Koans

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by exsto_human, Sep 22, 2003.

1. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Dear NEMESIS.

The reason I appretiate your inputs so much is simply because I too am very interested in Gnostic thought, but I am only very recently opening my eyes to it. I have only realy been studying it for about 6 months, and when I say studying I mean putting the teachings into practice. Therefore what you say interests me greatly, as I can see that you have thought about it at an in depth level. Yes, it's still at the point where your reasoning is subjective. But none the less, it's fascinating.

Good luck to you on your path.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Canute Registered Senior Member

Nemesis

As you say it is sometimes true that "Part of the problem is people relying on simplistic thought for complex subjects".

However imho the reverse is much more often true.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NEMESIS Registered Senior Member

I suppose it's there we officially disagree. Just knew it would happen one day.

My teachers are those that have tapped into the world knowledge and know all. Paracelsus or Flamel are examples of the types I mean. Einstein or Tesla would be others. I believe you are speaking of people who learn, but remain ignorant. The parrot syndrome. The articial memory system (the memory theater) that the Greeks so greatly criticized. Yes, ideas must be applied and completely understood. Like understanding unity. Otherwise you become no more than a walking dictionary. Dictionaries are fine, but since when is a dictionary Shakespeare? Further if our soul contains all forms, then it needs all forms to complete it.

For some reason most (not everyone) seems to be deluded into thinking that things are simple. Knowledge is not simple except on a comparative sliding scale. Like splitting the atom. That is simple for_________? (fill in the blank) It is because esoteric information is kept from the masses. It always has been. So people internalize New Age wolf vomit. Koans in and of themselves provoke thought. If you were not meant to think on a deeper level they would not be used. Further students have been historically separated so that this can be accomplished privately if not secretively.

In terms of explanations, understanding things gives you the needed tools to explain something simply. Like Einstein's famous, "Time is what keeps everything from happening at once." Do you think he perhaps knew more about this subject? Also information gives one the tools to interpret what is shown to them. One of my flashes was that when we learn, we do so by a process similar to holding down or pressing the black keys on a piano. I suppose it would be likened to hitting a chord involving the black keys. I was shown this very clearly. I still have no idea what it means. Other flashes have been confirmed. One was that we are programmed to die by some type of cell in our eyes. Slowly our eyes let in less and less light. The less light, the more havoc this plays on our cells as they cannot replicate properly nor can they remain healthy. Consequently, they begin to disintegrate. This causes our death. This happens with sound as well. That is the whole purpose behind yoga and meditation. Using mantra sounds helps gain needed energy for light and sound are two hands of the same arm of energy. Sounds provides energy internally. There is also a more profound reason for we have an inner sun much more powerful than the external sun we are dependent upon. If we do not find the path to our inner sun and switch the external dependence to the inner, we will indeed die. This has been validated recently as I did hear in the news of a cell in the eye that does just this. So my teachers and guides know what I need and what I need to know. They also know when I need validation for some of this information is "out there" and one begins to wonder if it is indeed correct.

So if you are not interested in knowledge, I am. Or if your knowledge seeking leads you in another direction, then Sat Nam. But I would find it ill-advised to criticize someone who attempts to gain knowledge. It's very funny that others have attempted to discourage this as well. In the summer, I sit outside on my front steps with a pile of books and read. The sunlight is very refreshing to read by. It seems everyone and their brother had a comment on why "I" should not be sitting there "wasting my time" reading. I finally put my headphones on and shut them out. That is some analogy is it not? It is the way of the world that sex, drugs and rock and roll seem to head the list of noble pursuits, while escape from this world through knowledge still remains at the bottom.

Dear exsto human:

If I may recommend one book to you on Gnostic thought. It is called 'The Hidden Tradition in Europe" by Yuri Stoyanov. It is an excellent book on so many levels. Perhaps you've already read it, but if you haven't I would suggest you do so.

Good luck to you and to anyone who pursues a path of spirituality. It is very hard work.

NEMESIS

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Canute Registered Senior Member

Hmm. Ok, but I prefer the Buddhist approach to knowledge. They tend to burn their books somewhere along the way and I think it's for good reason. Still if you're comparing the pursuit of knowledge to sex, drugs and r&r then you have a point.

(Btw it wasn't Einstein said that, I think it was Everett or Wheeler)

Good luck

Canute

8. NEMESIS Registered Senior Member

Dear Canute:

I think at this point you are more showing your ego and the need for someone to take a stick to the side of your head than anything else.

What point do you make in these statements except that it is you that cannot apply information? Why do you feel the need to say that it was Wheeler or Everett or Einstein that originated the quote when I did not say anything such thing? Einstein made that statement. He is, in fact, famous for making it. It is here we try to not be a parrot and egotistical and think how could two people have said the same thing. Is it just possible the Einstein quoted or repeated what Wheeler said? If it is then again, why do you feel the need to assert yourself in this way since the point wasn't whether Einstein was the "originator" of this statement only that he was "famous" for it? Freud did not invent the Freudian slip either, but nonetheless the concept bears his name. The same is true for Tiffany lamps. Tiffany did not invent the process, but stole it.

