Let's change a few things.

Discussion in 'World Events' started by tetra, Mar 20, 2001.

?

Will you attend/participate in a mass petition and/or protest?

1. Most Likley

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Maybe.

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Don't feel like it.

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. FA_Q2 Member Registered Senior Member

Rambler,

Well, ill say this to you. When you just started pot you cold have done things a lot easier. Now that you are so used to the high you most likely do just as well, but there is still that reaction time problem. However I have driven both high, drunk and both and the truth of the matter is their not even close to s bad as driving tired, yet there is no law against that. As a matter of fact I would be willing to bet that a lot of accidents that are attributed to alcohol are actually a result or fatigue after drinking the whole night.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

There's other reasons I don't drive

I would even admit that my suspension for failing to appear at a DUI hearing is the reason, except that I quit driving about three months before the State of Oregon (my former license) told me that the State of Washington (my current home) had suspended my license some two and a half years earlier. Details aside, I drove just as poorly stoned as I did sober.

Regarding forced rehabilitation, I think that's up to the criminal in the sense that they might choose to hide behind drug addiction to excuse another crime. If nobody's bleeding when the crime is done, even if it's a damn liquor-store holdup, if nobody's hurt then fine, you get one shot in rehab, weapons prohibition (where applicable--not necessarily in cases of shoplifting, and the like), and other measures to demonsrate your willingness to consider society's wellbeing. If you go out, get high, and go again, there's almost no excuse until we audit the state of rehab programs. But you get the picture

Also, fine questions regarding public courtesy and public venues. I think it should be up to the management. In Seattle, I think there's one, maybe two movie houses you can smoke in, and they're specialty houses with a full liquor bar and restaurant seating. But by and large, I'm happy with rules against smoking in the baseball park, in theaters, and so forth. But at rock and roll concerts--say, Black Sabbath at Mercer Arena--you can pretty much smoke crack if you want--so long as you don't bother your neighbors. In that case, an interesting thing happens: smokers look straight up and exhale to the sky. Seems only polite not to blow your smoke in the hair of the poor schmuck sandwiched in front of you; and dear heaven, it's tough not to burn people. But that's a case of power to the people; half want to smoke cigarettes, and half the rest want the cigarette smoke to cover their grass. The remaining quarter seems to hold the opinion that they would be very disturbed if the police interrupted their Pearl Jam or Black Sabbath for marijuana. At Phish, in '97, security teams tried to gang up and track down individual pot smokers, literally chasing one guy with a roach past twenty people smoking glass bubblers in a circle that the other umpteen-thousand people are managing to respect for some obscure reason. In '98, they only ventured after people on the rim of the amphitheatre, where they had best access to the offenders. The third time I saw Phish, and also at Roger Waters last year, security didn't bother. They knew they had lost the battle and that everyone involved would rather have thousands of pot smokers than nobody at all. This seems fair, but I admit I'm going on the prejudice that I've never met anyone who hasn't gone to a Phish show expressly because of the pot smoke. I know a couple of oldsters who used to go to Grateful Dead shows because it was their excuse to get high and not ever have to carry drugs. Strange, that, but I'm rambling now.

As to the reports ... I need to get off my ass and do that. (But first ... cough-cough ....)

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This is the problem

The Drug Enforcement Administration, after ignoring a petition by Jon Gettman and High Times magazine for five and a half years, decided last week--only days before the Oakland Cannabis Buyers' Co-Op was scheduled to argue before the Supreme Court--to formally deny the petition to reschedule marijuana and remove it from Schedule 1. Schedule 1 describes controlled substances meeting certain standards:

* High toxicity
    * High abuse potential
    * No approved medical use

The result of this is aptly summed by the Drug Enforcement Agency:
    It seems to me that if the subject didn't involve throwing citizens in prison, such an idea would be so laughable as to improve any afternoon.

This kind of crap is the basis upon which whole generations are being misinformed. Technically, failure to meet obligations at school or work can be connected to cold medicine or caffeine, though I'll drop the caffeine point here, since I think I'd be hammering that point to death.

In the meantime, congrats to the State of Kentucky, who are officially delving into industrial hemp, as of 3/20. We're all watching, anxiously.

thanx,
    Tiassa

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

From personal experience... A relative newcomer to marijuana, driving and under the influence of a particurlarly good weed, may very possibly experience 'a slowing down of time', so that a 10 minute trip may seem like an hour. Alienation may also occur, so that suddenly he may not recognise his location, think he's gone past his turn-off etc and become slightly paranoid for a very brief period. This could put the driver at risk.
    More experienced smokers don't tend to have this problem, unless they're also very tired and tend to drive more slowly and with extra due care and attention.
    Conclusion: Smoking and driving may be slightly dangerous for new smokers.

8. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Hi All,

A few posts above I mentioned the Nimbon protest festival...its going to happen again in May, and they are trying to erect a giant Joint monument...

This state is full of ridiculous monuments like a giant Pineapple or Giant Cow or Giant Lawnmower...I'm not joking.

Nimbon is building a giant Joint. LOL can't wait to see it.

9. FA_Q2 Member Registered Senior Member

Nor can I. Maybe I should take it as an example to live by and erect on on my lawn. Or maybe a gigantic "tobacco" water bong that really works! Just a thought.

10. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

IF THE WORLD WAS FILLED WITH NICE PEOPLE I DOUBT THAT MANY PEOPLE WOULD TAKE ANY TYPE OF DRUGS
    barrr/...maybe lsd cos thats kinda different
    and it would be used in a educational way not an escapism as much as introduction.
    IF YA KNOW what i mean

just a little thought
    from a little thought guy
    ...mostly

11. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

LSD..goodbyeeeee!

Cannabis tinctures, teas, cookies etc... now that's a MUCH safer way to finding the ID!