just bought a telescope

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by freejack, Jun 24, 2001.

1. freejack Registered Member

all my life I wanted to own one.now i have one and i don` know what to do with it i know the ski is up but how do i go about finding what i want i need help dose anyone know of a good book

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

freejack

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. [f] Registered Senior Member

Burnham's Celetial Handbook
    An Observer's Guide to the Universe

ISBN 0-486-24063-0

Dover Publications INC.
    New York

3 fat books.....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

The easy way...

Hi freejack,

Well, I had the same problem when I borrowed a telescope from a friend a few years ago (which reminds me - I should return it someday

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

). What I used to do back then is just "look" for objects to watch.

For example, you can easily spot some planets on sight (eg. Jupiter, Saturn, Mars or Venus) and then look for them through your scope (I assume you already checked out the moon, that one is not that hard to find). I used to start with the smallest magnification possible, then move the telescope to the right position (by manually adjusting it - let me remind you that the telescope I used wasn't exactly top-end technology). Once you spot the planet you are looking for - and believe me, they are not hard to miss, they are very bright and quite large, even on the cheaper telescopes (the one I used) - you can move to higher magnification levels to get a better sight.

Ofcourse what you will see depends on the amount of lightpolution. I live in Belgium (which is probably the second brightest place in Europe at night) so my views are restricted to some planets. I hope you found a good spot with almost no lightpolution to enhance the viewing pleasure.

Anyway, have fun,

Crisp

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Well i am a complete newbie to astronomy. i went on a vacation with my mom and brother to montana for 3 weeks. Before the vacation i knew nothing. After the vacation I Knew Tons about astronomy all from one book. National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Night Sky . Absolutley wonderful! The star charts are easy to follow and the best ones i have seen. Also there are astrophotographs. The first 100 oages are about galaxies, stars, their formation, magnitude, ect. A+++++ Heh, i am only 14 am I am working towards a three thousand dollar telescope! have Fun

_________
    "The Cosmos Is All That Is Or Ever Was Or Ever Will Be"Carl Sagan

8. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

Advice wanted

I am one of those astronomy- and skywatch-freaks.
    And I want to get myself a telescope to, but I only have one doubt, maybe you can help me out...

I don't know if it makes any sense to watch through a telescope from my back garden;
    I live in the netherlands (much light-pollution offcourse) and I live in a town, let's say about 90.000 inhabitants (just to indicate the size of my home town).
    Do you think I can see something from my back garden, and can I have fun from my telescope in such an observation environment????

Pls help me out, I am doing a vacation job at the moment ( I am 17) and I don't know exactly what I am gonna do with the money, maybe a telescope......

THX anyway

9. Caronte Registered Member

Re: Advice wanted

10. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

final question:

First I want to thank everyone who reacted at my post.
    I decided to actually buy a scope, and I know what type I am going to buy:

A celestron 4" refractor on equatorial mount.

But the problem is that the shop where I'll buy it did me an offer:
    I can get a combination of the mount and tripod from the equatorial one, but the tube from the altazimuth one.
    So in fact it is exactly the same scope, only it isn't the original combination.
    I can get this with 120,- US dolars reduction.
    Should I do this? Or is there really a difference in tube????

Here you can see the scopes:
    Altazimuth:
    http://www.astronomics.com/main/pro...ron.asp&vid=4&product_type_id=1&sku=C102A&op=
    Equatorial:
    http://www.astronomics.com/main/pro...on.asp&vid=4&product_type_id=1&sku=C102HD&op=

Thx, KneD.

11. rich68 Registered Senior Member

kned

kned

well 1st thing is 1st,i hope u have fun with your new scope,but just to let you know,im debating in buying my next scope,which is the nepstar11gps,cost £3500pounds!!its well worth thinking about upgrading when you feel that you have exhausted your scope power,this package involves gps navigation,50,000 images on cd rom,which all comes with tracking device,connected to your pc...and all this weighs less then 25lbs,shes a beauty!! i live in england,and light pollution is terrible,but if you live here,best location to go is cornwall...in the winter,i go every year...and can say this has to be the spot for perfect observation.try out planetary explorations..auther Dr Donald k.Yeomans.have fun

12. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

thx, rich68.

I bought my scope today, (the 'complete' one, see 2 posts up), and I must say I love it.
    Though I haven't seen much so far, it's really cloudy today(actually it's almost 3:00 in the morning and I am still waiting for a clear sky).
    I did see something this afternoon while practicing and 'installing' my scope. And I really was impressed by his performance.

And.......later on this year I will go to texel (that's a dutch island) where there is much less light pollution then anywhere else in the netherlands.

So, I am gonna get some sleep, and hope for a dark clear sky tomorrow.