Just a question I'll probably regret

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tiassa, Dec 31, 1999.

1. Lori Registered Senior Member

Oh! I just had to know is all.

------------------
    "Go Jesus, go! Go Jesus, go!"

I finally get to be the cheerleader that I always wanted to be but could not, as I was not a fluff chick.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Searcher,Lori,
    happy new year to ya.
    Today I feel like an eiderdown, therefore I am one?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Just remember, it's eiderdown or up.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Y'know, Oxygen...2/3rds of a pun is P.U.

Tab' -

About the prayers/wishes working depending on the strenght of your belief...you are dead !BANG! on the head of that nail!! Positive thoughts create positive effects, negative thoughts create negative effects - tangible and intangible. BANG! I couldn't have said it better myself!

This is also my belief, almost exactly just as you stated it. And, in anticipation of Flash's question, this is my "own" theory, nobody taught me this either.

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Hiya Skye',

your quote:
    -Positive thoughts create positive effects, negative thoughts create negative effects - tangible and intangible.-

And the most positive of these is love. If we could all just learn to love. Both ourselves and each other, this would be such a far better world.
    Have you tried it recently? I personally find it pretty hard to forgive and love again the ones who hurt me, though I do but after a long time.
    I am realising the importance of having a symbol or focus to help channel this love energy. I had it as a Christian but then came the disillussionment of course so I lost my love focus.
    Today at 47 I'm so cynical and weary that there's no way I can put so much faith into any kind of 'ready canned' panacea as exists in the world.
    I'm rambling, I'm tired I'm gonna crash..later!

9. Lori Registered Senior Member

Aw. Tab turned Christian and lost his mojo.

I'm teasing you, sorry. Why did you lose this love focus? Just curious.

BTW Skye, you're talking about spiritual laws that are spoken of just the same in the Bible.

------------------

I finally get to be the cheerleader that I always wanted to be but could not, as I was not a fluff chick.

10. truestory Registered Senior Member

tab'

I am truly sorry that you have lost the focus of love.

You say that you were a Christian. I am wondering, however, if you have given a one-on-one relationship with Jesus Christ a chance without "interference" from others?

11. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Lori,
    the love focus was Jesus! but there were other factors involved which were peculiar to the time and were helping to form my state of mind.

Truestory,
    thanks, you know I'm constantly aware of the fact that I can jump on the train any time I like, but I'm enjoying my slow amble, gazing lazily around me and enjoying the fresh air!

12. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Even if I am what I am, I still feel that I'm being guided by a spirit of kindness and protection and I rely greatly on my intuition
    but I do not worship/pray to/believe in any Diety or religion and my position is of denouncing and criticising the accuracy and true intention of the bible, ministers, priests and 'Christians' (the types Jesus would call 'fools').

What or who do you think is guiding de riddim bway then, you good folks?

13. Flash Registered Senior Member

Tab,
    Better watch what you say my friend...You'll have TS on your butt next LOL

14. Lori Registered Senior Member

What the hell is that supposed to mean Tab? You don't move an eyelash without God's say-so if that's what you're asking. Doesn't sound like you're following anyone's Word or teachings to me except for your own? Free will right? Sooo, I still don't understand why you lost your mojo with Jesus?

------------------

15. truestory Registered Senior Member

tab'

Your position is to "criticize" the "true" intention of the Bible? Does that mean that you disagree with the "true" intention of the Bible. Or, does that mean that you believe that the true intention of the Bible is something different than what you were taught? If so, what were you taught and what is your belief about the true intention of the Bible?

Does your position include the denunciation and criticism of God/Jesus Christ?

Rather than denoucing and criticizing others for the purpose of telling others what you "don't" believe in, wouldn't a more positive approach be to profess what you do believe in and why? That is, if you believe in anything, even if it is yourself?

16. truestory Registered Senior Member

tab'

What is this? Mood swings?

[This message has been edited by truestory (edited January 04, 2000).]

17. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Lori -

Yes, I believe these 'spiritual laws' are universal. I'm not surprised they appear in the bible as well. I posted something along those lines elsewhere, I can't remember where, though.

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Wow ... lots goin' on here. But I don't quite regret the question yet.

Lori: "I see it as a rebellion to Christianity. It wouldn't exist without it." (12/30)

I wanted to mention that you're absolutely right here. In fact, LaVey, in his Nine Statements, includes the idea that without Satan, there would be no cause for the Christian church (what is dark without light?). LaVey refers to Satan as "keeping the Church in business."

Tab:

Unfortunately I cannot enlighten much as to the sex orgies; but I can say this about the idea of a massive substance and sex orgy to honor the Dark One--it requires a set of assumptions equal in many ways to a leap of faith to justify.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law," wrote Crowley. This idea has become popular in the 20th century, largely because the public branded Crowley as Satan himself. This is due to a misonception, as his Christian fundamentalist mother hated him with a truly inspired passion, referring to him in passing as "The Beast," and in person as "Little 666." But Crowley's hedonist leanings played well among occultists, sounding much like the Rede itself.

