learning korean.

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Apr 11, 2007.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i started learning korean 3 days ago, i have memorised about 5 phrases verbaly so far, and to count from 1 to ten (the hard way to count apparently)

a korean couple live in my building downstairs to us, and i have been practising martial arts with him for a few months now, i teach him shaolin gong fu and taiji, he teaches me kendo, and his younger cousin came to stay and offered to teach me korean in her sparetime and i teach her english, (yes i can actualy write in english, and speak it by the way)

ney e rumen (my name is)

salang hey (i love you)

jai ga (goodbye)

anyung has'e yo (hellow/greetings)

jai mo lul getsa (i dont understand)

joeun harn e bonae (have a good day)

1, hana
    2. duul
    3, sed
    4, ned
    5, tah sod
    6, yah sod
    7, ill cob
    8, yah dur
    9, ah hope
    10, yall

apparently im not supposed to use those phrases to address or speak to elders, i have to alter them a little bit, i am learning the written side to the numbers and phrases i just posted, but i am taking longer to memorise them as its alot harder than english

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(to me anyway).

everything i wrote above is in a form of pinyin, although the korean language apparently does not have a pinyin system, so i made one up myself to help me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I just surprised my korean friend with a salang hey!

Her eyes almost popped out of her head. lol

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Pin-yin is a transliteration specifically for Chinese. There are at least two others in common use but Pin-yin was officially adopted by the communist government and is used by all major news media. There are a couple of different Korean transliteration systems into the Latin alphabet. Perhaps your friends don't know it. I can't figure out if any of them is an international standard, but here's the one that was recently made the standard in South Korea. You should start learning one right now. If you learn wrong it will hinder your progress when you start using a dictionary.

You should also learn the Korean phonetic alphabet. It's very easy.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm