Koans

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by exsto_human, Sep 22, 2003.

1. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

I will not make any input to the spiritual discussion going on here. However I must take issue with one statement by Nemesis:
    Don't diss Lycurgus, he was doing his best to build a city that would survive. He was a pretty smart guy for his time (which, it should be remembered, was a few thousand years ago) and his main intention was the protection of his city-state; sometimes in a violent world it is reasonable to give war a priority.

Also, Athens fought in the Peloponnesian war juuuuust as much as the Lacedaimonians did.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Nemesis,

Please pardon me for I have not read everything that has been posted. Not trying to offend but it is more than I wish to handle. I have read in Buddhism about over analysis of concepts. I also want to make it clear that I believe each of us are entitled to follow that path that we choose. So, Nemesis, stay on your path. It is what your karma is leading you to do. In my opinion and experience (my path), it seems more simple. But to you, I'm sure your path is suitable to you and your abilities. It is find to post whatever information you feel is worthy but it doesn't make anyones path or life easier to get into a battle of words over concepts. In the end it is beyond the concepts that we aspire to.

Canute,

I have read some of your posts...Honestly, I enjoy them. Some of which are beyond me "intellectually". So I'm surprised that the two of you would be battling the way you have. Differences of opinion are find and constructive criticism is wonderful but going all out to try to prove a point in reality is senseless. I am sure you agree.

PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS~~Awake

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Canute Registered Senior Member

I sort of agree. But in real life it's very difficult to distinguish 'differences of opinion and constructive criticism' from 'trying to prove a point in reality'. Oh that life was so simple.

Cheers
    Canute

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Dear Awake,

Everyone is given free choice, this is not without purpouse. We could not learn and awaken our conciousness if we never made mistakes. As we go along and make these mistakes it is imperative that we learn from them, this is when we acquire Karma. I personaly cannot say which is the true path that leads to enlightenment, the path away from karma and suffering inevitably this is what we all (the ones who are interested in awakening) try to find. For I am not awakened.

But as far as I can see it, there is an alternative to awakening, this is returning to innocence and purity. The great spiral path of life. Simply living life and continuing to make mistakes intentionaly or unintentionaly may after aeons upon aeons lead one to final liberation, in a state of unconcious purity.
    Those who no longer wish to suffer in the NOW must however take a more radical path. Experience is the golden teacher, mistakes are made but they simply must not be made again. We must go down deep inside ourselves and eliminate the very source of the negative aspects of our psyche. To Observe a fault is not enough, it must eliminated.

8. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

You write beautiful words. Anyway, I must agree w/ you. Some people are obsessed with finding enlightenment but I just say enjoy life. Make your spirit happy (in other words don't be all promiscuos just because your body likes it). Sorry for the lame pst I have submitted but I have not written for a very long time.

9. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

exsto_human
    I some what understand your point of view. All I was saying is you can't forcefully eliminate obstacles others are facing on their path. We can try to shine the light on the path to make it easier for them not to stumble over the obstacles but it is all about free will and free choice to follow the path each of us chooses.

Canute
    All I was saying in relation to you is that all that is needed is to make your point, tell your truth and let it be. Yes it's good to keep an open mind but we can't take things personally when we disagree. If we do we just breed ignorance and negativity.

10. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I especially liked the koan about the man who came to the Zen master's door and asked to be taught. The master began pouring the man tea, until it was full, and then continued pouring. When the inquirer could not stand it any longer, he said 'It is overfull! No more will go in!'

The master replied with 'This cup is much like yourself. You are full of your own opinions and thoughts. How can I teach you zen if you do not first empty your cup?'

11. Siddhartha Registered Senior Member

My own favourite was the one (trying to recall it from memory) about how a student had gone round to see his master and they had talked late into the night. Before leaving, the student looked outside and said "It is dark." The master then lit an oil lamp and passed it to the student. Just as the student was about to take the lamp, the master blew it out. The student had his enlightenment.

12. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

:bugeye: I might have to think about that one for a bit...it is a good one, however.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Here are some koans....

"Don't search for Truth, simply stop having opinions"

"A mind is only absolutely pure when it is above purity and impurity"

"Know who you are. Be what you know"

"Without anxious thought, doing comes from being"

"The wave and the sea are One"

"To find yourself is to lose yourself"

"We stand in our own shadow and wonder why it is dark"

"Water is one essence: but drunk by a cow it becomes milk, while drunk by a snake it becomes poison"

"While you are living, know you are dying"

14. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure if those classify as Koans. But they are very good sayings none the less.