Java,The revolution has just begun...

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Rick, Oct 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Valued Senior Member

Although hard to admit but Java is here to stay.when people have just started ignoring Java,i think Java is like heaven for new operating system architectures and Web projects(though a little tougher than ASP)...(I am sure this Porfiry's favorite thread

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)...

<b>where did it start?</b>
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Java was concieved by James Gosling,patrick Norton(i am sure half the guys know him here anyway),Chris Warth,Ed Frank and Mike Sheridan at Sun Microsystems.The language was first called <i>Oak</i> but was renamed Java later on.Between initial implementation of Oak and later,people have contributed heavily to the development of the Language.

The primary motivation for development of Java was not Internet!it was for creating software for consumer Electronic goods.

Advantages of Using Java:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.)<b><i>bytecode</b></i>
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is where Java's magic begins.the output of Java's code is not an executable code,rather it is called <i>Bytecode</i>.this bytecode just requires an interpreter which is in small terms JVM(also know as Java Virtual Machine.)

Translating the program into Bytecode solves a whole lot of problems.the program can be executed in variety of enviornments.the reason for this is straightforward

nly JVM needs to be implemented.

the interpreter you might thing might slow the whole stuff down as many in this forum pointed out,but this is not the case.the use of Bytecode makes it a whole lot faster than you can imagine.

2.)<b><i>Security</b></i>
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With a Java compatible browser,one can safely download the Applets etc without the fear of viral infections etc,primarily because Java confines the program to Java Execution enviornment and not allowing it to acces the other parts of the computer...

3.)<b><i>Portability</b></i>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Java ensures the portablility with the help

of various features avaliable.

4.)Robust.

5.)Multithreaded.

6.)Dynamic.

7)Purely object oriented.(Since you have to make a class to start the whole thing)...

i"d love to recieve inputs and corrections from various people if i am wrong,since i am learning phase of my life in case of java.

thanks for taking time.

bye!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mech_The_Muon No, not Moron you twit! Registered Senior Member

Java is also the main language we learn here for our first year courses at Purdue. I start with a little C++ next semester

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AgamemnoN Registered Senior Member

And is also the slowest language, and the applications ins java usually get so heavy that no computer can use it...

I have never seen an commercial (home-like) application java made... That's because even VB is faster than java...

I love oop, but java should be Just a philosophic language, people should learn it's concepts but never develop with it... Why to use java, if you have C++? not as portable as Java, but easy to port anyway...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Redrover Registered Senior Member

Because in 10 years, computers are going to be 10 thousand times faster and java's speed will not be of any consequence.

8. fox2wolf Registered Senior Member

unrelated

this is unrelated to the current discussion, but out of curiosity, has anyone ever browsed through the "astalavista" site? cool info with lots of freeware.

9. Delvinity Registered Member

Yes, java based designs are becoming more and more common. One of the main issues with it is the speed issue, however in due time, that will only become a thing of the past.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The thread already contains the main points I picked up on with JAVA. It can be slow, and in the day it was made the computer systems just couldn't cope with it.

There is a possibility that the future of JAVA is going to be better with high end machines, but it will also take higher bandwidth to be of any real use.

Most JAVA I've seen is usually applets used on CD's, rather than flowing through a webpage of the internet. (Although there is a few sites that have utilised JAVA the only one I can think of at present is www.runescape.com or www.jagex.com)

I've really got to download the JAVA3D server at some point for a project.

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

<i>"Why to use java, if you have C++? not as portable as Java, but easy to port anyway..."</i>

We usually have scripts in form of Perl.But the reason for using Java as thought was security.C++ is Platform dependent as one may point out.also,as an experienced C++ programmer i can tell you i can make some of the most annoying and chillingly Hostile applications and Viruses that can F**k the things up in few secs.you cant do that with Java(although to a some extent you can

)...

About slowness,yeah it is a lil slow,but this thing is not gonna go far i can assure you that.

12. AgamemnoN Registered Senior Member

Ow come on, look what are some of you saying...

That our computers should be faster do Run JAVA? no fuckin way... Java should be able to handle with our actual computers...

Today, because of the compilers we have, even C++ programs can't use 100% of the power that our processors have... today's compilers optimize our code for computers that was launched in 2000-2001, the jvm doenst even try to optimize the code...

The computers don't need to be faster, they ARE fast, java that can't handle with it... What will be the advantages of having a computer that can handle 1 trillion of instructions per second if java makes it looks like 1 million... Java needs to be improved, but the java lovers think that it is already perfect, and because of this java dont envolve...

Let me show you a case... i was looking for and UML editor, and i have found a lot of them java made... i got some, and runned and it was slow like hell (my computer was an AMD k6-II 550 Mhz), some months later i bought a new computer, now it is an Athlon XP 1.7 Ghz, look the diference, with all programs that i use i felt the diference in the speed, but all these java made programs keep running slow, my computer is at least 3 times faster and java keep sucking here...

I am not willing to wait for a processor capable of running java, i'll wait for java to be capable of using that we already have...

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

Dave...Dave...Dave

I call Thee from my heart

Any Inputs please...!!!!????

bye!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.