Also in terms of the Buddhist approach to knowledge, you know nothing. Of course, they burn their books. They have TEACHERS who POSSESS all knowledge. If you have a direct master that teaches you all and puts you in line with knowing all, why would you need to read books that are mostly incorrect? Again, I really don't understand your point, Canute. Do you possibly think that these disciples are illiterate fools?

I think it is incumbent upon me now in receiving such responses from you to ask myself why? To figure out what shadow side of myself you represent. The answer is loud and clear for I often berate myself for pursuing "knowledge" when this "knowledge" does not get me anywhere. You can't use it at parties as it is usually a little too heavy to speak of on a social occasion. You can't speak of it in intellectual discussions as it is tinged with religion and, therefore, you run the risk of offending some and getting into a fight. You can't get ahead with it as it has nothing to do with material success and the material world. And, of course, you can't even speak about it to the general public because people, like you, just don't get it. So then why? I do so for ME. For my freedom and release. As I stated in another post, I am not a Buddhist. At heart, I am a Gnostic and Alchemist. That is what I initially started pursuing and this all led me directly to yogic thought since all methodologies are chasing the same goal. I incorporate and interpret what I need to and do so by the same internal guidance that has led me to this point.

So I would say you are divided. You say you wish me and others to remain ignorant and yet you yourself parse. You say you do not wish me to teach and say what I know and yet you try to lecture me. I share what I have learned and you tell me that you know more by nit-picking and yet offering nothing. Is there a measuring line in the sand that I do not see? Or is there a mark only you see and on which you compare yourself to others with? According to Ouspensky, comparative knowledge is part of the formatory apparatus that doesn't even approach thought and therefore can only be considered a reaction. Thought is when you no longer compare and instead know what you are and what you know. So I say to you that I know what I am and what I know. If you cannot see that or do not care to, then it is because of a defect in you. I do not want nor seek your validation.

So get your own house in order and then you may throw stones. Or wield sticks....but I suggest you use it first on yourself.

Sat Nam, Canute,

NEMESIS

9. Canute Registered Senior Member

Nemesis

That is undoubtedly the all-time strangest response I've ever received on this forum. It's certainly the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard about Buddhism.

As to Einstein I couldn't give a damn who said your quote. I think you're wrong but if you don't care I don't. Do you have an assertiveness problem?

My apologies for doubting your great wisdom and certainty, I shall try not to make the same mistake again.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  10. Canute Registered Senior Member

Nemesis

A while ago you wrote this.

"I quite agree with you about us being one entity. We all have the same source. We are somehow refracted. Like an image in a broken mirror. Interestingly enough, if a hologram is broken, each tiny piece reflects the exact same image as the whole. It’s something to consider. This refracted mirror theory is something I am working on at the moment in a psychological sense."

Have you come across the metaphor of 'Indra's Net'? In case not here's a beautiful description. (Sorry about the upper case, it came that way and I can't be bothered to change it).

FAR AWAY IN THE HEAVENLY ABODE OF THE GREAT GOD INDRA, THERE IS A WONDERFUL NET WHICH HAS BEEN HUNG BY SOME CUNNING ARTIFICER IN SUCH A MANNER THAT IT STRETCHES OUT INDEFINITELY IN ALL DIRECTIONS. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE EXTRAVAGANT TASTES OF DEITIES, THE ARTIFICER HAS HUNG A SINGLE GLITTERING JEWEL AT THE NET'S EVERY NODE, AND SINCE THE NET ITSELF IS INFINITE IN DIMENSION, THE JEWELS ARE INFINITE IN NUMBER. THERE HANG THE JEWELS, GLITTERING LIKE STARS OF THE FIRST MAGNITUDE, A WONDERFUL SIGHT TO BEHOLD. IF WE NOW ARBITRARILY SELECT ONE OF THESE JEWELS FOR INSPECTION AND LOOK CLOSELY AT IT, WE WILL DISCOVER THAT IN ITS POLISHED SURFACE THERE ARE REFLECTED ALL THE OTHER JEWELS IN THE NET, INFINITE IN NUMBER. NOT ONLY THAT, BUT EACH OF THE JEWELS REFLECTED IN THIS ONE JEWEL IS ALSO REFLECTING ALL THE OTHER JEWELS, SO THAT THE PROCESS OF REFLECTION IS INFINITE

THE AVATAMSAKA SUTRA
    FRANCIS H. COOK: HUA-YEN BUDDHISM : THE JEWEL NET OF INDRA 1977

11. NEMESIS Registered Senior Member

Um, thank you?

And I don't remember saying nor can I see where I've said anything about Buddhism other than they are learned and that their teachers know all. And this offends you?

Did you have a change of heart? Or is it that you have not given up on me?

Thank you for this. Again, it is validation for the information I have received. No, I did not read this, but what I was shown and taught is much the same thing. It means I am coming to a true understanding of what this actually means. I just interpreted it in my own way, but the meaning behind both descriptions is not subjective and a truth.

As far as knowledge goes, I in no way take credit for being intelligent or think myself wise. I am still an asshole in all senses of the word. I have been SHOWN and TAUGHT things. There is a huge difference. If I told you what I was shown last night (a fleeting image upon awakening in the middle of the night), you would have some idea of what I have been up against. I have been following the most ephemeral of paths. I do not have a flesh-and-blood teacher. That is why these "footprints" that others have left, let me know that I am following the invisible, tasteless, intangible bread crumbs and going in the right direction.

