keyboard lock

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by mathman, Jan 12, 2016.

1. mathman Valued Senior Member

Occasionally my keyboard locks (can't type anything). The only escape I have found is a Windows restart (mouse still works). Any ideas as to what causes it and how to unlock other than by restart?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Check for "Sticking/Stuck" key...
    Check for "Litter/Crumbs/Detritus" under or between keys...
    If wired keyboard : repeatedly unplug then replug USB or PS/2 jack = cleans contacts...

If wireless : repeatedly unplug then replug USB or PS/2 Wireless Receiver jack = again, cleans contacts...
    ; Check/Replace batteries in keyboard...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

Just to clarify, the keys work perfectly fine, but in these instances nothing shows up on the screen.

I doubt if it is any of your possibilities. The first two are easily ruled out since restart doesn't clean the keyboard. Also (as I previously noted) the keys move perfectly fine, they just don't do anything. The computer is a notebook, so keyboard and computer are of one piece.

The problem is rare (and fixed by restart) occurring only while typing. My guess is that I am hitting some key or combination of keys causing the keyboard to screen communication to fail.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Just get a new one, they are disposable. They have nice backlighted ones.

8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Sorry that I was not able to help in any way...I was not aware that it was a notebook.