Keys to Success

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by R1D2, Aug 30, 2012.

1. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

IMO I feel there are 5 keys to success.
    In no particular order they are:

1 math of all types
    2 language, knowledge of written an spoken
    3 Family
    4 Heart IE: love, determination
    5 Radical thinking ie: think different. Like build something that ain't been done.

What's your thoughts an views?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Sucess for what? There's all kinds of things that we can become a success at but which are you referring to?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Buddah12, an anyone else if you become good at all 5 keys you would be successful. As in having finances, an good job choices. I am under the assumption that if you can accomplish these 5. You will be able to do say carpentry, architecture, cook, the possibilities stemming from those "5 keys" to me. Are endless. It make me wish I would have had a good base family as well as. Tried harder at some things. An thought of this sooner. IMO of course.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

As an example auto mechanics very rarely need or use math when they repair any vehicles, they need mechanical know how which comes from on the job training, not from books most of the time. I've known some very skilled auto mechanics that flunked out of high school but now own their own garages. Those mechanics don't want to build a better car only repair what is out their already,some might want to do so but they are few and far between. I also know a few carpenters who have no college but are skilled from working their trade until they learned it very well which again didn't take many books or allot of math but just understanding how things are built by actually building them.

8. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

They would need to use language, both written an spoken. In there field and with costumer's. Heart, a determination to do the job, love of there profession kinda went hand in hand. And just saying have you any idea how hard it would be to not have some math skills. An do those jobs, I'm not by no means saying you are not smart. You need to in carpentry. Learn fractions, how to read a tape measure properly, how to figure up angles, determine depth an heights. Math is huge in carpentry. You may learn it on the job but you need math. Family there's or the one they build it for. They are in the back of there mind for safety is a factor. You can include some radical thinking there. Like a better building idea. Look at farm houses that were built over time from say 1860 - now big difference in thinking on how they are built. Some houses built in the 20's had newspaper insulation. Some radical thinkers thought of the dangers an made it better an safer.
    Mechanics, they likewise need math. You try not knowing the sizes of a wrench kit an get the next size right. The proper timing of the engine. Mathematics. The right belt sizes, mathematics. Change a motor electrical comes into play. Volts, fuses, number of wires, mathematics, some even do exhaust, pipe sizes, bends, welding, it involves math. True you could add skill as a 6th but minor key. Some mechanics have there tricks how to do there jobs faster an better. Some radical thinking has been involved. You don't believe me? Ok we have had steam engines, electric engines an so forth. Look at the history of motors.

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

For the sake of discussion, I choose to define 'success' as staying alive.

Toward that end, it is essential to understand the laws of nature.

For humans, it is also incumbent to understand human nature, specifically one's own.

Depending upon where (and when) one lives, the skills required may be quite different than the one's you list in the OP.

I have worked with many people who cannot read, write or do arithmetic, yet they had plenty of street savvy and bush skills and could keep you alive in a hostile environment with an absolute minimum of man made gear because they knew how to work with the resources at hand.

Just saying...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I don't disagree. I say they are survivalists. But out of the woods, into the world of business, economics, trade, an such to be good and successful at something you have to have a touch of all of the listed.

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

So your 'keys to success' are in relation to the 'world of business, economics, trade an such?'

What is lacking in your OP is how you are defining 'success'.

There is a world of difference between living and just earning a living, IMO.

I define myself as highly successful because I am still healthy after much endured and most of the things I do bring me some measure of pleasure, even my work.

Someone else, looking at my 'net worth' and my 'potential' might consider me an underachiever.

12. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I judge my success by the friends I have and the life I lead.

13. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I do state Mrs S here that in having finances, an good job choices. An I tried to make sure in the opening these are my opinions. Any job can include the keys I've listed just as I said you may add a sixth key. Some skill, though minor. Skill comes after you have the other "keys".

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You've omitted some VERY important things! Two of them are intelligence and ambition - especially the latter. Without ambition an individual will accomplish practically nothing.

15. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Love, perfection, pacifism, faith, hope, science, knowledge, etc.

16. SharonCrawford Registered Member

Knowledge..

17. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Miss Sharon welcome to sciforums.

And what specific knowledge is most needed?

IMO Math, "Language". Maybe I should add science in all forms.

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

In that case, everyone is ultimately profoundly unsuccessful.

What if you were to 'stay alive' for all eternity in agonizing pain?

Would that be success?

19. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Warren Buffet says that intelligence, ethics and physical energy are the most important professional qualities...and I tend to agree.

Higher math like algebra and calculus is required by maybe only ONE in a thousand people.

20. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

'Success' means different things to different people and cultures. Not everyone wishes to become a slave to much chattel or be sovereign over others.

I see it differently. Everyone is profoundly successful for as long as they are capable of maintaining life.

That is an illogical surmise based on the evidence of the average life expectancy of our species.

Were one to be in such agonizing pain that they had no desire to continue their life, then the choice and action to end their life could logically be seen as a successful conclusion to their tenure of existence.

IMO, yes. To have continued one's life and made the choice when it became unbearable should be the purvey of each individual. The problem becomes one of ethics and interactions.

Many who lack in experience or who may be of less tenuous nature might choose this path prematurely. It happens every day. Suicide.

While there is life, there is hope, and hope has ever inspired our species through it's darkest hours. Hence I posit that if you are alive, you are still in the running, capable of pursuing any and all options that may be available to you .

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The BeeGees encapsulated your approach to life in a song...

Life goin nowhere
    Somebody help me
    Been kicked around
    Since I was born
    But I'm stayin alive.

Got the wings of heaven on my shoes
    I'm a dancing man and I just cant lose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vj092UgKwQ

The assumption here is that life is successful as long as it exists...regardless of its ethics, meaninglessness, trials and tribulations.

Even the most prolific mass murderers would be categorized as 'successful' under this definition, as long as they survived to a ripe old age.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  22. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Objectively, this is so. The benchmark of success for all species is survival. Our species has evolved a rather more complicated and subjective set of values than some others, perhaps. Individuals who take the lives of others, save for some very specific reasons, we do not condone, yet collectively we 'murder' all the time and we call this 'war' and we are very good at justifying this act of killing by and on behalf of a collective.

Go far enough up the back-trail and we are all descended from murderers.

I have broadened the premise of the OP in defining 'success'.

As a species, human beings have been successful by my definition.

Individually and collectively, 'staying alive' is what the experience is all about. From the OP, I would place determination first, propagation (family) second, and thinking differently than the other (species) third. Language and math came later, I would suggest.

Anyways, I have been awake now for almost 35 hours so I think I shall call it a day. Night shift again in 8 hours.

(Endurance is one of my personal keys to success.

)

23. Neverfly Banned Banned

To be a carpenter- You better know some trigonometry bare minimum. Pure and simple, you need math. To say a carpenter doesn't use or need math is like saying a surgeon doesn't need steady hands.

Auto-mechanic: this one is more qualified. Due to the industry needing tradesman, many companies are willing to educate even drop outs on the job. This doesn't mean they don't need or use math just because they flunked High School. It only means they had to learn it later.
    Mechanical work sees most the math done when performing diagnostics. For example reading and interpreting bars, vacuum and pressure gauges, it's a lot of physics. You need to figure out what the tolerances are and what the margins are and it's a rare thing that you have the books that conveniently list them in tables for all years, makes and models you'll see on a daily basis.
    Besides, OWNING a garage can be very different from being a mechanic. A total non mechanic can own a garage- he just needs to have the start up costs covered and hire mechanics to do the work.