I again take no credit for anything that I stumble upon for it's all about world knowledge. Tapping into it and then you know. It comes from God or the source and returns to it.

But we must make ourselves open to listen and learn. Are we in agreement on this?

NEMESIS

12. Canute Registered Senior Member

Total sarcasm I'm afraid. I was bloody annoyed at your unwarranted, arrogant and insulting post. Never mind, I'll live.

What you said was this, with great authority:

"Also in terms of the Buddhist approach to knowledge, you know nothing. Of course, they burn their books. They have TEACHERS who POSSESS all knowledge. If you have a direct master that teaches you all and puts you in line with knowing all, why would you need to read books that are mostly incorrect? Again, I really don't understand your point, Canute. Do you possibly think that these disciples are illiterate fools?"

The fact that this is utter nonsense does not in itself offend me. However the way you arrogantly state it does, as does your your comment that 'you know nothing'. Perhaps I do, but you don't know that, and you are very clearly not in a position to judge. It is hard not to see such comments as profoundly arrogant. You haven't done the research.

Yes and yes. I decided your post was so odd that you must have been on something when you wrote it.

Be careful of taking a metaphor for the real thing. Indra's Net is something to be understood through experience, not via second hand metaphorical descriptions. An intellectual understanding of it is useful but it is no replacement for observation and direct knowledge of it. One does not learn much about a painting by reading someone elses description of it, one has to go and look.

You may well be right. However I'll stick my neck out and suggest that you may be not entirely heading in the right direction, and are in danger of over-intellectualising something that can not only be known and understood more simply but, as most philosophers assert, which cannot be known at all by means of reasoning alone.

I'm not quite sure yet.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. NEMESIS Registered Senior Member

I find this all interesting. For some reason, my higher mind is kicking in and I am not reacting to what you are saying. And the only thing I am on is a chair. But I think the criticism was an interesting way of getting your foot up my ass.

Since I'm inert at the moment, I find it interesting that first you said something that obviously bothered me. I reacted. My reaction bothered you. Why? Not because I had insulted Buddhism as you initially stated, but because I had insulted YOU. Now the thing to keep in mind is that because of my reaction and your reaction to that which I stated, you would know and have experienced what I felt concerning this feeling of being insulted. This would be in keeping with your notion that reasoning alone can not bring us this type of Gnosis. So you yourself experienced that process which is known as "being insulted." But rather than realize what was internally processed and handed to you on a silver platter, you state again that which initially caused my reaction which was, "However I'll stick my neck out and suggest that you may be not entirely heading in the right direction, and are in danger of over-intellectualising something that can not only be known and understood more simply but, as most philosophers assert, which cannot be known at all by means of reasoning alone." Hmmm....I suggest to you at this point that you have not followed your own advice. I have followed my mirror theory and see this quite clearly and do not want to go through the same thing twice. So it seems my methodology is working quite well. Not that it is better than yours, but it is bringing me to a dispassionate place where I can learn and not react. That is where I wish to be for it is there we learn because we can see.

So I will cease reacting to what you say in an emotional way. I will also cease to fear your reactions to what I may think or the path I choose. If I don't know what I'm doing is correct, how can I expect others to know? Further why would I care? I also feel much the same as you do about internal experiences, so I don't know why the difference in opinion about this when there is none. Do you suppose that I am replacing this with the written word? No, the words are giving a context and a path to follow. Like in this post for instance. This is what I consider zone fusion and what was known by the Alchemists. For the hallmark of Western experimentation is to change or vary something to achieve a varied result. But to achieve zone fusion, one repeats the exact same process...for every once in a while a magical transformation happens.

Consequently, I will do what I would not have done before. I will post the rest of my diatribe and silly intellectualization for those who may get something out of it. Please note, dear Canute, that Parts I and II are to be read in conjunction with Part II.

Thank you again for your note to me and for the smiley face.

“I want to know God’s thoughts…the rest are details.” Albert Einstein

HIGHER INTELLIGENCE — PART II

This will be a follow-up to my prior treatise on the beginnings of higher thought and transformation. This is at the request of one. You can see it does not take much to get me started. I should say at the outset that for me, the above quotation says it all.

Since we are discussing a triune deity (the brain), I thought it appropriate to break this discussion three parts: I. Missing Symbols: Why We Need Dream Interpretation, II. The Brain’s Division as Explained Through Greek Mythology, and III. The True Place of Consciousness — The Heart.

“I become aware of something in me that flashes upon my reason, I perceive of it that it is something but what it is I cannot see. It seems to me only, that, if I could conceive it, I would comprehend all truth” Meister Eckhart writing about a Pagan sage meeting another

I. Missing Symbols: Why We Need Dream Interpretation

At one time alphabets were based and related to “shape-forms.” Some of the earliest examples of linear symbols in Europe were found in Magdalenian cave sites (12,000-17,000 years before the present time). There is also a skull discovered at Mezhirich in the Ukraine, painted with tiver (red ochre) that dates from 14,000 years ago. These identifiable symbols are still recognizable today. They include the runes, the cross, the swastika and many religious and magical sigils. Why the need for these symbols? You see, they were based on the notion of entopic forms. Entopic forms are those forms seen when the eyes are shut. Theories abound, but one thing is clear. Neurophysiology has identified phosphenes, geometric shapes and images embedded in our subconscious. These are lodged within our visual cortex and neural system. When one’s consciousness has been altered, these forms are produced. They are universal in nature so it matters not from what country, educational background or supposed religious elitism one finds themselves believing in. These entopic forms used in meditation are for one thing only. They are the pathways that lead to trance. Thus the hidden use of alphabets that used these shapes to generate their form. They were used to induce trance to help us find our way home.

