Justifying Matter or Part 2 of ...

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by m0rl0ck, Oct 22, 2002.

1. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

who needs psychedelics when theres philosophy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So I was thinking that if conciousness is a fundemental property of the system (universe) then the idea of matter as existing "out there" independent of conciousness would have to be reconsidered. If consiousness is a fundemental property like gravity, matter, space etc then nothing could happen or exist anywhere in the system without being touched by it. Surfing, looking for source material to clarify my own thinking, I found William James "Essays in Radical Empiricism. Id be interested to know what you all think of it, heres an excerpt:

"If the reader will take his own experiences, he will see what I mean. Let him begin with a perceptual experience, the 'presentation,' so called, of a physical object, his actual field of vision, the room he sits in, with the book he is reading as its centre; and let him for the present treat this complex object in the commonsense way as being 'really' what it seems to be, namely, a collection of physical things cut out from an environing world of other physical things with which these physical things have actual or potential relations. Now at the same time it is just those self-same things which his mind, as we say, perceives; and the whole philosophy of perception from Democritus's time downwards has been just one long wrangle over the paradox that what is evidently one reality should be in two places at once, both in outer space and in a person's mind. 'Represent-

(12) -ative' theories of perception avoid the logical paradox, but on the other hand they violate the reader's sense of life, which knows no intervening mental image but seems to see the room and the book immediately just as they physically exist.

The puzzle of how the one identical room can be in two places is at bottom just the puzzle of how one identical point can be on two lines. It can, if it be situated at their intersection; and similarly, if the 'pure experience' of the room were a place of intersection of two processes, which connected it with different groups of associates respectively, it could be counted twice over, as belonging to either group, and spoken of loosely as existing in two places, although it would remain all the time a numerically single thing.

Well, the experience is a member of diverse processes that can be followed away from it along entirely different lines. The one self-identical thing has so many relations to the rest of experience that you can take it in disparate systems of association, and treat it as

(13) belonging with opposite contexts.[8] In one of these contexts it is your 'field of consciousness'; in another it is 'the room in which you sit,' and it enters both contexts in its wholeness, giving no pretext for being said to attach itself to consciousness by one of its parts or aspects, and to outer reality by another. What are the two processes, now, into which the room-experience simultaneously enters in this way? "

http://spartan.ac.brocku.ca/~lward/james/James_1912/James_1912_01.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.