Just 90 companies are to blame for most climate change

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Plazma Inferno!, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Don't sweat it; typical safety factor on air conditioning unit sizing is like 20-30% so most of us should be good to go already!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Most of who?

The grid that powers them has no such margin.

Besides, that won't do it. The temp/humidity boost that wipes out a 25% overcapacity factor is well within the predicted range of heat wave peaks associated with one or two degree C boosts in global average temp.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

China I think sees going green as a matter of security to reduce its dependence on oil.
    Also it has issues of severe air polution.
    Alex

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Right - and it's taking action to reduce that pollution, although they have a long way to go.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I work in the oil industry, but I do not consider my work in anyway responsible for global warming. (If anything, by delivering efficiencies of operation I may be partially mitigating it.)

I do consider that my two car family, poorly insulated home, liking for foodstuffs transported from distant locations and countries, etc. are very much responsible for global warming. That and insufficient political activity on my part to change matters.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Your work may not be; your industry certainly is.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The industry would not exist if people like me (and perhaps like you) were not using its produce. It may be convenient/satisfying/convincing to blame anonymous corporations for our problems, but as Pogo said "We have seen the enemy and he is us".

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Your industry left us no practical alternatives. On purpose. We are but pawns in the oil-industrial complex.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

And people would not be using its product if the companies did not produce it. There's plenty of blame to go around. That's why most solutions take into account both end-users and producers.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's a separate issue from regulation and amelioration.

The goal is to find the best bang for the buck in reducing the CO2 boost, and dealing with the consequences of the boost already accomplished or unavoidable. If we can get significant benefits at moderate cost by dealing with only 90 companies, that is hopeful news - that sounds feasible.

14. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

You're talking fantasy conspiracy theory: the oil industry makes oil products, not cars.

15. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

If your mom had balls, she'd be your dad. Again: fantasy. In order to reduce oil usage without destroying the economy, the companies that need to be targeted are not oil companies, they are car companies -- which is why that's how it is being approached!

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Did I somehow exclude car companies from attention?

My apologies - please feel free to regulate car companies to reduce worldwide CO2 boosting, with my blessing.

17. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Yes:
    I don't know if other countries do it to, but we already do in the USA.

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

While I agree, you then say:
    And that is blame. "These 90 companies do most of the carbon releases. They are to blame; let's go after them!" That ignores the physicality of the issue; it is more effective (for example) to spend money on solar incentives and smart grid/infrastructure upgrades than spending money on trying to penalize power companies for emitting carbon.

Russ_Watters likes this.
  19. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I have been watching the car races.

V8 supercars only one of countless forms of car racing.

Could we work out the carbon foot print of car racing, including the fuel etc expended by the audience to turn up to watch.

The fuel, the tires, the energy consumped it no doubt huge.
    And for why?

It is only one example of the futility and stupidity of humans indulging in wasteful consumption of energy and finite resources.

There seems an unhealthy preoccupation with games and gluttony that perhaps should be addressed before we point the finger at the corporations who simply profit by caterring to these bizarre attributes of humans.

Should food not be for nourishment rather than an adventure in taste? Should clothes not be to keep our bodies warm rather than some sort of artistic indulgence, should our cars not be for transport rather than toys for folk who think driving fast somehow makes them worthy of respect.

I wont be tiresome and continue to out unjustifiable indulgence but if the indulgence continues and is held up as what all humans want from their lives.. success.. . I ask how do you manage a world where "success " extends to all humans.

Well of course it wont so then may we ask why are the gluttons of consumption being tollerated.
    Unfortunately the market economy can only make the problem worse.

No company will hold a board meeting to figure how they will sell less coal, less oil, less electricity... I can not figure out why folk cant see much of the problem turns upon such a simple fact.

And dont get me onto aircraft particularly the proliferation of private jets.

Think of this... Say the ocean rises and all food needs to be grown in glass houses cooled with solar power will there be less v 12 sports cars being produced then as compared to now?

Will there be fewer private jets.

Will the gluttonous waste be less than now?

Alex

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Still not seeing an exclusion of anybody in that quote. But whatever -
    Not on the evidence. Roads full of SUVs in rush hour traffic jams and huge pickup trucks getting half the gas mileage (and with no more actual working capacity) of a 3/4 ton long bed Toyota I bought in 1984, argue that the regulation of cars in the US has been ridiculously inadequate. And that's just in the US.

But I'm not "blaming" - I'm just happy to see a small number of entities whose regulation promises to yield significant progress. I don't care whose fault it is, I want to make efficient, rapid progress in fixing it.
    Really? Seems like with 90 companies to attend to we might be able to spend less regulatory and oversight money than in dealing with hundreds of thousands of end user special circumstances. But I promise: if I see those solar incentives and infrastructure upgrades in effect and reducing CO2 boosting at the scale of 2/3 of those 90 companies, I will set aside that effort.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

No. If history is any guide, there will be more of them - but they will be vastly more efficient. (And that V12 will have twice the torque, but that torque will come from electric motors.)

22. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes the thirst for better toys will not abate.

And we can all be proud of the achievement that we can make such sophisticated toys but I say we should not be proud of our failure to recognise the detrimental love of toys and the waste of finite resources by a select few who act and consume like spoilt children.
    Some pigs stand with all four feet in the trough they are the pigs who cause the others to be undernourished is the solution to get a bigger trough?

Alex

23. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

The Average British Dickhead is meeting the challenge of reducing energy consumption by buying bigger cars...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ith-big-cars-sees-car-park-scrapes-up-by-a-t/