Our present day alphabets are not built along such lines. They have no such meaning and so language has further separated the great divide between right and left brains, and our subconscious and conscious minds. While our left brains easily understand this strange enigma of language, in order for our subconscious to understand, this knowledge must be broken down into symbols that the ancient languages incorporated into their form. This is the reason that in any system of magic or meditative practice, one is introduced to such profound symbolism. A magical alphabet simply MUST be learned. The reason is obvious. This alphabet is clearly understood by all parts of the brain and needs no translation. Therefore, the conscious and subconscious minds can freely communicate with one another. For example, the early Egyptians had a ‘one sound, one sight’ system of writing. By the key to this great concept being lost, we have lost the ability to make proper use of our dreams. We are reduced to “guessing” at what our dreams mean as opposed to “knowing.” That is a huge difference. Take also into account that our subconscious holds universal knowledge and you can see that it is most imperative that a bridge be built. A system of symbolism must be learned anew in order for us to make full use of our subconscious mind.

By way of explaining this division between conscious and subconscious, we turn to Greek mythology. It will be the topic covered in the next section. For some, let this story and the following section present you with the key to tapping into knowledge. For now let us stick to this notion of division and how this occurred. We can thank Demeter that we at least have access to our subconscious part of the time. For Zeus thought it fine for his daughter, Persephone, to be kidnapped and married to Pluto. (The name of this God is also a source of contention. Some argue that Pluto is a Roman name and that Hades is the Greek name of this God. Others argue still that Hades is the place and not the name of a God. In Latin and Greek Pluto means “wealth” so I choose to call this God Pluto.) Had Persephone stayed in Hades with no access given to reaching her, we would be doomed. Demeter pleaded with Zeus to tell her where her daughter was, but he would not. Demeter would not accept this fate handed to her daughter and so blighted the earth of all crops. Hekate finally heard of Demeter’s anguish and told her where her sweet child could be found and in some tales, aids the journey. It is because of Demeter (and Hekate) that we have the chance of transforming and reuniting with Persephone. For we can communicate with her in our sleep or half the time. As I said, once you find where her door is, you do not have to wait until dark to say hello.

(Part II already posted)

“God’s ultimate purpose is birth. He is not content until he brings his Son to birth in us.
    — Meister Eckhart

III. The True Place of Consciousness — The Heart

In occult thought there is the profound concept of the “hidden one that lies within our hearts.” There are stories of Rosicrucians who walk the earth who belong to this select group of individuals that have awakened their Sacrificed God. I tell you right now, if someone identifies themselves as a Rosicrucian, they are not. But what is this notion and how prevalent is it? It seems to cross many religions and is a Gnostic experience. A self-revelation and realization.

“Then, set free from the worlds of sense and of intellect, the soul enters into the mysterious obscurity of a holy ignorance, and ..... loses itself into him who can be neither seen nor apprehended ..Then the soul comes to know a special joy: fruition of the touch divine.” – Meister Eckhart

In yoga there is the concept of the tri-fold body, each body encased or sheathed in one another. Layer upon layer. There is first, the causal body. The next, the subtle body. Last we come to the gross body, the body that we see. Each has its own identity and one must get down to the core to find the center of it all. You see there is this notion of karma. For now, I am not concerned with anyone’s “belief” in this. It is a fact. Karmic seeds are chemical residues leftover from our former physical manifestations. Adrenalin leaves its traces so each and every time you have an adrenalin rush, I tell you now that you will pay. In alchemy, an even temperament is key. They refer to it as not overheating the Great Work. The Great Work of Transformation must be performed with an even heat. This means not losing your temper or becoming unduly emotional. But what of this heart consciousness? I touched on it briefly in an answer previously posted. Here is an excerpt of what I wrote:

“You see, you are at this time ONLY using your brain to think. The brain is NOT the central location for higher thought, but conversely, the brain MUST BE UNITED AND PERFECTED before this higher center is found. At that moment, the intelligence “flips” and you begin thinking from your heart. This is what the Greeks, most notably Aristotle, thought and tried to communicate. As always in casting pearls before swine, the meaning was lost and misconstrued and some have mocked Aristotle’s profound vision. Mocking others has always been, and always will be, the tool of the weak-minded and ignorant. You see, in the truth that he spoke he confirmed that the heart, not the brain, was the location of intelligence and thought. Ancient Egyptians also held this belief. The Egyptians scooped out the brain through the nostrils and threw it away after death. However, the heart and other internal organs were removed carefully and preserved.”

I quote from the Upanishads:

“The Self, smaller than small, greater than great, is hidden in the heart of the creature. A man who has left all grief behind, sees the majesty, the Lord, the passionless, by the grace of the creator (the Lord).”

