example to illustrate the differences between classical and quantum systems.
In classical systems, for example, a particle trapped inside a large box can move at any speed within the box and it is no more likely to be found at one position than another.
However, when the well becomes very narrow (on the scale of a few nanometers), quantum effects become important. The particle may only occupy certain positive energy levels. Likewise, it can never have zero energy, meaning that the particle can never "sit still". Additionally, it is more likely to be found at certain positions than at others, depending on its energy level. The particle may never be detected at certain positions, known as spatial nodes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box

Last edited:
River has a different model is all.
I wonder if we could go to another planet and find no GR or Quantum Mechanics but that their models work for them.

I wish we had an intergalactic forum..would that be cool?

There must be other worlds ..will they have GR or something totally different but just as useful?

What if they breed half their number for food for the other half?

Could there be a planet without species eating each other.

Will they have string?

Alex

Back