Jupiter Revealed:

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, May 3, 2020.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yesterday while in isolation and sucking on a can of VB, I just happened to catch a great documentary entitled "Jupiter Revealed". It is mainly on the travels and exploits of the Juno space craft, and reveals the methodologies and data that this probe has amazingly verified...The "larger then Earth size core"... The liquid metallic Hydrogen surrounds, down into Jupiter's atmosphere...The source of its tremendously extended and powerful magnetic fields and the Earth like auroras seen at the poles.

The video is about an hour long, but if you can get it through one of the streaming services, then that's obviously far far better.
    Anyway here is the video.....
    http://www.documentarymania.com/player.php?title=Jupiter Revealed

Jupiter Revealed
    This documentary journeys with the scientists into the heart of a giant. Juno is the Nasa mission designed to peer through Jupiter's swirling clouds and reveal the wonders within. By projecting a 70-foot-wide, life-size Juno on a Houston rooftop, Scott Bolton, head of Juno, shows us how its fragile electronics are encased in 200kg of titanium. As Scott puts it, 'we had to build an armoured tank to go there.' Professor Andrew Ingersoll, Juno's space weatherman, reveals they have seen lightning inside Jupiter, perhaps a thousand times more powerful than Earth's lightning. This might be evidence for huge quantities of water inside Jupiter.
    Under the extreme conditions of Jupiter thousands of miles under the surface, hydrogen becomes a liquid metal. Juno is finding out how much liquid metallic hydrogen is inside Jupiter, and scientists hope to better understand how this flowing metal produces the most powerful aurora in the Solar System. But what is at Jupiter's heart? In Nice, Prof Tristan Guillot explains how Juno uses gravity to map the planet's centre. This can take scientists back to the earliest days of the solar system, because Jupiter is the oldest planet and it should contain clues to its own creation. By chalking out an outline of the Jupiter, Tristan reveals there is a huge rocky core - perhaps ten times the mass of Earth.

sculptor and Xelasnave.1947 like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I had to pause it and am looking forward to watching the rest of it when I get back from a little trip I am about to set out upon.
    Thanks again Paddo I for one greatly appreciate the interesting stuff you put up.
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Hi Alex...It is a very educational video, particularly how they initiated the experiment, with lasers, on Earth, re the Hydrogen turning metallic at a certain depth and pressure.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Oh, and I forgot, thanks for your appreciation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

liquid metallic hydrogen
    wow

great fun
    thanx