“That god, the maker of all things, the great Self, always dwelling in the heart of man, is perceived by the heart, the soul, the mind;- they who know it become immortal.”

“His form cannot be seen, no one perceives him with the eye. Those who through heart and mind know him thus abiding in the heart, become immortal.”

I now quote from Dr. Paul Deussen:

“The heart is called hridayam, because 'it is he' who dwells 'in the heart' (hridi ayam, Chand. 8.3.3.), small as a grain of rice or barley; an inch in height the purusha dwells in the midst of the body, as the self of created things in the heart…”.

"…Similarly numerous passages in the later Upanishads celebrate Brahman as 'implanted in the cavity of the heart.' The identity of the atman in us with the atman of the universe is expressed by the tat tvam asi of Chand. 6.8-16, and also by the etad vai tad, 'in truth this is that,' of Brih. We quote in this connection only Kath. 4.12-13:

An inch in height, here in the body
    The purusha dwells,
    Lord of the past and the future;
    He who knows him frets no more, -
    In truth, this is that.
    Like flame without smoke, an inch in height
    The purusha is in size,
    Lord of the past and the future;
    It is he today and also tomorrow, -
    In truth, this is that…”

“…As here the purusha is compared to a smokeless flame, so in imitation of this passage, in S'vet. 6. 19, it is likened to a fire whose fuel is consumed; while in S'vet. 5. 9, the contrast between the atman within us and the atman in the universe is pushed to an extreme:

Split a hundred times the tip of a hair,
    And take a hundredth part thereof;
    That I judge to be the size of the soul,
    Yet it goes to immortality…”

“…The description of the atman as a smokeless flame in the heart has been developed in the Yogi Upanishads into the picture of the tongue of flame in the heart, the earliest occurrence of which is perhaps Mahan. 11. 6-12."
    - Deussen, Dr. Paul, Philosophy of the Upanishads

Let us concentrate on the smokeless flame for here is the miracle of change. In order to activate this smokeless flame, one must activate Shakti, Shakti is the female energy that lies at the base of our spine. She has always been symbolized in the form of a snake. She lies coiled. Sleeping. She needs to be reunited with her Greater King, Shiva. This in turn unifies the body and brain in a chemical way. It is close in concept to the Bose-Einstein condensate. For in terms of kundalini, the physical body itself is often regarded as an atom in the body of the human kingdom. What does this mean? It means that Shakti must heat the body up which, in turn, brightens the smokeless flame. This burns up the karmic damage we have done to ourselves making our seeds dormant, but it sets the stage for the dramatic conclusion. Finding unity. For the law of polarity is followed and as the body is heated up, it reacts and cools down. How does this work? The particles making up the material world are of two types: fermion and boson. Fermions are antisocial particles and demand a quantum state of their own. Bosons are social particles and come together in the same state. The bosons obey the Bose-Einstein statistics. The fermions, the Fermi-Dirac statistics. Now electrons are fermion in nature and when bound to nuclei, exist in a shell. This shell allows them to co-habit their own quantum state. But the bosons are different. When an atom is cooled, its wavelength increases. If the atoms cooled are bosons, and their wavelengths overlap, they merge and lose their individual identities. They enter into a quantum state that is indistinguishable from one another and are said to, “dance in perfect unison.” Eric A. Cornell and Carl A. Wieman, “The Bose-Einstein Condensate,” Scientific American (March) 40-45 (1998). Now when these atoms congeal, a very dense medium occurs. The speed of light is slowed down when passing through it. This becomes curious as the yogis have always talked of finding the space between thoughts. Can this medium that is formed allow that space to become apparent? Think of a propeller on an airplane. When at rest, you can easily pass your hand through the gaps. But when the propeller is spinning, try to find the holes even though you know they are there.

The interesting thing is that the practice of kundalini yoga causes such dramatic temperature fluctuations. Some experience their bodies burning up with heat. Hot flashes will occur and some are up all night in discomfort, but then everything slides in the opposite direction. Then one is confronted with intense, bone-chilling cold. I do not know which is worse, but I am just grateful both states occur. For at the end of this grueling process our body, we have taken off our shell and our “atom” (or Adam) is now ready to unite.

We do not have to search the Gnostic texts for long before we see a connection to this concept:

“This Father God created then, seven realms, each more material than the last, until finally this human world was formed and the beings of this world rose and walked, crawled or flew through the skies. But the Father God was vain and jealous, angry and forbidding, not knowing the power of the higher Aeons, nor of the Pleroma, nor even of his own Mother, the Divine Sophia. And when the Divine Sophia instructed him and opened his mind to Truth, he was amazed and refused to divulge these mysteries to those of his own creation. Being a god of the material, social and psychic order, it was not possible for him to be a teacher of the higher mysteries, and Sophia was dismayed by his wrath, anger and jealousy. So when he created the first human beings, She was there and secretly, without his knowing, She gave to them the gift of the Holy Spirit as a divine spark in every human heart.

And it is said, that in the Garden of Eden, created by the lower Father God, that Eve was the manifestation of the Lower Wisdom and that the serpent or snake of the tree, was actually the Christos who urged Eve to eat the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge that she might attain the true Gnosis or knowledge of her origins and realize the Higher Sophia in perfect illumination and bliss. But the Father God, discovering that this secret teaching was disturbing his supremacy in the lower realms grew angry and cast them out of the garden and into the suffering of the world. Yet each and every descendent has this spark and the potential to recover the true Gnosis.