Unfortunately, most Christians who have regarded "Do what thou wilt" at all have misinterpreted it, and therefore misrepresent it in their scorn. Certainly, there is an anarchic tinge to it, except that one must consider beyond the moment. Do what thou wilt: Sure, I could sleep with her because it would make me feel good. Does this hurt me? Well, depends on what we consider. Pregnancy--bad. Disease--bad. Orgasm--good. Contact--good. Interpersonal strife--very bad. That egocentric regard for the idea is what permeates Satanism ... LaVey, on multiple occasions, likened Satanism to spiritual capitalism, a constant balance of credit and debit orbiting one's happiness.

This is only in slight opposition to the Wiccan Rede, which would ask "Does this hurt me?" and include in itself the considerations of what effects hurting the other person will bear.

Or was this more than we needed about sex orgies?

True--

Met Him, too. Cool guy, just a little obsessive. Of course, that was before the 90's, the marketing decade. So there might have been some interesting image changes, but that's the nice thing about a flexible, adaptive religion. Gives you space to work things out for yourself, since one set of answers simply doesn't work in all situations.

Thank you all for contributing to this. I'll be honest, what I'm chasing here is something I'm prone to doing from time to time.

Thus far, I have just enough from the responses to ask the next question (I hope ...).

* "Is there a double-standard taking place here, that we insist that others not define our spirituality, yet we're willing to believe our own prejudices against the ultimate cultural stereotype--Satanism?"

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------
    The Universe is the Practical Joke of the General at the Expense of the Particular .... (Perdurabo; The Book of Lies)

19. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Tiassa,

The way I see it, the Satanic motto is more than just slightly different from the Rede - it is completely lacking the extremely important concept of not causing harm to others. It's kind of like removing that tiny little 3-letter word "not" from wherever it appears in the 10 commandments, and then saying that the new commandments are almost just like the old ones.

As for the question, "Is there a double-standard taking place here, that we insist that others not define our spirituality, yet we're willing to believe our own prejudices against the ultimate cultural stereotype--Satanism?" - although I can't speak for anyone else, in general I have no problem with anything that doesn't cause harm to another. This is not defining anyone's spirituality - we must have the security of knowing that we live in a world where people aren't allowed to go around hurting others.

This isn't just a cultural stereotype for me - remember those foster kids? You might say that Christians and Pagans and Hindus, and whathaveyou, are not immune to going insane and hurting a child or someone else, and that is true. However, those religions do not deliberately make it part of their rituals - that's what really sickens me, and that's what I can't get past.

I'm glad if you never did any of those things, or even considered doing them - but there are those out there who do, and from what little I know about the Satanic philosophy - it isn't prohibited in any way.

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

20. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

TS,

I think the true intention of the bible and of all religions is to serve at least two purposes. One is to give people ( of a society )a spiritual focus, a set of moral values and a common belief system, things which have always been desirable by human societies and by most individuals.Religion is a formidable National panacea indeed.

I must state here, my belief that original religions, evolved from fragmented ideas and philosophies which have been around for millenia. And they formed in accordance with the prevailing culture, weaving in all kinds of traditions and practices that were inherited from their distant ancestors.
    Religions always evolve and splinter to accomodate the different cultures that adopt them, who themselves are evolving and splintering all the time.
    Therefore, no religion can be classified as wholly accurate or absolute truth, simply because of it's changeable nature, borrowed beliefs and obscure roots, which we know were necessitated and invented by humans eternal quest for meaning.

Another purpose of religion is that because societies are willing to submit to it. It has always been exploited by the corrupt/power hungry/insane (any order) rulers of this world,( with the aid of religious leaders and workers), to assume power and control over the people of their own society and to wreak havoc, death and destruction onto others, all in the name of 'God'.

I could never denounce Jesus, I praise what Jesus stood for(rebellion against spiritually oppressive forces and a radical new philosophy or way based on spiritually deep love) and I think what he meant, was for us to have a Jesus Christ like state of mind.

I cannot believe that he was 'the son of God', simply because that whole premise is based on the Christian assumption of fulfilled prophecy. The Jews, whose religion it was that the prophecies came from, don't believe that Jesus was their promised Messiah, let alone people who are not satisfied with simple answers that rest on faith in a selectively (amateurishly badly) edited and interpreted book.
    On top of that I don't believe in Judaism, so how can I believe in the same (christian/Jewish) God?
    It's ironic that the Christians seemed to hijack Judaism, turning it on it's head, using it as a basis while rejecting it at the same time and virtually inventing a brand new religion which they then have the gall to shout is the only true faith one should have.

I wouldn't mind so much if the official representatives of Christianity (priests, ministers, 'celebrity' Christians) were paragons of virtue and truly Christ-like (although that's the impression they'd like to think they're giving), but they're not are they?
    All you see (don't look too hard) is greed, corruption and exploitation being practised by these hypocrytes.

So there you have it, to me, too much sucks.