Lack of internal dialogue - A plus for meditating?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by horsebox, Jun 2, 2010.

1. horsebox Registered Senior Member

I have no internal dialogue. I've read about people training themselves to shut off their internal dialogue so that they can meditate better. Does this give me a big advantage for meditating? If it does I'll definitely start practicing meditating in order to take advantage of my situation.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

It really depends on what type of meditation you are practicing. Most types teach you to shut out that "internal dialogue" to be able to focus purely on existance without distraction. However, there are types of meditation that require to you... for lack of a better term, "have a conversation with yourself".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I have met a lot of people who before meditating say the same thing - that they don't have an internal dialogue. The first step in meditating is to observe, and gradually become more aware of it.

For the past 6 years I have been using one simple technique to keep your mind focused.

Count in your head
    "one"
    breath in
    (while focusing on the sensation on the tip of your nose)
    breath out
    (focusing on the same/different sensation)
    "two"
    *repeat until 10, and start at 1*
    If your mind wanders, return to 1.

Sit down and do this for half-an-hour. Any time you scratch, or move, or think, or get bored this is your internal dialogue.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jahina Child of the Universe Registered Senior Member

What does this do for you? Why would one focus only on one number at a time?

8. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Focus on breath, use the number so you catch yourself day-dreaming. "Oh what number was I on... shit... 1 *breath*"

9. jahina Child of the Universe Registered Senior Member

But for what reason?

10. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Develop focus. You're unable to recognize your internal dialogue. It is useful to observe it, and eventually control it.

11. jahina Child of the Universe Registered Senior Member

I actually don't understand what you mean at all. I am interested in meditation, and am trying to find out more about it. But I also want to know why to do it in the first place.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Most emphatically yes. Any distraction is a hindrance. However, I have found that when in an enlightened state of satori, the internal dialogue is altered, but doesn't go away. It becomes more free, less driven by anxiety, and you don't identify yourself with it anymore. It's like a brain within a brain. Executive function transfers to another, previously unknown center of consciousness which is perfectly calm, and the dialogue (which can also take the form of images), serves as a kind of engine for the imagination. It informs your responses to a situation in a spontaneous way. It is in fact the source of creativity that is tapped when people become "enlightened". But we have to be paradoxically free of it's grip before we can use it. Making it stop is like trying to catch a feather.

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

But, but... how the hell can you not have an internal dialogue???

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's common in autistic people. I tend to think in images, or I just perceive what is in the range of my senses, not thinking about anything.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

What the heck is an "internal dialogue?" Your Inner Warrior and your Inner Healer arguing over whether you should barbecue the hog or try to resuscitate him?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Um, yeah, pretty much. It's so common, people think it's strange when you tell them that you don't necessarily think in words.

17. Algernon Registered Senior Member

I've been trying to meditate for a few minutes at a time and it actually does help clear out the head, or remove any residue sentiments.

I do try to stop myself from internal dialogue but sometimes it just pops in randomly so I have to wash it out.

I think the most beneficial aspects of meditation is removing lingering moods or sentiments that have carried over possibly from excessive introspection or events from the day before. Depending on the length and duration of the feelings I wish to clear up, I have to spend a proportional amount of time to meditate, and allow those sentiments to "wash away" (that is if you picture your flow of fluids and hormones through your circulatory system as 'carrying' emotions, then your body gets refreshed).

Or at least thats how I picture it.

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

That is weird. I do image things in my head all the time, but it's mostly words. Maybe it's an techie kind of thing? I don't know...

19. Emil Valued Senior Member

Very interesting.
    I found words, a very primitive method of communication.
    I do not ever think in words.
    I see, I understand, I feel, I live-I can not describe.
    Always have problems to put thoughts into words.
    I know many times I am not understood because the words are inaccurate.
    I always dreamed of a sci-fi device that we can transmit thoughts.
    Thus we eliminate many misunderstandings.
    And until now I thought most people are like me.
    But we are different and it is beautiful.

20. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Your sci-fi device can't work. For you to completely know what I mean, you need to be me, and have the same brain as me. You can't possibly know what 'beach' means to me without growing up on one.

To learn a language you must also learn a culture.
    etc.

Also this visual thinking you guys describe can also be coined our mental sketch-pads. I find that name more fitting.

21. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

*monologue hahaha ...my Latin has seen better days.

22. Emil Valued Senior Member

..hmmm......yes, and with words you are able to do this.:scratchin:

On must have a vast culture.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Everyone has an internal dialogue, one cannot reason or construct arguments without it. Everyone has rehearsed what they will say at a job interview on a first date, this is an obvious function of internal dialogue. Everyone has it but not every one is aware of it..