It is also said that it was for this reason that the Christos manifest as a human being, to bring the gift of the Holy Spirit, in all its female power and capacity, to liberate those who cast free from the illusions of the material and psychic realms and to ascend through visions of power and knowledge to the Higher Gnosis, to reunite the lower and higher self, to attain to visionary truth and perfect transparency. The Divine Sophia is the manifest presence of that vision, and this tale, one of Her symbolic forms. And the snake, an image of Higher Wisdom, is a true teacher that reconciles the desires and passions of knowledge with higher insight, overcomes the limitations of a jealous and demanding lesser god and transmits the teachings of the Divine Sophia. In this way, it is said, the faithful attain peace and the passionate, union, holiness and joy.” – Zos Imos

Then we have the words of Christ Himself:

“Most truly I say unto you, unless anyone is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Unless anyone is born from water and spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. What has been born from the flesh is flesh, and what has been born of the spirit is spirit. — Jesus

You see how perfectly Christ’s concise statement is when viewed in the context of this rebirth in the heart. The fact that Jesus is the keeper of the Sacred Heart should make what I am trying to convey crystal clear. The fact that he uses the words, “water and spirit,” should make it even more apparent. For the soul is of water and the spirit fire. It is in the heart we may find Christ as he promised. If this is not enough for you, we have this quotation:

“We are born into the world of nature; our second birth is into the world of spirit.” — Bhagavad Gita

Again, they are almost identical. Our first birth is through our earthly biological mother from a seed of our earthly biological father. Our next birth, and THERE MUST BE A NEXT BIRTH TO ENTER THE KINGDOM OF GOD, is through this spiritual birth. This dropping of birth to the genitals was what the Gnostics described as The Great Fall. They also believed the heart to be the center of creation.

So I have given you many examples of this heart-centered God from many different sources. Is it true that we have such a consciousness living within us? Hidden away awaiting rebirth? It is for each and every one of us to experience this truth. It works no other way. While some are privileged to know a teacher and take things on faith, we still will not realize what is being spoken of until we experience it. It is when our consciousness is flipped and our heart replaces our brain that we are truly enlightened. Compassion reigns and it is only then we are truly home.

From my heart to yours, a sincere wish that you find your King.

Sat Nam,

NEMESIS

14. Canute Registered Senior Member

Sorry mate. You don't bother to read what I write so I'll do the same.

15. NEMESIS Registered Senior Member

Dear Canute:

I can assure you that I always read what you have to say. I enjoy reading you and hearing your take on things. I have on more than one occasion, actually thanked you for what you have said.

I am understanding that our reactions to people have more to do with ourselves than what the other individual actually does. I have seen one person say or do something and not even cause a ripple in the pond, but when someone else does or says the exact same thing, all hell breaks loose.

Given this, I would ask what side of yourself do I represent? Further, why do you have such a difficult time dealing with it?

NEMESIS

16. Canute Registered Senior Member

My problem is that you do not deal with the issues, but just make lengthy announcements.

I made a point about over-intellectualisation and Buddhism. You immediately told me that I know nothing about it. This is not a normal approach to communication, especially when you have no idea what I know and what I don't. It is more normal to address the point that's been made rather than get personal, saying stuff like:

"So I would say you are divided. You say you wish me and others to remain ignorant and yet you yourself parse. You say you do not wish me to teach and say what I know and yet you try to lecture me. I share what I have learned and you tell me that you know more by nit-picking and yet offering nothing. Is there a measuring line in the sand that I do not see? Or is there a mark only you see and on which you compare yourself to others with? According to Ouspensky, comparative knowledge is part of the formatory apparatus that doesn't even approach thought and therefore can only be considered a reaction. Thought is when you no longer compare and instead know what you are and what you know. So I say to you that I know what I am and what I know. If you cannot see that or do not care to, then it is because of a defect in you. I do not want nor seek your validation.

So get your own house in order and then you may throw stones. Or wield sticks....but I suggest you use it first on yourself. "

Well, pardon me for expressing an opinion.

To continue -

To prove that you do know all about it you then confidently posted a completely incorrect statement about Buddhism that clearly shows that you don't fully understand it. When I point this out you assume that I have a personality disorder rather than a point. You do not ask me to explain my point, you accuse me of egotism and assume that I have been personally offended. The thought that you may be wrong about Buddhism (or itellectualisation) does not cross your mind, and you completely therefore ignore what I said in favour of pissing me off.

Rather than address my point you write this:

"Since I'm inert at the moment, I find it interesting that first you said something that obviously bothered me. I reacted. My reaction bothered you. Why? Not because I had insulted Buddhism as you initially stated, but because I had insulted YOU. Now the thing to keep in mind is that because of my reaction and your reaction to that which I stated, you would know and have experienced what I felt concerning this feeling of being insulted. This would be in keeping with your notion that reasoning alone can not bring us this type of Gnosis. So you yourself experienced that process which is known as "being insulted."

