Judgement Day, of sorts

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tiassa, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Those who have had the, uh, privilege ... er, something like that ... yeah, privilege ....

Okay, so I'll start again. Those who have been so kind as to endure the greater portion of my posts might recall frequent references to the idea that I have no idea why I still have a job with this company. My attitude toward it has never been kindly expressed at Sciforums.

And today is the Judgement Day. Not for me; people still believe I'm valuable in this particular company, which may be indicative of things to come.

So in a little while I get to find out whether I (we) even have jobs anymore, and for how long. The question at hand is whether this division of the company is profitable at all.

But I have an exceptionally simple sound-check to go perform, and then it's showtime.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

Hope it is not Microsoft or Boeing!!!

Well, normally companies stay profitable if their upper management know their as* from a whole in the ground. Time and again, they do not have the real information to make any intelligent decisions.

You can tell, I design Decision Support Systems.

Good Luck.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Amen

I feel for you. In the 90's I went through 9 years of 10% layoffs. I laugh now when they cry about the overtime we have to do and what it's costing. Hey they were the bright ones to terminate people and increase the workload. Another laugh is the hoops they jump through when someone is sick and another out on vacation. ...and then someone has to go to school!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Let me tell ya...that 10% lay off....

99% companies (the upper management that is) do not have a clue about their products or services. These people think they paid their dues when they were at a lower level, so it is time to play...like golf or whatever...

So when the crunch time comes like net loss or drop in revenue, they do not have a clue what to do! So the old stand-by is - you guessed it - the 10% layoffs.

8. Shadow Existential Discontinuity Registered Senior Member

I'm with you on that one. A few years ago, the company I work for expanded and upgraded, spending millions on new computers and software. Then posted massive losses and stock plummeted. What did they do? You guessed it, layoffs. I got lucky but they cut everyones hours back. Then busy season arrived and those of us left had to pull all the slack - 60-70 hrs a week - and they started complaining about all the overtime. Duh.

Shadow

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Most people know that overtime is a sure sign that you don't have enough people for the work to be done. This is not brain surgery here.

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Layoffs can be a good thing. They give people an opportunity to move out of their rut and try something new. It's not such a bad thing, really.

<i>"And then there were none."</i>

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Indeed, Bowser

I know, tell me about it. I can't wait to get out of the rut of living in a rented house; the experience of sleeping in the backseat of a car is just what I need to get my attitude back on line.

I couldn't resist.

To the other, maybe a homeless period would help my outlook. But I'm in a unique position at my company: having no real financial commitments other than rent and the care of my cat, and living with people I know and trust, I have no need to stress. And since I generally work with service and support groups, what I do easily translates at another company. I have plenty of time to think about it, though, since my end of the operation isn't going out the door for at least 10 months (industry regulations prevent a graceful, quick departure from this part of the business).

I tend to think what's happening here is a good thing, despite the question mark now squatting in my future. The industry is one I occasionally lament as being criminal in the sense Spooner referred to when he wrote that the greatest criminals are those who use the permission of the law to benefit at another's detriment. It's generally my opinion that when heads roll at companies such as this, we deserve it by the very nature of what we do. Furthermore, as I watch the soulless come awake, as I see the dead eyes spark to life, I feel a thrill on behalf of the people screwed by our customer policies, and on behalf of every regulatory propriety suspended for backroom politics, campaign bribes, and every person ever swindled by this racket. So watching these scarred angels fall further brings a sense of irony: these allegedly intelligent people ran a division into the ground and now worry about their asses because they've lived on credit for a couple of years and are facing the idea of living without the three-thousand dollar leather couch

But I'm in for another 8-10 months at least, with incentives to stay until they officially lay me off; that's cool enough, as I'm now looking forward to witnessing the death of this regulatory beast.

Why is selling drugs illegal? I work in the insurance industry, and at least the druggie gets something for their money.

Heaven knows, we deserve this.

thanx,
    Tiassa

12. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Survive ...

Didn't expect to be agreeing with you on very much, Tiassa, but ...
    I do on that point.

Good luck

13. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Great new replacement for 'Free the Weed' ... HOWARDSTERN!

Except ... it brings to mind something a wise old man (that goes really far back) once told me: "You can only be betrayed by someone you trust."