Jesus seems to hate some things. Do you? Is hate good?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, May 3, 2017.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Jesus seems to hate some things. Do you? Is hate good?

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Jesus seems to be saying that he is promoting division and war with a number of his sayings that pit father against son and brother against brother.

Jesus advocated division, war and hate; even as some think he preached to love our enemies.

Did Jesus hate and is hate thus a good character trait?

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not for me; hate is more your thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If he was real, he probably hated the Romans.
    Yes, of course. But it depends on what you hate.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Jesus had a major hate-on for anyone who wouldn't listen to him and accept his teachings. He actually suffered under a delusion of establishing a new kingdom on earth in which all the people who rejected him would be cast into fire and tortured.

“Just as the weeds are sorted out and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the world.41The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will remove from his Kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.42And the angels will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.43Then the righteous will shine like the sun in their Father’s Kingdom. Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!"---Matt 13

8. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I would bet that Trump also suffers under this delusion...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Magical Realist likes this.
  9. kx000 Valued Senior Member

It's not matter of as if hate, anger and all that are immoral, it's that are the unpleasant.

You vow to pacifism, for the obvious virtue, and the realization of the pleasure. The point is absolutely consistent happiness.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  10. karenmansker HSIRI Banned

Oh . . . . . . is this a political thread, now?

11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I can "hate" if someone causes me or a loved one harm... an i woud suffer from that hate for as long as i held on to it.!!!

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

While there are stories in the Gospels of Jesus becoming angry, I am unaware of anything indicating hatred of any person.

Hating "some things", I am less sure about, though offhand I can't think of any examples of that either.

13. wellwisher Banned Banned

It turned out that Christianity became a huge religion, that continues even today. Christianity has impacted the world over many centuries through many world empires. When you state the truth of the future, this is not the same as a delusion. With a vision of the future, one can start to get impatient and need to motive people in ways they can't alway understand in real time. The people of Jesus's time would become the catalysts of a long term change that would help shape the world.

The analogy is say you have a good sports team, who is made it to the playoffs. The members of the team are all happy with this accomplishment. You as the coach, know they have a chance to win it all. You also know the competition is going to be working hard and will not take any prisoners. You need to whip this team into top tier competitive shape, in a very short time, while they are resting on their laurels, for making it this far.

The coach is feeling the stress. There is so much work, but so little time. The future depends on you, with the immediate future going to be very tough, and stacked against you. Even the players don't see the needs for that future, but they need to.

14. birch Valued Senior Member

first, who knows what he said because others put words in his mouth and there is no way to verify. second, his standards were too high and threats weren't/aren't going to work because it's not true or there is no way to verify there is an afterlife or hell, at least as of now. if people, even christians really took it seriously, do you think they would do all this shit they do? doesn't the bible also say that jesus had a major hard-on for forgiveness or was it some other dude who decided to tack that on or exaggerate what he meant? like sin all you want and as long as you ask for forgiveness, you will go to heaven. really? who do you think wrote that? did jesus say that? no one really knows.

what makes the religion dangerous is because when it's all boiled down, it's a club of entitlement and then is construed to demonize those who are not a part of this club as being lesser, unworthy or deserving of hell/punishment. because you can do anything and still be forgiven because 'jesus' died on the cross for everyone's sin. islam is another flagrant example of a religious club too.

but without those higher ethical standards as a virtue, society would be even worse because at least it sets some type of worthy benchmark or example. that's for those who do take it seriously which not all those who profess to believe in god or are religious do.

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Jesus hated a fig tree out of season with no fruit.

<>

16. Ted Grant II Registered Senior Member

Jesus was not all good and he had some weird unpleasant ideas. He didn't like family life. All his disciples were just told to "down tools", leave their families and follow him. In Luke chapter 14, he says that you must hate your family if you want to follow him. He thought that as the world was about to end, when there will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth, that mothers shouldn't bother feeding their babies as they must be ready to meet him in the clouds. Anyone tending their crops will be overlooked. "Give no thought for the morrow" etc..