I can't keep up with all this. You didn't insult Buddhism, you just misrepresented it. I didn't feel insulted, I felt you were being stupid by failing to consider that your opinion might be wrong. My annoyance was at your arrogance in assuming that that my comments were motivated by ego rather than constituting valid objections that might be worth discussing.

I don't mind starting again, but only if you address my words, not continually ignore them in favour of character assassination or postal psycho-analysis. People are not necessarily trying to put down, nor necessarily mentally deranged, just because they disagree with you. Nor are you necessarily right just because you say so.

17. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Dear NEMESIS, before saying this I'll just say that I have no where near read everything you have said so forgive me for this.

Gathering from what I've read, let me suggest to you that perhaps you do not understand as much as you think you do. Now I have no way of knowing how you react to the above statement, but just PERHAPS there is a hint of fear and/or incredulity towards my words (because you perhaps see your own intelect as superior to mine)?
    If this should be the case is it not possible that the statement is grounded in some truth, that you are missing something vitaly important but are covering this hole with over intelectualization, and didactic dialectic.

Don't get me wrong, I value your words, and while writing this I am trying to observe my own egos reason for writing this, for example perhaps there is a fear in me that you are completely correct and that I am just too lazy to go about all this intelectualization and logical reasoning to get to the level that you are at. I hope you see what I am trying to do here.

Let me just say this, you say much

. And I question this verbal diarrhea. Most spiritual leaders are very laconic people, and I have a sneaky suspition that those of them that are true awakened and enlightened masters, being free from the conceptual prison of the ego, are infact able to understand everything through instantaneous intuition.

I have as a # 1 rule to always observe the ''myself'', how successfull the 'I' am is however a completely different story.

18. NEMESIS Registered Senior Member

Dear Canute and Exsto Human:

You may think anything you like. I find it very amusing and interesting that you have chosen to say the things you have to me. Before I had this interchange with you I had a dream about a tiger that was killed. I knew what was coming by this symbolism and knew how to handle this situation because of it. That has always my litmus test. Can I untangle my unconscious or subconscious thoughts and the answer is, "Yes." I have handed the both of you the methodology to do so, but you have chosen for whatever reason to ignore/dismiss my verbal diarrhea. So be it.

Exsto Human, from an objective standpoint, I don't know what spiritual leaders you are talking about. And to attribute the word "laconic" to them is amusing to me for an entirely different reason, but it follows perfectly the stream I am wading in. For I constantly refer to the current U.S. regime that is in power in Washington as "The Spartans." There are so many similarities, it is like taking Greek History 101. And now you have used the word, "laconic" to refer to great spiritual leaders? When the word's derivation is this:

"Word History: The study of the classics allows one to understand the history of the term laconic, which comes to us via Latin from Greek Laknikos. The English word is first recorded in 1583 with the sense “of or relating to Laconia or its inhabitants.” Laknikos is derived from Lakn, “a Laconian, a person from Lacedaemon,” the name for the region of Greece of which Sparta was the capital. The Spartans, noted for being warlike and disciplined, were also known for the brevity of their speech, and it is this quality that English writers still denote by the use of the adjective laconic, which is first found in this sense in 1589."

So this is what you look for in leaders? A bunch of lewd, crude, ignorant men who eschew art and beauty in lieu of war? Might I suggest the Mongols?

As I said, my "spiritual teachers" are the likes of Paracelsus, Michael Sendivogius, Nicholas Flamel and the like. They used words freely and were never intimidated to limit them to a specific count. Instead they used as many as would describe that which they needed to say. Also Exsto Human, if you really are going to investigate Gnostic thought, be prepared to read many, many, many words. They, too, let their words flow like wine. Nag Hammadi is one small example.

In terms of whether you accept what I say as stupidity or brilliance, the dream of the tiger told me to walk the talk and rely only on pure action without fear of an outcome. That is what I did. The only thing I care about is getting my king on his throne. The momentary victory of this grueling task was enough to prove to me that I'm on the right track. I'm sure I will continue to make mistakes as I'm not perfect, but finding that divine part of myself is something neither of you can ever take away. I still think about it. Perhaps the chance to find yours was something I offered in my gift to you, and that which you have thrown away?

So, Sat Nam, to both of you. May you find whatever it is you are looking for.

NEMESIS

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  19. Canute Registered Senior Member

Yes, well, er, thanks for making that clear. Nat sam to you too, assuming it means cheerio.

20. NEMESIS Registered Senior Member

Dear Canute:

You reveal who you are more and more. Here is the exact meaning of Sat Nam as posted on the www.kundaliniyoga.org website -

"Sat Nam - Seed Mantra

One of the features of Kundalini yoga that makes it so powerful is that we do several things simultaneously. We (1) breathe, (2) internally chant and (3) move (4) in a particular posture or Asana.

The internal chant that we mentally vibrate is SAT NAM. As we breathe, we mentally inhale SAT. As we exhale we mentally vibrate NAM. Listen to the sound Saaaaaat and Naaaam in your mind.

SAT NAM is a Bij Mantra or a "seed sound." Chanting Sat Nam is like planting a grain of sand in an oyster. Our truth gathers around the grain. Over time, as we accumulate our gifts and gather our true essence into our consciousness, we become the pearl of Self.

MEANING

SAT means Truth, unchanging universal truth. It is the vibration that is ever-present.

