Just a few hypotheticals.

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by data2.0, Jun 3, 2013.

1. data2.0 Registered Senior Member

What if I were to say, construct a small metal reactor, put an electrical system made of tungsten inside of it to heat it up to a few hundred degrees Celsius. Before heating it putting some nickel powder and maybe some sodium in it and then after starting the heating process, adding some water to it. What are the most likely results?

Also, what if instead of sodium I use some lithium aluminium hydride?

Also, what if I filled the chamber with deuterium gas?

Do any of these result in anything but some pyrotechnics and possible severe injuries?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arauca Banned Banned

Your lithium aluminum hydride , will plate out aluminum on your container when you heat < I believe above 150 C

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Sodium metal reacts fairly violently on contact with water, at room temperature. If you try this at high temp, you risk ending up in hospital. Nickel adsorbs hydrogen and presumably deuterium as well. But it sounds as if you are trying to reproduce Rossi's e-catalyser. Good luck with that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. data2.0 Registered Senior Member

But the lithium aluminum hydride doesn't react more violently than sodium?

I would take extensive safety precautions of course.
    I am not trying to recreate the e-cat, I just heard that 15 people have achieved fusion under the age of 18. I would not mind becoming the sixteenth. I mean, I know you can do fusion with just the deuterium gas but that would be boring. I want to try something else. Any chance it would work or should I look into other fusion possibilities?

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

That is also dangerous:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_aluminium_hydride

It will be vital to keep all traces of water away from any of these things. I recommend you to do some reading about the proposed reagents, to enable you to assess the hazards.

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Since no one has ever been able to attain a sustained fusion reaction - not really sure what you are talking about here...

10. data2.0 Registered Senior Member

I know of their violent reactions to water, even moisture in the air. That is just why I am interested in them. Especially the LAH because it forms H2 gas. Am I at severe risk if I keep them away from water until they are in the reactor and I decide to add water?

I'm not really looking for sustained fusion obviously.

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I don't know exactly what you intend to do and decline to get involved in offering safety advice. But it sounds very risky to me, that's all.

12. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Well lets put it this way, 15 people have NOT acheived fusion under the age of 18, that is a load of crap. These reactive materials will create a chemical reactions not a nuclear reactions. You would be wasting your time at best and at worst trying to handle these materials without adequate technical and safety training would set you up for tragedy.