It's time for an end to the death penalty in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Seattle, Apr 29, 2015.

?

It's time for an end to the death penalty in the U.S.

1. I agree.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. I disagree.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

If you are worried about how much money we spend on prisoners how about locking up less of them?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

It takes years right now - and even those many years of appeals is not enough to ensure accuracy. We have many examples of this.

However, if you wish to reform the system and make it 100% accurate within an appeals process of two years at the most, go for it. After that give it 10 years to ensure that it really IS foolproof -and then I'd support capital punishment. Until then, I will vote for the cheaper of the two options - life in prison.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They should give priority to death sentences so that they can move carefully through the appeals process.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mathman Valued Senior Member

For better or worse the justice system, in death penalty cases, doesn't work that way. Typically there are many years between sentencing and execution.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That is why any death sentence should be given a priority over other cases so that they don't have to wait forever to carry out justice.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Which in my view is a good thing. If you are going to invoke the death penalty, you should be damn sure you are not executing an innocent person. The lives of many wrongly convicted men have been saved because of the extended timeframe between sentencing and execution? Republican Governor Ryan of Illinois implemented a moratorium on the death penalty in 2000 because too many men on death row were subsequently found to have been innocent.