NAM means name, identity, to name, to call upon, to identify with.

SAT NAM means "Truth is my identity."

When we chant Sat Nam (out loud or internally), we resonate with our true identity, with our own truth.

Greeting others with the salutation Sat Nam, we acknowledge the other's true identity and our mutual divine identities.

Sat Nam is a potent affirmation and a powerful way to cleanse the mind of negative programming. Over time our minds tune into and resonate with who we really are and believe our soul instead of our limited ego. Sat Nam is inner psychology at work."

I practice Kundalini yoga and as a sign of respect to others, I greet them and say goodbye in this way. I'm sorry you don't find it necessary to show the same respect.

Sat Nam,

NEMESIS

21. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

I have the most interesting reaction to what you say.

It's a need to defend my possition.

I wish not to offend you, but I believe that if you are offended. It's because you still need to be offended. You need to feel this emotion in order to learn.

So infact the more I offend you the better.

I will print all that you have said, and take it into deep consideration.

Sat Nam, my friend.

22. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Reading again, I see that you are infact not offended. I admire that.

I would be.

Saying that I changed my mind and totaly agree with you would still be pointless. I can't perfectly 'agree' with you untill I experience it myself.

I hope you can awaken your master soon.

23. NEMESIS Registered Senior Member

Dear Exsto Human:

What can I say except thank you! Thank you for rereading and making that extra effort to actually "think" and not just react. I will have more to say about this for I think in your previous reply you have touched on a very important subject.

As to my not being offended, I am truly grateful that you can see this. I worked long and hard not to be pulled into things and not be led by my emotions. They truly are bondage.

In terms of this entire thread, I am so glad to be a part of it. This thread has turned into a little microcosm of life. It has all the elements and can be used as an invaluable teaching tool.

Now onto this other point concerning reactions and emotions.

This is the part that is fascinating! Notice how you identify what you do as a reaction. Notice how this reaction actually blinds you into thinking that this is how you "think" about what I've said. Notice also how this "reaction" (not thought) initially keeps you in the game (strengthening your position) and actually attempts to pull me into this game because of this. I am not saying that I have never done this, or that I am better than you. Please do not take it that way. It is just that this is a perfect example of the magnetic nature of emotions.

I had a very clear awakening of this point during a stint at this one particular workplace. There was a gentleman there that started flirting with me. I was not interested. It soon turned into abject harassment. I would go home in tears every night. Now the point is not a plea for sympathy, but that I left this place because I could not deal with it any longer. It had become that intolerable to me. Several months later, I saw this "gentleman" on the street. He looked at me and started grinning from ear-to-ear. It was then the lightbulb went on. I realized, "He thinks this is a game!" It then was clear to me that because of his emotions, he had started a game that he was likening to foreplay. Because of my reaction, he thought I was "playing" this game. Also because of my reaction, I was in fact "playing" this game, the same way a deer running from a predator plays the game of victim. An animal reacts on instinct, and if you run from a dog, more often than not, he will attack. This is what separates instinct and emotions from thought.

Now naturally sympathies are generally on the side of the victim, and I am NOT saying that any stupid, senseless game that someone comes up with is the victim's FAULT. This gets into the entire nature or what is right and what is wrong and is another post for another day. What I am attempting to make is an objective point about the nature of THE GAME itself. Because of this duality and polarization, we sometimes gain "energy" from a certain position or stance we take. When we feel a person react in the opposite direction, a magnetic charge has taken place. We then justify our initial posturing by the rationale that this energy has given us. Therefore, we see the other person as "needing" or 'wanting" us to continue this posturing as this is part of THE GAME we play. This is why abusers so often think their victims are "pushing their buttons" and "playing" a game with them. This gives them justification for continuing it and knocking them around. Also as stalkers and their victims. The stalkers are "convinced" that their victims are really in love with them or why would they react in such a way? Is this making sense to you? I hope so. It is so vital and so important a lesson for us all to take in. For we need to see what part we play in the drama and why things happen the way they do. Again, it is not about who is right or who is wrong here, it is about UNDERSTANDING HOW THINGS WORK. This can lead us to a point where we do not play these games any longer and do not ATTRACT this kind of behavior to us any longer. This leads me perfectly to another point I wished to make.

The fact that I am not having an emotional response now is grand. Wonderful. It allows me to see what is written here in a new light. Not from my ego's standpoint, but from the standpoint of knowledge in the larger sense. This is the what I was trying to say about knowledge and reading. It is not that I disagree about the intellectualization of a process. I clearly understood the point both you and Canute made. But very often, intellectualization is THE PROCESS by which you acquire an internalization and a GNOSIS. It is the path that often needs to be traveled. Now in certain rare cases, GNOSIS happens spontaneously. This does happen and I will not deny its existence nor that fact. But more often than not, Gnosis comes about as a direct result of gunning the engine of thought. Just like starting the car engine does not in and of itself make you arrive at your destination, it is the initiation of the process that will allow you to arrive at your destination.

And thank you for your wish that I find my master. I, too, wish this with all my heart. I also wish it for you, Canute, and for the rest of the world. It is a sincere wish and comes from the bottom of my heart.

Sat Nam and if I may say, I believe you are well on your way!

NEMESIS