I've never met a Christian

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Ted Grant II, Jun 2, 2017.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Uh, I hate to break this to you, but . . . pagans aren't atheists. (But you should still celebrate Christmas however you like.)

Michael 345 likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Agree

Can I be a pagan atheists please?

Christmas is a time to be thankful and every Christmas I give thanks to god I am a atheists

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ps

I notice you did not make a correction about the thieving christians

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ted Grant II Registered Senior Member

But why do Christians call themselves Christians if they completely ignore everything that Jesus said ?
    The Head of the Church of England and the Head of the Catholic Church live in Palaces.
    Jesus didn't.

He said that we must give up riches in this life in order to have riches in the next.
    The first shall be last and the last shall be first.
    It's in the book !

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I do not know much about Christians outside the USA. I do know about Christians in the USA.

<>

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You should ask them, instead of presuming what they think.

It's easy to judge someone if your preconceptions to speak for them instead of allowing them to speak for themselves.

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I am not building anything. I am talking about what I personally experience, what I read & hear, see on TV & find on the internet. If you research it without your bias, you should find the same. There are many debates between theists & atheists on these things. I have debated theists about this. Theists write books making these claims.

<>

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

It's been a while since I read that Wiki entry so I reread it. It mostly supports what I said.

<>

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

That's rather what I thought. And I suspect the Christians you hear about in the US will mostly be the highly vocal ones, who will be the most unreasonable. All part of the horrible "culture wars" you have over there, which seem to push people into taking sides and adopting extreme positions. I was appalled, when I lived in Houston TX for a bit, at how shrill and unpleasant the soi-disant committed Christians seemed to be.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

I don't know any Christians who "completely ignore everything that Jesus said." I also know very few Christians (a few, but not many) who believe _everything_ Jesus said.

The US Constitution supports slavery and says you have to return slaves back to where they came from. However, people can ignore that part and still support the US Constitution.

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I should say I do not assume US Christians reflect Christians everywhere. I should have phrased that better. Even so, the book says its entirely true & either one believes it or does not.

<>

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They are to Christians.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It does? Where? On the inside of the dust jacket?
    What does it say? "The contents of this book are true.*
    *including this statement**
    **and this one***
    and this one"

One does? So a Christian, who follows Christ, must believe the Bible - in its entirety - or they are utterly disqualified. That's your belief?

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness"[2 Tim 3:16]).

Jesus said that every minute detail of the Old Testament Law must be fulfilled,[Mt 5:18] indicating that every detail must be correct.[42]

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. — [Mt. 5:18 (KJV)].

Romans 3:2
    For in the first place the Jews[a] were entrusted with the oracles of God.

In 1 Thessalonians 2:13, the apostle Paul wrote to the church in Thessalonica"when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God."

Matthew 4:4 - But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

At a conference sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy (ICBI) and held in Chicago in October 1978, more than 200 evangelical leaders formulated the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy.
    Rogers, Jay Frank Schaeffer Will You Please Shut Up!, p. PA82, at Google Books "[...] the Roman Catholic Church's Second Vatican Council ratified a similar document in 1965 called Dei Verbum (The Word of God) in which the problems inherent in the approach of the historical critical method are addressed and the principle of inerrancy is affirmed.". - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Statement_on_Biblical_Inerrancy

The "doctrine of the inerrancy of scripture"[10] held by the Catholic Church, as expressed by the Second Vatican Council, is that "the books of Scripture must be acknowledged as teaching solidly, faithfully and without error that truth which God wanted put into sacred writings for the sake of salvation."- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_inerrancy

I can believe some of a history book or science book or autobiography without believing it all. You can believe some of a book I wrote without believing it all. I can believe some of the bible without believing all because I do not believe it is the word of an omnipotent god.
    If someone believes some of what they believe is the word of god, how do they decide which to believe. I have never heard of any claim that god tells them which parts to believe. That would be too absurd even for theists.
    I do not expect any human to be perfect in anything but there is far too much they do not follow while claiming to follow it. The ones who do go further than others are called fanatic extremists.
    I wish I had a dollar for every time this happened to me : "Do you believe the Bible?".
    Me - "I think some of it is true.". "OH NO! You can't believe part of the Bible!! You either believe it or you don't!!!".

<>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
  17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Do you believe in the US Constitution?

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I believe it is what we in the US should follow until the citizens vote to change that. Some of the original was changed by amendment & now those amendments are the constitution rather than the original parts they changed. I believe more of it should be changed.
    I do not believe the original or our current version are perfect or were written by infallible beings.

I believe the original should have criminalized slavery, should have made the separation of church & state more clear, should have made it clear that freedoms come with responsibilities & should have clearly stated that adults have the right to do whatever they want if it does not harm others.

<>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
  19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

And should have given women the right to vote.

<>

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

Fair enough. Many people feel the same way about the Bible - we should try to follow it, but the original is somewhat flawed.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why did God write a flawed Bible?

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

God didn't write it; people did (Paul, John, Luke et al.) So it's got flaws.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

God knew it would be the book that Christians follow, and he's omnipotent, so why did he let it happen?